Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't say great or good championship players. I said the best ones. Konsa, Hause, Hourihane or AEG were never great championship players, or the best ones. They were bang average to decent in a playoff team or bought for having potential. Grealish and Mings were clearly among the best in that league and thet have shown to hold the PL level which was my point. 

Surely Konsa was one of best CBs down there, we paid 12m for him! Mind you I remember people going mad about that Webster guy based on a couple of YT highlights. Brighton paid 20m for him and he's been pretty average for them.

Edit: O.k by your criteria Kalvin Phillips would be one but next to no chance he leaves Leeds if they actually get promoted.

Matheus Pereria been really good for WBA although seems they've fixed a 10m deal to sign him permanently from Sporting Lisbon. They have poor defenders though so nobody worth looking at there (same for Fulham).

It's hard to actually find good defenders in championship given how pinball the majority of games are. Even the top teams aren't that good at the back as we showed going up. Would rather pick up an experienced international one from abroad.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd take Webster over Engels for sure, and Adams over Wesley. That's easy. 

I'd also argue Konsa was a long way from being one of the best CBs in the championship. 

He's been very average for Brighton so doubt he'd solved our defensive woes. He was same as Konsa down there, CB for team that didn't make top 6 but cost twice as much. Shane Duffy would be a better fit as aerially dominant CB as Zat mentioned the other day.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's been very average for Brighton so doubt he'd solved our defensive woes. He was same as Konsa down there, CB for team that didn't make top 6 but cost twice as much. Shane Duffy would be a better fit as aerially dominant CB as Zat mentioned the other day.

I thought Webster was excellent for Brighton at Villa Park earlier this season. I’ve seen him live on tv for Brighton a few times and looks good. I think in a few years time, we might be saying that he’s one that got away 

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd also argue Konsa was a long way from being one of the best CBs in the championship. 

I think Webster is better than Engels but he also cost twice as much

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Konsa stats were comparable to Axel’s in pretty much every aspect and is more experienced. Difference is didn’t come from Man Utd. Che Adams won’t cut it in the prem and Webster cost almost x3 as much as Engels.. 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Konsa stats were comparable to Axel’s in pretty much every aspect and is more experienced. Difference is didn’t come from Man Utd. Che Adams won’t cut it in the prem and Webster cost almost x3 as much as Engels.. 

Engels was £9m, Webster was £20m

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I don’t think Adams is Premier League quality either

Mm Wesley is miles better than Adams and Engels is same level as Webster 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mm Wesley is miles better than Adams and Engels is same level as Webster 

No he isn't.  Anyone that actually watches football knows this. If we get relegated I'd do a hefty wager to VT that Wesley won't even do the business in the chsmpionship. 

And no Engels isn't better than Webster, but if that's your opinuon, feel free. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think we should look at the best players in the championship. I'm sure there's PL level players there we can afford that will hit the ground running. They won't always have fancy names like Wesley or Trez mind. 

Don't know what's going to happen this summer with money across football, could be a miserly one. 

Just last time we went down, we could have timed it perfectly to be the most disadvantaged as possible which is delightfully Villa. On top of everything else the Grealish offers will only be £20m instead of £40m.

Some of those players could be a bit cheaper than usual which we must take advantage of.

• Like 1

No he isn't.  Anyone that actually watches football knows this. If we get relegated I'd do a hefty wager to VT that Wesley won't even do the business in the chsmpionship. 

And no Engels isn't better than Webster, but if that's your opinuon, feel free. 

Che Adams is one of the crappest strikers in Premier League history, Wesley is not even near the crappest Villa strikers in Premier League history. Webster for 20 million is not much better than Engels for 7, Brighton play 3 at the back all season which makes the defence seem more solid

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Che Adams is one of the crappest strikers in Premier League history, Wesley is not even near the crappest Villa strikers in Premier League history. Webster for 20 million is not much better than Engels for 7, Brighton play 3 at the back all season which makes the defence seem more solid

Adams is better than Wes.

Agree on Webster. Engels is a good buy who will be great value for £7-8m by the time he leaves.

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

On top of everything else the Grealish offers will only be £20m instead of £40m.

Great, we will get to keep him then, because our owners wouldn't consider selling him for anywhere near either of those amounts. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree on Webster. Engels is a good buy who will be great value for £7-8m by the time he leaves.

I havnt seen anything from him to say he is any good. Would he have made us better this season I am not sure. Even vs us last season he looked crap

If Shane Long is ahead of you and outscoring you then football is not for you

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Being good value doesn't mean the player is better mind, which was the argument. You're correct about Adams though 😁

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have seen anything from him to say he is any good. Would he have made us better this season I am not sure. Even vs us last season he looked crap

If Shane Long is ahead of you and outscoring you then football is not for you

I disagree sir. I think we'd have been much better off until Samatta came at which point Adams could have dropped to the bench. I'd say the same for Shane Long as well.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Being good value doesn't mean the player is better mind, which was the argument. You're correct about Adams though 😁

Missed the point you were talking about.

We needed some value signings this summer though, had so many to buy, I feel Engels was one.

Would have helped if we didn't spend £55m plus on Wes, Trez, Targett and Luiz, all of whom weren't the reliable starters we needed. That negates any value we picked up elsewhere sadly.

Edited by Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We needed some value signings this summer though, had so many to buy, I feel Engels was one.

Would have helped if we didn't spend £55m plus on Wes, Trez, Targett and Luiz, all of whom weren't the reliable starters we needed. That negates any value we picked up elsewhere sadly.

We might disagree on Wes but I think Targett going forward is decent and has some value though left back seems to be a blindspot for Villa for over a decade or more. Bouma probably the only decent left back since Wright

Trez we know is pretty shit but Luiz was a vanity signing, if we were mid table he might have been good but crazy to spend the money on him and expect him to help us in a dogfight

• Like 2

On 09/04/2020 at 09:22, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think we should look at the best players in the championship. I'm sure there's PL level players there we can afford that will hit the ground running. They won't always have fancy names like Wesley or Trez mind. 

I think we need the right balance of signings this year if we stay up. We need to be looking at a couple of players with PL experience, the best players in the championship and quality/high potential signings from abroad.

All in all I would say we need at least 3 or 4 upgrades on the starting 11 to really push on