Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d pay it for him, he showed his potential with us last season I thought 

last summer I would, this summer I would consider it utd mugging us off thanks to getting him to sign the new contract with no intention of playing him but using it to inflate his value

**** em

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We should’ve gone in for Tuanzebe last Summer after his loan with us finished. 

I'm pretty sure that we did/or would have, but he chose to sign another contract with Manchester United instead. :( 

Not sold on Tuanzebe, he showed promise but he also had a huge flaw in his game being useless in the air.

He's turning 23 and has missed almost all of this season due to injuries and being benched.

If we are to bring in a new CB I rather it be a more experienced finished article, Tuanzebe would likely be competition for £7m Engels and £12m Konsa rather than a clear improvement. And he's cost at least that much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

last summer I would, this summer I would consider it utd mugging us off thanks to getting him to sign the new contract with no intention of playing him but using it to inflate his value

**** em

Yes but they all do that, even the Snake did us a favour by signing a new contract, it’s just the way he behaved in the whole saga that did him no favours.

I don’t blame Tuanzebe for trying to make it at the club he’s been at since a kid. Whilst I’m not saying we should just bend over for Utd on the price, I wouldn’t chuck away a deal, for a good player, out of a petulant idea that he somehow snubbed us. 

I’d always agree with your last two words though 😃  

10 minutes ago, John said:

I'm pretty sure that we did/or would have, but he chose to sign another contract with Manchester United instead. :( 

It’s his boyhood club, he showed loyalty to them but barely played this season. If we promised him first team football, he’d come here I think, he isn’t going to get it at Manchester United any time soon

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

I really like Axel but would hope we go for a cut price deal or another loan with option to buy. I would hope we wouldn’t pay over the odds with his injury’s this season (and tbf the season before when he was on loan with us)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s his boyhood club, he showed loyalty to them but barely played this season. If we promised him first team football, he’d come here I think, he isn’t going to get it at Manchester United any time soon

I don't think that we could promise him first team football, he would need to back himself to earn it, like he did with them. I would also like to think that he would come here if the opportunity to do so arose again, but I suspect that the club he's with are happy to have him as a bench warmer and only got him to sign a new deal to ensure they got top dollar for him, when/if he does leave, when he's surplus to their requirements.     

1 minute ago, John said:

I don't think that we could promise him first team football, he would need to back himself to earn it, like he did with them. I would also like to think that he would come here if the opportunity to do so arose again, but I suspect that the club he's with are happy to have him as a bench warmer and only got him to sign a new deal to ensure they got top dollar for him, when/if he does leave, when he's surplus to their requirements.     

I think you are mostly correct but I think we could promise him first team football with the state of our defence currently. With the fact that he has already played regularly for us during his loan spells here, I think he would want to come here

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it is unlikely that we will sign 2 centre backs from 1 team (Smalling and Tuanzebe from Manchester United). We should’ve gone in for Tuanzebe last Summer after his loan with us finished. They are great players though, no doubt.

ManU might be inclined to sell either one, as they probably need to offload a few players. So I agree we probably won’t sign two of their players, I think we have a good chance of being able to get one.

only risk I see is them trying to include Grealish in the deal, which is a no for us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AXD said:

ManU might be inclined to sell either one, as they probably need to offload a few players. So I agree we probably won’t sign two of their players, I think we have a good chance of being able to get one.

only risk I see is them trying to include Grealish in the deal, which is a no for us.

Hypothetical situation, what if Grealish wants to go there? Then what?

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

then its hard to see past another onomah scenario IMO

tuanzebe would magically become a £45m player

I also think they are increasing due to FFP but player swap deals are still relatively rare (some good articles out there on it, especially in Italy) 

Dean Smith likes signing players he's worked with in the past. Signed Rico Henry and Sawyers for Brentford, Jota for us.

Even if we do get Axel back we'd need an experienced head at CB aswell. That was a failing once it became clear Chester didn't have the fitness to start games anymore.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dean Smith likes signing players he's worked with in the past. Signed Rico Henry and Sawyers for Brentford, Jota for us.

Even if we do get Axel back we'd need an experienced head at CB aswell. That was a failing once it became clear Chester didn't have the fitness to start games anymore.

If we got Axel and an experienced head, we’d have too many centre backs and 1 or 2 would want out I think

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes but they all do that, even the Snake did us a favour by signing a new contract, it’s just the way he behaved in the whole saga that did him no favours.

I don't see the Snake did us too much of a favour myself. He signed a new contract in January, which increased his wages for the rest of the season and included an £8m release clause, which significantly under valued him and kept his options open. He then moved in the following window for that release clause. Yes, we did get a fee which was around £20m less than his actual worth (less whatever any wage increase/signing on fee cost us). For me, it was mainly him that he did a favour for. 

Axel, should have known better than to sign another contract that tied him to a club that really only wanted him as a bench warmer and then to make more money on him when they eventually deemed to offload him. I feel sorry for the lad really and I also wouldn't say no to bringing him back, if the price was right and he was up for it.     

Tuanzebe has been injured for almost the entire season, not that I think he'd had gotten much of a look in anyway because he's likely 5th choice if they are all fit but still.

Even if Manure wanted to use him they couldn't because he's been injured 75% of this season.

I thought Axel just signed for the extra year option on his contract but it looks like it's longer than that.  I'm not sure a permanent deal is really all that likely, he will probably cost a fair bit and no guarantee on how many games he would play.  Loan with the option to buy would be decent.  I suspect that kind of deal will be popular for the next year or so.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

I thought Axel just signed for the extra year option on his contract but it looks like it's longer than that.  I'm not sure a permanent deal is really all that likely, he will probably cost a fair bit and no guarantee on how many games he would play.  Loan with the option to buy would be decent.  I suspect that kind of deal will be popular for the next year or so.

I think we should go for him, he’s young and will improve over time, he’s very good now

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Then he’s an idiot. If he wants to leave us, he would do so to win cups and titles. No way ManU are doing that in the near future. Many of the best players in the world went to ManU since Fergie left and they never really achieved anything. Grealish should aim for Liverpool or City.
Of course, if he has his mind set on it, we should squeeze every last penny out of whoever is buying him, but no sense in keeping him here if he wants to go.

6 minutes ago, AXD said:

Then he’s an idiot. If he wants to leave us, he would do so to win cups and titles. No way ManU are doing that in the near future. Many of the best players in the world went to ManU since Fergie left and they never really achieved anything. Grealish should aim for Liverpool or City.
Of course, if he has his mind set on it, we should squeeze every last penny out of whoever is buying him, but no sense in keeping him here if he wants to go.

He would get to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world at one of the best stadia with great players like Bruno Fernandes, Odion Ighalo, Anthony Martial the list goes on. I wouldn’t blame Grealish if he did want to go there