Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Alright he plays for Valencia anyway and they have Rodrigo, Maxi and a young Korean player as other striker options so just thought they might get him off the books given his age.

Think I mentioned him before but perhaps Justin Kluivert could be looked at. Has struggled to get a regular game at Roma since joining them last summer.

mate we ain't going get any of those. UTV... Absolutely no chance

Trust me. No chance with any of them also Lee Kang-in (Young Korean)  you are  on about  either......  Nada chance

Ebere Eze (Q.P.R. is more in our range (Best player in Championship) or Habib Diallo of Metz (Possibly) few other's player;s known with potential we got chance on

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Tbh I'm pretty happy with what I've seen from Samatta so I'm not even that desperate to get a new forward in! :lol: Whether he's rated or not Wes will also be back sometime and doubt we'll get rid of him yet.

More pressing to me is a more reliable CB partner for Mings, an experienced DM and good quality wide player. If we could actually sign some good player in those positions and keep Grealish then that surely would mean mid table/lower of top half.

Eventually though (and Useless makes the point above) to really progress at premier league we're going to have to step up the transfer targets and go for some proven quality.

Wolves have done it last few years, Newcastle will start doing it now and Leicester have done it last 12 months (would you have just dismissed them signing Youri Tielemans last January?).

If we can get this season out of the way and still be in premier league by whatever means and FFP gets relaxed I really don't understand what will stop that given everyone thinks the owners are great. Perhaps we are playing the long game on Tammy Abraham which I certainly wouldn't be against if that is an actual plan at the club.

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tbh I'm pretty happy with what I've seen from Samatta so I'm not even that desperate to get a new forward in! :lol: Whether he's rated or not Wes will also be back sometime and doubt we'll get rid of him yet.

More pressing to me is a more reliable CB partner for Mings, an experienced DM and good quality wide player. If we could actually sign some good player in those positions and keep Grealish then that surely would mean mid table/lower of top half.

Eventually though (and Useless makes the point above) to really progress at premier league we're going to have to step up the transfer targets and go for some proven quality.

Wolves have done it last few years, Newcastle will start doing it now and Leicester have done it last 12 months (would you have just dismissed them signing Youri Tielemans last January?).

If we can get this season out of the way and still be in premier league by whatever means and FFP gets relaxed I really don't understand what will stop that given everyone thinks the owners are great. Perhaps we are playing the long game on Tammy Abraham which I certainly wouldn't be against if that is an actual plan at the club.

I just think that Abraham has had a terrific season in front of goal for Chelsea, it came as no shock to me. It’s his club, where he has grown up. I’d be amazed if we did sign him but it would be great if we somehow did. He’d probably cost an awful lot too 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

Chelsea would've sold him if Sarri had stayed or they'd basically have had any other manager than Lampard imo. Of course the transfer ban aswell.

We were just incredibly unlucky with those factors as in normal circumstances they'd have sold him to us for a little more than what we paid for Wesley (with a buy back clause) which they did with Nathan Ake and Bournemouth. Could well still be a major reason why we get relegated.

They recalled him from his loan spell, he played a few games but eventually the 30m from Bournemouth was too tempting and they sold even though he's no worse than Tomori or Zouma. Ultimately business plan from Chelsea last decade to help them with FFP is to cash in on many of their young players on loan so doubt Tammy would've been any different considering how high his stock was last summer.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea would've sold him if Sarri had stayed or they'd basically have had any other manager than Lampard imo. Of course the transfer ban aswell.

We were just incredibly unlucky with those factors as in normal circumstances they'd have sold him to us for a little more than what we paid for Wesley (with a buy back clause) which they did with Nathan Ake and Bournemouth. Could well still be a major reason why we get relegated.

They recalled him from his loan spell, he played a few games but eventually the 30m from Bournemouth was too tempting and they sold even though he's no worse than Tomori or Zouma. Ultimately business plan from Chelsea last decade to help them with FFP is to cash in on many of their young players on loan so doubt Tammy would've been any different considering how high his stock was last summer.

Are you saying that we have a chance of signing Abraham permanently? 

29 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think the players that we have bought from Belgium and The Championship are good enough?

Jota not good enough. Wesley, Nakamba, & Engels have shown glimpses of their ability and deserve a 2nd season. Samatta also looked decent, Targett has shown enough.  Trezeguet & Guilbert very much borderline for me. I thought ElGhazi would be better than he has shown thus far. Konsa also should have a better 2nd season as he gains experience. We need better wide front men, and I’d like to see us find a young Pepe Reina type at GK, think we need an alert young GK with good, quick distribution. If we’re a Premier League club next season and have a £140m budget again then we should look to sign 2 or 3 very decent players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Do you think the players that we have bought from Belgium and The Championship are good enough?

I think the risk / reward and value for money can be good in Belgium if our scouting is also good

the championship is overrated and overvalued, too much bollocks about understanding our game and the physicality, I think the best players in the championship are ridiculously overpriced

• Thanks 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think the risk / reward and value for money can be good in Belgium if our scouting is also good

the championship is overrated and overvalued, too much bollocks about understanding our game and the physicality, I think the best players in the championship are ridiculously overpriced

Agreed. The price tags being placed on players who’ve had a few decent months in the championship is now making signings from the championship prohibitive, high risk. I’ve liked the look of Benrahma at Brentford, but not so much at £30m. The only player I’ve seen in the championship (and play against a Premier League team and look good) that I’d spend £30m on is Kalvin Phillips at Leeds. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Agreed. The price tags being placed on players who’ve had a few decent months in the championship is now making signings from the championship prohibitive, high risk. I’ve liked the look of Benrahma at Brentford, but not so much at £30m. The only player I’ve seen in the championship (and play against a Premier League team and look good) that I’d spend £30m on is Kalvin Phillips at Leeds. 

You’d spend £30m on a Championship player?

Phillips is top class and is their equivalent of Jack. If he's not playing for Leeds in the PL next season, I would anticipate there would be a couple of PL clubs that would be prepared to offer up to £30m for him, if we're not in a position to do so.

1 hour ago, John said:

Phillips is top class and is their equivalent of Jack. If he's not playing for Leeds in the PL next season, I would anticipate there would be a couple of PL clubs that would be prepared to offer up to £30m for him, if we're not in a position to do so.

£30m is way too much for him I think and he’s a nasty piece of work too, don’t get wrong, I think he’s a very good player, I just wouldn’t want to see him in a Villa shirt

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

I think Phillips would make a massive difference to our side, he's exactly the kind of midfielder that we need. In hindsight we probably should have just paid Leeds what they wanted for him in the summer, even if it meant sacrifing a few of the other signings to make it happen, but at that point he'd only really had one standout season so can understand why we would have been reluctant, but he's been just as good this season and you can tell what a difference he makes to Leeds when he's out injured. He'll probably be in the premier league with Leeds next season, and there's still a very good chance we will be in the championship, so a lot of things have to go our way for that happen, and there will be other clubs interested in him.

• Like 2

Phillips is another one if these Championship midfielders that look good at that level, reminds me of the hype over Bridcutt or Jonny Howson years back and neither pulled up trees in the top flight. 

Few weeks before the stoppage I saw him dominated in midfield by some guy called Bem Pearson of Preston. 

Think I rather we spent big on Benrahma than on Philips if we are to raid the Championship.

Partly because it's a position we are even more desperate at and partly because he will be less overpriced.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Think I rather we spent big on Benrahma than on Philips if we are to raid the Championship.

Partly because it's a position we are even more desperate at and partly because he will be less overpriced.

im the opposite, I think the PL is a grave yard for wingers, would rather go younger and cheaper and hope they throw in a one and done wonder season even if we then ending up flipping them

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Phillips is another one if these Championship midfielders that look good at that level, reminds me of the hype over Bridcutt or Jonny Howson years back and neither pulled up trees in the top flight. 

Few weeks before the stoppage I saw him dominated in midfield by some guy called Bem Pearson of Preston. 

Ben Pearson is pretty good aswell although his awful disciplinary record has stopped big premier league interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Hit and miss really. Nakamba, Wesley and Engels have had some good games and some stinkers. I think they would have been very good signings in a team where the spine was well established. Wesley didn't get a break all season until the injury regardless of form or fitness and he was playing on his own with the nearest person to him about 20m away. We changed the system and got players closer to him and although it was just the one game against he looked a hell of a lot better in that Burnley game. I think Engels' game against Spurs at home sums nearly all these signings - some good stuff, some bad, a goal and a terrible mistake at the end.

Konsa - very young with a hell of a lot potential. I don't think he was ready and again it would have been nice to have that spine in place but that was a luxury that we didn't have. Jota - he's playing the game 15 years too late. He would have been good when not all players were top athletes but he's not physical enough. He helped us get rid of Gary Gardner though which was helpful.

So to answer your question - I haven't a clue. I think we did well to assemble a squad to be competitive in this league within the financial restrictions. We were a win away from safety before the stoppage. Therefore, all in all, they are possibly good enough. One thing I am certain on is that if we are in this league next season we need to improve both in consistency and quality. This flirting with relegation is too close for comfort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£30m is way too much for him I think and he’s a nasty piece of work too, don’t get wrong, I think he’s a very good player, I just wouldn’t want to see him in a Villa shirt

£20m-£25m, would be my valuation. I agree he's a nasty piece of work and I can see why he might not be quite to your taste. I just think, we might be more solid with someone like him in the team and that we would have a slightly more favourable view of him, if he was one of ours. I think it's probably academic in any case, as we would need to stay up and they would need to stay down, for this to have any chance of happening. ;)