Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just saw something regarding us signing a Danish international scrolling across the sky sports news breaking news ticker,  but didnt catch it all.. 

Was waiting for it to come around again but theyve gone to an ad break!

Edited by Junxs

21 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Some room in our wages for some top players, given we didn’t add many high wage earners and released some high earners before the season started.

A8E7794D-2512-4560-A0E8-B4BC58196A03.jpeg

Very useful table if accurate. Although not using this years wage bill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Just saw something regarding us signing a Danish international scrolling across the sky sports news breaking news ticker,  but didnt catch it all.. 

Probably the signing of Stine Larsen for our Women's team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Apparently we've signed Danish international Stine Larsen. For the women side that is.

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Some room in our wages for some top players, given we didn’t add many high wage earners and released some high earners before the season started.

But, but , those figures would mean Liverpool are amongst the biggest wage payers....

We all know that isn't true 😂😉

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Spoiler

Ohh,  finally a use for those endless months it took me to plug through reading "Soccernomics". 

To wit; there's an interesting correlation between total wages against league position (rather than say "total transfers paid for the same players" vs league position).  Assuming I've done my excel correctly; the big outliers were Sheff U (finished 11 places in the league higher than their ranking for wages), Wolves (9 places higher), Burnley (7 higher), Crystal Palace (4 lower), Bournemouth and Everton (5 lower) and West Ham (7 lower).  Interestingly Watford were 1 place lower than their wage bill ranking, whilst we were 1 higher.

So it would appear better players (who would command higher wages by virtue of their betterness at doing football, rather than just going all Peter Ridsdale/Seth Johnson in negotiations) are in order for some progress next season.

Edited by CardiffGreens
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I fell for that yesterday to lol. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

Probably the signing of Stine Larsen for our Women's team. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently we've signed Danish international Stine Larsen. For the women side that is.

😤

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, wish our womens team was called something else

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Would anyone go for John Stones? Apparently W Ham are going for him for £20m (BBC Gossip) 

For 20mil I would, what is he 26? Certainly better than Hause and Engels, we need to improve the squad with premier experience and he’s certainly got that 

• Like 1

Stones is good at playing the ball out of defence but less effective when it comes to defending. If he's been showed up at Manchester City, what would he do in another defence? Better in a back three perhaps?

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Stones no thanks. Dreadful defender and weak as you get. Ok on the ball but if wasn't English he be in the 3rd division in other countries

He's also on £100k/week at City.

For that kind of money and the transfer fee he would command you could get a proper good player if you know what you are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

Very useful table if accurate. Although not using this years wage bill.

I’d be surprised if it was much different given we let some high earners go and mostly brought in cheap or young players.  What it’s shows though (if accurate) that even if we doubled our wage bill we would still only be mid table.  Also league positions are reasonably close to wage bills.  My take from it is that we are going to have to spend significantly more on wages with the right talent to get further up the league

1 hour ago, useless said:

We want a right-back, and want more premier league experience....

So wouldn't be surprised to us make a move for Clyne

What on Earth happened to Clyne? Just injuries or something more behind the scenes?

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d be surprised if it was much different given we let some high earners go and mostly brought in cheap or young players.  What it’s shows though (if accurate) that even if we doubled our wage bill we would still only be mid table.  Also league positions are reasonably close to wage bills.  My take from it is that we are going to have to spend significantly more on wages with the right talent to get further up the league

We should just double everyone’s salary.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I've got doubts about his physicality but his goal record is an absolute joke. Just really silly impressive.

Do you think he can contribute if his side doesn't have the ball for 10 mins? He'd probably suit a better side, but very few  good teams really have "goal poachers" any more. I suppose someone like Ings is the ideal example for him.

Honestly, despite romping the championship last season we played some turgid stuff and were often bailed out by him. Just doing it by himself. He scores all sorts of goals too from losing defenders to meet a cross to getting the ball with his back to goal outside the box, turning and scoring. He was playing at a championship team before us and they had a really small budget and still scored a ridiculous amount of goals. Again, this year is his big test and whatever anyone thinks of the level he's been playing at nobody has gotten close to his record from over the last three years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

We should just double everyone’s salary.

Haha you know what I meant.  To get better talent into the club, they expect better wages.  We just have to do our research properly and with a bit of luck get the right talent in but be prepared to pay higher wages.  What we cant do is buy projects that are on 10-15k per week and expect to be further up the league.  At the same time we dont want to over pay and get mercenaries in or players that will sit on our bench earning big salaries like Micah Richards did.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, sne said:

He's also on £100k/week at City.

For that kind of money and the transfer fee he would command you could get a proper good player if you know what you are doing.

This type of thinking is needed more in our fanbase, we won't be braking our wage structure without very very good reasons. Our previous approach to wages in the prem almost ended up with us having no club to support.

Is John Stones a very good reason? No.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Now the Newcastle takeover is dead in the water I wouldn't mind us having a poke at Saint-Maximin, but I think he's still got 4 years left on his deal.

This is Newcastle. He’s probably got a 24 year deal