Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

14 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Dean Smith press conf whe asked about transfers seemed like "we are basically done" to my ear. Second question in the conf.

Or, he's deliberately said that to make it clear that we don't have a lot of money left (likely true anyways) so that other teams (i.e., Werder) don't try and mug us off on transfer fees on deadline day.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

But why, hes on our books, hes not going anywhere, made some appearances last year, played in the cup this year. Look forward to the day that our squad is strong enough that even our second string is better than him but were nowhere near that yet. Would play before nakamba and Ramsey for me.

Fair enough mate, will agree to disagree. Personally, I don’t think Lansbury is a valuable member of the squad nor can he make a telling contribution. I would also place Kalinic, Nyland & Taylor in that bracket. Probably Hause too. We need better, in other words.

I try to only judge the players on ability and form, not attack them or question their character unless there is an obvious issue. Ultimately, if we want to progress and become a more successful and competitive club/team then we need the right level of quality and cannot afford to carry any passengers no matter how likeable/personable they seem to be.

Sometimes we can be overly sentimental with certain players and overlook or forgive their lack of talent or contribution. I don’t think Davis is half as good as some do for example.

Glad we got rid of Hogan most of all tbh.

23 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Dean Smith press conf whe asked about transfers seemed like "we are basically done" to my ear. Second question in the conf.

I don’t place much value or weight on what we tell to the press, why would we reveal all to them and how would it benefit us? In any way?

Better to give off the impression that we are finished and have limited funds...

There may be a hint here or there (as journalists are relentless little shits) due to the volume of questioning, but no more than that I would think.

We are credibly and sensibly run these days and like to play our cards close to our chest.

I see no reason to rule out further signings and deadline day activity. Any opportunity to strengthen the side (within our capabilities/limits) should and I suspect will be taken. As we offload reserves/deadwood, it enables us to bring more & better players in too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I've said all summer I'd definitely put money on him leaving. No idea where he'll go though.

Other than us and Leipzig, have any other clubs been linked to him?

I have to say, hats off to Jota agreeing to his contract being cancelled. I mean it will have been partly paid up but not fully.

Shame 1 or 2 other players don’t take the same decision rather than taking the club for every penny.

• Like 1