Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

35 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

So the best since Larsson? That may or may not be true (and if he ends up coming here I will certainly hope so) but the list of SPL top scorers in the 7 or 8 years before Edouard doesn’t indicate there is much competition for that title:

Kenny Miller, Gary Hooper, Michael Higdon, Kris Commons, Adam Rooney, Liam Boyce, Leigh Griffiths, Alfredo Morales

Yes the best since him. I simply said he was the best in that time he simply isn't comparable to the regular quality of the SPL, anyone who has seen him play just once can see this.

• Like 1

I think this is a crucial season for McGinn. If he keeps giving the ball away in vital areas of the pitch he may find himself out of the team and replaced with some on ne who can hold and distribute the ball better from further back in the midfield. 

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I agree with both Kiwivillan and TRO. I think it all comes down to the opposition. When we play against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd I think we would be better having a big DM playing alongside Luiz. Someone physical and in the face of the opposition. But, against the rest, I think Luiz together with an energetic, fit, McGinn is good enough protection for the back four. 

I feel one of the big selling points for getting in a DM with size, is that we seem pretty shite at defending set pieces. I don't know if stats back it up, but it's just a feeling I have watching us. It's not like our side got many big players to begin with, and you can see how much it helps just having Hause in there for the set piece teams. It even made a difference when Wesley was there to defend deep. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

6 hours ago, TRO said:

well.....Grealish is attacking and McGinn is essentially attacking.

are you going to leave it all up to Luiz to stop the opposition pouring forward?

If John is firing on all cylinders, he could wade in, Jack as much as I love him, doesn't stop Marauding raiders....but for me there is more questions than answers......not sufficient dedicated steel in midfield for me, sorry.

What are you hoping to see @TRO? Do you want Grealish from the left and 3 midfielders (mcginn, Luiz, CDM 6"+) OR Grealish central alongside Luiz and another (Grealish, Luiz, CDM 6"+) meaning mcginn drops to the bench?  (Obviously, second scenario would see jack pushing much further forward than the other 2)

I only ask, because if it's the second scenario, it's something I've been thinking for some time now. As harsh as it seems on mcginn, if it meant putting a proper CDM in there alongside Luiz and allowing a front 4 to 'do their thing', I'd be all for it. 

The good thing for me, however, would be that it creates options and different ways to play. Which is something we didn't have last year and it showed. We were very one dimensional and it's why, I think, we were so easy to play against.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 2

I think it would be mental to move Grealish away from a free roaming left position. If it ain't broken don't fix it. 

This would also explain interest in getting a new number 8. I hate using words like number 8, but I've understood it's a thing in England. Personally I played CM/DM for years and was number 4!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I feel one of the big selling points for getting in a DM with size, is that we seem pretty shite at defending set pieces. I don't know if stats back it up, but it's just a feeling I have watching us. It's not like our side got many big players to begin with, and you can see how much it helps just having Hause in there for the set piece teams. It even made a difference when Wesley was there to defend deep. 

The stats do back it up, they showed a stat in the Brighton v Chelsea game last night about goals conceded from corners. We were in the top 3 conceded. Which is a worry. 

And, I did make the facetious comment yesterday about Allan being 5"9, but I'm with yourself and @TRO on this, a big powerful CDM is what we need. This would also present help in defending set pieces like you suggested!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I think this is a crucial season for McGinn. If he keeps giving the ball away in vital areas of the pitch he may find himself out of the team and replaced with some on ne who can hold and distribute the ball better from further back in the midfield. 

People on this board keep underestimating McGinn. He’s more than “work rate and endeavor.”

“McGinn is a superb ball carrier and has averaged 2.1 successful dribbles per 90 minutes in the Premier League this season — level with the widely praised Jack Grealish and behind only Keinan Davis (2.4).

As can be seen in his Smarterscout actions map below from the current Premier League season, McGinn loves to pick the ball up deep inside his own half and use his dribbling ability to progress his side forward quickly. Smarterscout also rate his dribbling at 93/99.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/worldfootballindex.com/2020/07/john-mcginn-aston-villa-transfer-analysis/amp/

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think it would be mental to move Grealish away from a free roaming left position. If it ain't broken don't fix it. 

This would also explain interest in getting a new number 8. I hate using words like number 8, but I've understood it's a thing in England. Personally I played CM/DM for years and was number 4!

Even if Grealish’s raw number of goals and assists go down by moving him central, I think the overall attack will improve when he has intelligent players in front of him. 

I think we do need a big, skillful and more defensive option in midfield who will fight with McGinn for the spot with Jack and Luiz. For me we should go all out for Ibrahim Sangare.

Our problem as fans is we’ve been without people on the bench who could be starters for so long, we try to fit every signing into the first XI. We need good options to cover injuries and rotation during a very busy season. 

Jack is our No.8/10, we should pick every team around that centre of gravity based on the opposition. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I agree with both Kiwivillan and TRO. I think it all comes down to the opposition. When we play against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd I think we would be better having a big DM playing alongside Luiz. Someone physical and in the face of the opposition. But, against the rest, I think Luiz together with an energetic, fit, McGinn is good enough protection for the back four. 

I can see this, however isn’t this effectively Nakamba’s role? If you are wanting a big defensive midfield to play 8/10 matches a season, your not going to get someone top quality are you? Those players are going to want to play week in/week out. That’s why Nakamba is probably a decent squad player, he can come in for those 8/10 games easily and provide defensive protection (and to hold leads too, though I hope we have got him training harder on this element). He has had some ropey performances I accept, but I definitely recall some pretty decent ones too. Who exactly would want to come in for that role? Unless it’s a complete unknown, I am struggling.

I really think people forget that all our players now have an extra years experience of playing in the premier league and they are not in the twilight of their careers. They will learn and a lot will definitely improve on last years performance, including Nakamba. That was the real basis of the transfer policy last summer (and this one), buying players that will continue to improve and grow with the club. Some will miss but some will definitely hit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, thunderball said:

Same guy, despite the comical moniker (it’s Steve Stride😉) no idea if he has any ITK or not but he is popular with fans

I really hope this is not Steve Stride, why on earth would he want to tarnish his relationship with the fans by getting involved with this kind of shit.... It never ends well. 

4 hours ago, rayk said:

Alves was undoubtedly crap at Boro but calling the Eredivisie a Mickey Mouse League is a bit silly when you consider all the great players that have started their career there.

Yes, they started their career there.

The minute they showed the slightest bit of promise, they were gone for a bigger challenge.

Ergo... Mickey Mouse league.

point being - scoring a shitload of goals in sub standard league does not a world class player make.

Spending £40 MILLION on said player based on a scoring record from a sub standard league is  in itself lunacy - but to state that you would have him over Tammy?  Based on what? A bunch of youtube videos where he scores for fun against defenders probably at the level of the EFL div 2?

Take a punt at £20m? Ok maybe.

£40m? Choose him over Tammy? Give your head a wobble.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Comes from evolution of the formation.

image.jpeg.dcfc8f44604154a92bc211a295f5437c.jpeg

If we still have money then I'd like to get a CM in, I'd rather that Lansbury was knowhere near the first team. I would also like Benteke back as I think being back here would give him the boost he needs, he would offer something very different to Watkins and could help Davis bring his game on. 

I can't see us spending £20M on a reserve striker and it's clear Watkins will be first choice, and also I have a feeling Wesley will come good when there is less pressure on him.

I think we are OK at CD, but it would be good if we could bring in someone older to guide the younger players when Mings inevitably gets injured. 

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

There have been plenty of players to come out of Scotland recently who have been of a very high standard, Eduoard is the best forward to have played in the SPL for about 20 years

He may be.

But here's a chap that scored at a rate of 1 in 2 (including a season where he scored 31 in 37) in Scotland after managing 12 in 26 in EFL DIVISION 1

Quite frankly had a more varied, higher quality of goals than Edouard if you ask me.

I don't remember VTers clambouring for us to sign him at some club record fee?