Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ndidi -Leicester

Hayden- Newcastle

just to name 2......

Everton just signed Allan.

Look, I'm not saying its easy, but someone has to shield Konsa and Mings from midfield......I just hope Dougie can.

You might want to put one back in your head because Leicester finished 5th.

As someone pointed out earlier, Allan is 5'9. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

what is the point of a 27 year old on loan from us, unless its only to save wages?

Sorloth was shite in the PL and after a couple of seasons on loan is being talked about as a £20m player. Obviously Samatta is older so unlikely to go for that much, but it might be a case of them thinking he doesn't have what it takes and a loan could make him easier to sell for more money.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Jizz Hornkamp has actually just scored so maybe he wouldn't be such a bad signing after all? He's got plenty of character and spunk from what I've seen

Screenshot (4).png

Would be harder to keep a clean sheet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

• That was last season.....they might not finish that high this season.
  • Allan is aggressive and protects the CB's.....thats what I want to see, his height is not ideal granted....Michael Essien in his youth would have been good too,even though he was not that tall.

I was just stating what my ideal CDM would be.... sometimes compromises have to be made.....but surely you can distinguish the difference between an Attacking midfielder and a Defensive midfielder.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • That was last season.....they might not finish that high this season.
  • Allan is aggressive and protects the CB's.....thats what I want to see, his height is not ideal granted....Michael Essien in his youth would have been good too,even though he was not that tall.

I was just stating what my ideal CDM would be.... sometimes compromises have to be made.....but surely you can distinguish the difference between an Attacking midfielder and a Defensive midfielder.

I think Leicester are still likely to finish right up there. 

I want someone with a bit more of a physical presence too, but if Luiz carries on his post lockdown form I think we're great there. I'd probably be looking for someone in that mould to play a bit further forwards. 

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think Leicester are still likely to finish right up there. 

I want someone with a bit more of a physical presence too, but if Luiz carries on his post lockdown form I think we're great there. I'd probably be looking for someone in that mould to play a bit further forwards. 

Look, I agree, Luiz had a good post lockdown.....but with 38 games to negotiate, I would like a powerful addition to help.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

What relevance is height to CDM? The greatest ever IMO was 5'9" Makélélé

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look, I agree, Luiz had a good post lockdown.....but with 38 games to negotiate, I would like a powerful addition to help.

People keep suggesting powerful additions in various positions in some cases knowing that x amount of Villa players are first names on the team sheet so are these powerful additions going to compete for a position or be happy on bench or are we going to run up a ridiculous wage bill when we have loads of players in some cases we can't get off the books?

The mid 3 in a 433 is most likely to be Luiz McGinn Grealish

Then we have CM cover/bench of Hourihane Lansbury Nakamba Jota and arguably Ramsey

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People keep suggesting powerful additions in various positions in some cases knowing that x amount of Villa players are first names on the team sheet so are these powerful additions going to compete for a position or be happy on bench or are we going to run up a ridiculous wage bill when we have loads of players in some cases we can't get off the books?

The mid 3 in a 433 is most likely to be Luiz McGinn Grealish

Then we have CM cover/bench of Hourihane Lansbury Nakamba Jota and arguably Ramsey

so who is going to stop the opposition from running through the middle?

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

If you don't think Luiz and McGinn are good enough defensively in the middle we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Nakamba is a decent DM cover player also

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What relevance is height to CDM? The greatest ever IMO was 5'9" Makélélé

and Busquets is 6'2....patrick Viera was 6'4.....yaya Toure was 6'2.....Fabinho 6'2  they wasn't bad either.

you are taking it too literally....but there is a correlation with top CDM's in my opinion....exceptions of course there are.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Having a few inches extra in leg length isn't going to make all the difference. McGinn and Luiz break play up through reading the play and then being strong rather than just being a big lump in the middle. It's okay asking for a bigger midfielder but plenty of the bigger midfielders are too slow/can't read the game as well/can't do anything with the ball when if they win it. 

The obsession with size doesn't hold water for me. Allan, Kante, Fernandinho, Jorginho, Wijnaldum, Henderson etc etc are not huge. 

Yes, there's set-pieces to deal with but a fast attacker running across a slow but bigger defender can still easily score. 

Edited by Wezbid

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If you don't think Luiz and McGinn are good enough defensively in the middle we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Nakamba is a decent DM cover player also

We conceded enough goals last season to suggest to me, we could do better to defend the goal.....if you can see that significantly improving, good for you, I am not so sure with the additions so far, as it is all attacking players,Inc Matty Cash as an attacking FB

The Goal keeper is a welcome signing......Luiz made a significant improvement post lockdown.....John McGinn had a mixed season, with an injury hampering his energy and intensity, hope he is back to his best .....Nakamba, for me loses his man too easily, so far, from what I have seen....his positional judgement is suspect.

If you have confidence that will all be ok.....fine.....I am not so sure.

maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

I would like 4231 double pivot of Luiz and McGinn with Grealish playing #10 behind Watkins with the 2 flashy wides we're supposedly signing. No DCM thrown in to that and changing formation to 4141 unless the occasion specifically necessitates it

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1