Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t believe I’m going to do this, but I’m with Villalad with this one. All he’s doing is expressing his concern over the transfer. I think he’s right to be doing it as well. 

We’re all very excited to join Werder forums and hear about all the positive things they are saying about Rashica but when the opposite is happening, we’re very quick to discredit Lyon fans. 

I think you can gage a lot about a transfer based on several different things but for me, the selling teams fans opinion on a player is great insight into what you’re getting. Unfortunately, in this instance, the overwhelming consensus is we’re getting a very average player and paying a pretty penny for the privilege. And looking at some of the comments, ‘average player’ is being very kind to him.

Villalad, known for the hyperbolas, has a point and is only going on what he’s seeing on social media and across the board. 

For me, the alarm bells are ringing on this one, and before the ‘Give the lad a chance’ brigade bombard me, do you really think supporters can’t be concerned and still support a player when he arrives? I’ll 100% support him and hope he is a success but I’m very worried we’re not improving on a position that we desperately need to improve and paying out £20m for a lad who won’t cut it. To top it off, we’re giving him a 5yr deal which means that he’ll be hard to shift if he doesn’t perform. 

To summarise. Fully behind Traoré, hope he’s great but will be surprised if he’s a success here based on what I’m reading. 

UTV

plenty have expressed concerns but with the caveat by saying they'll reserve judgement until he puts on the villa shirt. this is more than just a 'concern' though:

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If there ever is the greatest example of being held at ransom, this would be it.

20 million for Bertrand Traore is a robbery. Great potential of being the worst signing of the season.

• Like 2

To sum up:

It's better if the fans rate the player we're linked with and are sad at the thought of losing him, but there are many examples where that isn't the be all and end all because not every player fits every team and can excel given the right coaching and opportunity.

Right?

• Like 2

Just now, lexicon said:

To sum up:

It's better if the fans rate the player we're linked with and are sad at the thought of losing him, but there are many examples where that isn't the be all and end all because not every player fits every team and can excel given the right coaching and opportunity.

Right?

i actually think it's OK to be contradictory here. if fans of a club are gutted to lose a player, i take that as a good sign; but if they think he's shit and are happy to see him go i take no notice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i actually think it's OK to be contradictory here. if fans of a club are gutted to lose a player, i take that as a good sign; but if they think he's shit and are happy to see him go i take no notice.

There is also the resentment from fans when a player leaves whether he is good or shit 

I bet Everton and Fiorentina fans were gutted reading Gueye and Veretout thread on here while New England Revolution were jumping for joy when signing the David Silva/Messi clone in Gil

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t believe I’m going to do this, but I’m with Villalad with this one. All he’s doing is expressing his concern over the transfer. I think he’s right to be doing it as well. 

We’re all very excited to join Werder forums and hear about all the positive things they are saying about Rashica but when the opposite is happening, we’re very quick to discredit Lyon fans. 

I think you can gage a lot about a transfer based on several different things but for me, the selling teams fans opinion on a player is great insight into what you’re getting. Unfortunately, in this instance, the overwhelming consensus is we’re getting a very average player and paying a pretty penny for the privilege. And looking at some of the comments, ‘average player’ is being very kind to him.

Villalad, known for the hyperbolas, has a point and is only going on what he’s seeing on social media and across the board. 

For me, the alarm bells are ringing on this one, and before the ‘Give the lad a chance’ brigade bombard me, do you really think supporters can’t be concerned and still support a player when he arrives? I’ll 100% support him and hope he is a success but I’m very worried we’re not improving on a position that we desperately need to improve and paying out £20m for a lad who won’t cut it. To top it off, we’re giving him a 5yr deal which means that he’ll be hard to shift if he doesn’t perform. 

To summarise. Fully behind Traoré, hope he’s great but will be surprised if he’s a success here based on what I’m reading. 

UTV

Don't necessarily agree with you, but whilst the comments from the Lyon fans are concerning, they think he was poor for a side finishing 7th (so more akin to Everton?). Rashica was more akin to Grealish for us and WB are selling one of their prize assets. They are at different stages and from a fans perspective I can understand the rationale, however both can be good for us. 

I am a little concerned that Traore seems one dimensional (pace) but that dimension we really lacked last season and to add depth/competition I think he will be good. That was something we were massively missing last season, when Trezeguet and El Ghazi were in poor form, who else could play there? That was ultimately why Grealish was moved to the wing to provide that competition and why we improved when we did that. Indeed, Traore will add a different style so if he is coming off the bench we can change it up. 

I think I am more positive than you feel about this transfer and if he does sign, like you, behind him 100%. 

22 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Traoré looks to me like a moneyball type signing. A player who has the raw attributes to be worth much more than £20m but for one reason or another has fallen out of favour at his club and his price is depressed. The scouting team will obviously Be aware of his reputation at Lyon but still consider that the price is worth paying because his issues /attitude are coachable and fit within our system. Keep the faith and he may be worth £40m again in a year or two.

Moneyball involves buying undervalued players. There's no chance Traore is being undervalued at 19m+ add ons. Lyon would have been happy to sell him for far less this summer.

Depay, for example, has been on a different planet to Traore for Lyon in terms of performance, and he'll be moving to Barca this week for a similar amount. Hopefully Traore works out for us but we're having our pants pulled down on the price again.

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

UTV

This. While I see the reasoning behind looking for pace and directness to balance the squad, I just can't see Traore being good enough so I don't want us to sign him, but that doesn't mean we won't support him. It's not his fault our recruitment people hypothetically gets it wrong. 

But it's just how this forum is. Offer one opinion that doesn't flow with the happy go lucky sign the world transfer window junkies, and you'll be 'replied' with strawmen, post on posters, insults and ridicule. Goes with the argumentative skills of the populist year 2020 I guess. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

There is also the resentment from fans when a player leaves whether he is good or shit

exactly. it's like if your mrs leaves you. you try and remember the things she did that annoyed the **** out of you. softens the blow

a number of us were doing it over the summer with jack...using his misdemeanor around lock down and sub par performances after restart to help cope with him leaving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Moneyball involves buying undervalued players. There's no chance Traore is being undervalued at 19m+ add ons. Lyon would have been happy to sell him for far less this summer.

Depay, for example, has been on a different planet to Traore for Lyon in terms of performance, and he'll be moving to Barca this week for a similar amount. Hopefully Traore works out for us but we're having our pants pulled down on the price again.

Depay is moving for close to £30m all in as far as I can make out...

http://www.football-oranje.com/barcelona-agree-deal-to-sign-memphis-depay/

De Telegraaf are reporting that Lyon has accepted a €25 million bid from Barcelona, with an extra €5 million to be paid next summer. There will also be an extra €2 million in bonuses.

And to be honest even that seems a bit cheap considering how good he's been the last few years.

There is no doubt that Traore is a gamble just like King is a gamble.  Both had very poor seasons last season but have the raw 'tools' to borrow a baseball term.  Despite having bad seasons both King and Traore completed over 2.5 successful dribble per game (Jack is 2.2, Trez 1.8 and AEG 1.54) and Traore completed 3.25 per game the season before.  Both have pace and both have had good scoring records in the past.  So this might come off if he suits a counter attacking team and the transfer fee would look like a bargain or he doesn't succeed and we sell him in a year or two for 30-50% of what we paid.  I would like Sarr ideally but we are not going to pay £40m+ for a player.

5 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Lyon would have been happy to sell him for far less this summer.

Eh?  Then why isn't he costing far less and how can you possibly know this?  If they were willing to let him go for say £10m, there's no way we would be paying £20m.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Depay is moving for close to £30m all in as far as I can make out...

http://www.football-oranje.com/barcelona-agree-deal-to-sign-memphis-depay/

And to be honest even that seems a bit cheap considering how good he's been the last few years.

He had a nasty injury end of last season think was ACL, maybe he has lost something as Aulas makes Levy negotiations look like Xia

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Has no context here. 

How so?

A club's fans weren't happy with him and were delighted to go.  He moves abroad to a "lesser club" with more than a few fans concerned at why he's taking the step down, if he's lost it etc, and now he's looking to be an incredibly shrewd signing who took a top team apart on his debut.