Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

11 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Eh?  Then why isn't he costing far less and how can you possibly know this?  If they were willing to let him go for say £10m, there's no way we would be paying £20m.

I follow French football closely mate. Lyon's president, Jean-Michel Aulas is never afraid to be forthcoming, and after Traore missed the pen that cost them the Coupe de la Ligue final, it was made clear that he'd be moved on. £7m was the price mooted on the podcasts I listen to

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Depay is moving for close to £30m all in as far as I can make out...

http://www.football-oranje.com/barcelona-agree-deal-to-sign-memphis-depay/

And to be honest even that seems a bit cheap considering how good he's been the last few years.

Yup, bargain for Depay. Traore could end up around 25m with add ons reportedy

13 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Moneyball involves buying undervalued players. There's no chance Traore is being undervalued at 19m+ add ons. Lyon would have been happy to sell him for far less this summer.

Depay, for example, has been on a different planet to Traore for Lyon in terms of performance, and he'll be moving to Barca this week for a similar amount. Hopefully Traore works out for us but we're having our pants pulled down on the price again.

It’s not about being ripped off. Depay is in the final year of his contract. Barca offer colossal wages. 

It’s a pandemic with many clubs struggling, the cost in this deal is relatively low, and another sign of ambition that the club is willing to spend to bring in players it feels can improve the squad. Every transfer is a gamble. The club will continue to spend to improve. We are in a very fortunate position. 

Just now, The Rosk said:

How so?

A club's fans weren't happy with him and were delighted to go.  He moves abroad to a "lesser club" with more than a few fans concerned at why he's taking the step down, if he's lost it etc, and now he's looking to be an incredibly shrewd signing who took a top team apart on his debut.  

I just think Rodriguez reputation is much higher and he was playing for the biggest club in the world. It’s clear he has ability and I’d hazard a guess that the reason Madrid fans are happy to see him go is because he’s probably on 300k a week and not performing as one of the best players in the world. 

1 minute ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I follow French football closely mate. Lyon's president, Jean-Michel Aulas is never afraid to be forthcoming, and after Traore missed the pen that cost them the Coupe de la Ligue final, it was made clear that he'd be moved on. £7m was the price mooted on the podcasts I listen to

Way to kill our buzz. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I just think Rodriguez reputation is much higher and he was playing for the biggest club in the world. It’s clear he has ability and I’d hazard a guess that the reason Madrid fans are happy to see him go is because he’s probably on 300k a week and not performing as one of the best players in the world. 

So now you are discrediting another team's fans' opinion when it suits your argument?

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Where have you seen that out of interest? I read that it's £17m rising to £19m with addons. 

Either way, it insinuates that we had a choice between the likes of Depay and Traore. Lol

I'm sure we could have afforded Werner instead of Traore and Watkins as well at only 47 mill.

Or Haaland for half of that 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, The Rosk said:

So now you are discrediting another team's fans' opinion when it suits your argument?

No, I’m saying the context doesn’t suit. Madrid are a much bigger club than Lyon and the level of player is much higher as a starting point. 

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s not about being ripped off. Depay is in the final year of his contract. Barca offer colossal wages. 

It’s a pandemic with many clubs struggling, the cost in this deal is relatively low, and another sign of ambition that the club is willing to spend to bring in players it feels can improve the squad. Every transfer is a gamble. The club will continue to spend to improve. We are in a very fortunate position. 

Given that there's a pandemic and clubs are struggling, prices should come down, not go up! The cost of the deal is not low, trust me! Lyon missed out on CL for next season and were planning on selling Aouar, Depay and Dembele to make up for the cash cow they will miss out on. This Traore transfer fee is totally unexpected and will allow them to keep one of their top players. Obviously I hope Traore is great for us, and he was a decent player a couple of years ago, but we seem to be adding £10m onto every transfer fee (even in today's market) and it adds up quickly

4 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Taking everything in to account, the Traore fee makes absolutely no sense at all, even at say 12m plus addons his wages would need to be 40k max for me for it to be a solid bit of business. At 20m+ and say 60k wages its a walkaway situation for me, surely this all has to be just media crap as usual. 

Is he worth getting? if yes, how much?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Either way, it insinuates that we had a choice between the likes of Depay and Traore. Lol

I'm sure we could have afforded Werner instead of Traore and Watkins as well at only 47 mill.

Or Haaland for half of that 

I was insinuating no such thing. I was merely showing how Lyon value their best player, and what we're playing for someone they're desperate to get rid of

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

No, I’m saying the context doesn’t suit. Madrid are a much bigger club than Lyon and the level of player is much higher as a starting point. 

Lyon are a much bigger club than us at this point.  The level of the player is higher than what we are used to, based off previous seasons (not just the last one, like James).  It's exactly the same type of scenario.  We scraped staying up by the skin of our teeth last year and were 7pts adrift at one point.  Lyon are CL regulars and got to the semi last year.  A dose of reality is needed here.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This. While I see the reasoning behind looking for pace and directness to balance the squad, I just can't see Traore being good enough so I don't want us to sign him, but that doesn't mean we won't support him. It's not his fault our recruitment people hypothetically gets it wrong. 

But it's just how this forum is. Offer one opinion that doesn't flow with the happy go lucky sign the world transfer window junkies, and you'll be 'replied' with strawmen, post on posters, insults and ridicule. Goes with the argumentative skills of the populist year 2020 I guess. 

I think its perfectly fine to be critical, sceptical and whatever against signings. What I do not find ok is making things up, spreading clearly fake news, spamming out statements and ignoring questions on where these statemens stem from. I also find one person making alot of strawmen and thats not the ones more neutral to the transfer :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Taking everything in to account, the Traore fee makes absolutely no sense at all, even at say 12m plus addons his wages would need to be 40k max for me for it to be a solid bit of business. At 20m+ and say 60k wages its a walkaway situation for me, surely this all has to be just media crap as usual. 

Is he worth getting? if yes, how much?

You could argue he's worth getting as he's better than El Ghazi and Trezeguet, but that's not saying a whole lot. 7-10m would be an ok deal IMO. Given the amount we're spending I would definitely look elsewhere. Obviously has my full support if we sign him and hope he's great for us

• Thanks 1