Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

we shouldnt look to buy just to make aprofit you get success like that

Why not? I'd kill for the success that Leicester and Dortmund have had. Unless you're a Real Madrid or Man City where money is no object then every player has his price. As long as deals suit both clubs and you reinvest the money well selling players for massive profits isn't something to be scared of.

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Today is the day I can feel it in my water. Fully expect 3 o’clock press announcement 

It all starts today

Thats the spirit old timer.

I've got this gut feeling we are waiting to for a day where we can tie up a couple of deals and announce new contracts for our best players and our BEST player, a day that will blow the fans and media's minds.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

If we could get Edouard, Benrahma and Rashica for £80m with a few add-ons going out, that leaves £20m to bolster the defence. If we could get someone like Dumfries for £14m, who can play both RB and RCB, we could then afford the £6m to buy Swift although, I think he'll end up going for more like £10m.

We aren’t getting those 3 for 80m though that’s the problem, they will cost more and that’s if we get them

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thats the spirit old timer.

I've got this gut feeling we are waiting to for a day where we can tie up a couple of deals and announce new contracts for our best players and our BEST player, a day that will blow the fans and media's minds.

Old timer, I am only 52 ffs

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We aren’t getting those 3 for 80m though that’s the problem, they will cost more and that’s if we get them

Well 80 is more than they will cost. Rashcia is 20m euros so 18m. Edouard 30m, Benrahma 25, so that makes 73m.

Don't want Benrahma, he plays left we need a right winger. So swap Benrahma for Buendia and we have our new front line.

On other matters Targett can be let go but it has to be for around 25m. However I'd prefer we kept him. We need 2 quality left backs so no point in selling our best left back.

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Edouard is three years younger than Watkins. That is a huge age difference in a football career.

I can see why there is so much more hype around Edouard than Watkins. 

Edouard is 2 years younger actually. I reckon he is the better finisher, but Watkins is more versatile and well rounded.

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Apologies if I’m reading this out of context: I’m as disappointed by this window as the next Villa fan. And I’d rather we were playing in the CL and hadn’t been relegated and spent those years fighting for our lives in the championship. I’d rather Scott Hogan wasn’t on our books as a reminder of the s*it we were in. 

But I will never tire of ‘this club’. It needed us when we were in the Championship and it needs us now. If I need to be ‘bored’ by watching the club I love and have loved for as long as I can remember surviving by goal difference to be in its rightful place, then I’ll watch it and I’ll cry my eyes out at the end. A rough season would be going under - not failing to live up to some imagined and unrealistic expectations. 

And if the strangeness of the current situation - pandemic, shortened preseason, clubs being financially careful - is boring, then I suggest we all get out of the pool, dry off and go home. 

Again, apologies if I have read your post out of context, but your desire to follow the club should not hinge on the busyness of the sky sports transfer ticker.

I suppose I'm just not afraid to speak my mind and I'm sorry if it came across as brusque or harsh but it's what I feel. I'm not tired of the club, just the constant relegation battles and inability to move forward despite the fact that we have the potential to be a very good club imo.

Last summer we made a hash of our activity by bringing in every Tom, Dick and Harry without doing enough due diligence (though, ultimately, we were in a very difficult situation of having to buy pretty much a whole new team and I understand that, though I also condemn those who made mistakes). Now we're doing the opposite, trying to bring in better targets but either trying to haggle for the best price to a ridiculous extent or not convincing these bigger name players of our project. And of course no one has yet arrived.

I'm afraid we will have to put our hands in our pockets a bit if we want to bring in higher profile players who can take the club forward. It's what City did when they were initially bought (of course, the money they had blew other teams out of the water, but we are not broke ourselves). Or if we want to use another example of an ambitious club newly promoted look at someone like Southampton who were buying the likes of Lovren, Wanyama and Tadic not long after getting promoted because they didn't want to just fight relegation every season.

It's been over a month since the season ended and out of all the clubs in the Prem I think we were most in need of some top signings. Of course they could still happen and we could end up with a Tammy and a Sarr and a Rashica, but I'm very sceptical that will happen, we won't end up with the quality we need, and next season will be deja vu again like the last few years of supporting this club.

It's a negative viewpoint but needs to be said.

I don't understand why some posters are surprised Targett might be attracting interest. He posted good stats last season from an attacking perspective, and top teams will have more of the ball so his occasional defensive lapses might matter a little less. He's also young, English, and plays in the position which is traditionally hardest to find talent.

I like the look of Rico Henry just as everybody else does, but it would be a case of starting again at the beginning with another player.

- - - - - - - - -

Overall can't help but feel this window is going badly. Presuming there's nobody today, that's yet another week gone by.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

What evidence to you have to support this? For all you know Villa isn't rushing because they are monitoring the situation of various options. For all you know we are waiting for Chelsea to get a striker so we can offer Tammy a deal. I'm not saying we are doing that, it'd be foolish, it's just an example of how opportunities will come and go throughout the window. As for your claims, I hope I don't come across as a git for saying, I'm not sure they're substantiated by much other than your frustration with wanting the team to see some quality additions before another long and hard season commences.

I'd love to be proven wrong and we bring in 2 or 3 players of Tammy's ilk, but I suspect we will end up with the lesser names we have been linked to. 

I don't want to be right and hope I'm not.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

@Villarocker It's not a horrible place to shop.

James Maddison. Mason Mount. Ryan Sessegnon. Tammy Abraham.

All performers in the championship before getting their chance in the top tier.

All were very young (late teens/early 20s) and obviously too good for that league. Sessegnon has struggled with the step up too. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The one thing I am clinging to is that we have a new person in charge of transfers.  

I am hoping he wants to make a big statement on how good an appointment he was by announcing 3 signings all at one time with a total outlay of 70 M +.  

Got to hope he pulls something out of the hat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I suppose I'm just not afraid to speak my mind and I'm sorry if it came across as brusque or harsh but it's what I feel. I'm not tired of the club, just the constant relegation battles and inability to move forward despite the fact that we have the potential to be a very good club imo.

Last summer we made a hash of our activity by bringing in every Tom, Dick and Harry without doing enough due diligence (though, ultimately, we were in a very difficult situation of having to buy pretty much a whole new team and I understand that, though I also condemn those who made mistakes). Now we're doing the opposite, trying to bring in better targets but either trying to haggle for the best price to a ridiculous extent or not convincing these bigger name players of our project. And of course no one has yet arrived.

I'm afraid we will have to put our hands in our pockets a bit if we want to bring in higher profile players who can take the club forward. It's what City did when they were initially bought (of course, the money they had blew other teams out of the water, but we are not broke ourselves). Or if we want to use another example of an ambitious club newly promoted look at someone like Southampton who were buying the likes of Lovren, Wanyama and Tadic not long after getting promoted because they didn't want to just fight relegation every season.

It's been over a month since the season ended and out of all the clubs in the Prem I think we were most in need of some top signings. Of course they could still happen and we could end up with a Tammy and a Sarr and a Rashica, but I'm very sceptical that will happen, we won't end up with the quality we need, and next season will be deja vu again like the last few years of supporting this club.

i agree they were saying they would  time to back up with action

• Like 1

Now we're doing the opposite, trying to bring in better targets but either trying to haggle for the best price to a ridiculous extent or not convincing these bigger name players of our project.

Of course you don't actually know this.

...but I'm very sceptical that will happen, we won't end up with the quality we need, and next season will be deja vu again like the last few years of supporting this club.

I think we'll end up with 4 or 5 players who significantly improve our team and next season we will finish comfortably mid table.

Just as a counterpoint.