Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Well, John McGinn for one. How much did we buy him for? Conor Hourihane is another worth twice what we paid for him.

From last season, Konsa is absolutely worth more than we paid and will play for England one day. Luiz is another. 

They obviously don't always come off, and part of that was to do with Suso being in charge of a acquisitions. 

I imagine the owners and Purslow realized after last season that they would need a smarter Sporting Director in order for the model to really work, which is why we got Lange.

We desperately need signings, everyone can see that, and frustration is starting to creep in. However, writing off the players we're linked with before they even sign isn't really helpful either.

• Like 3

I'm not going to pretend I've watched this lad week in week out, but he looks like a similar player to Grealish. We have had many a debate that we got overrun with Grealish in the midfield. So I see no reason why  having Swift there is going to be any different. We are in a period of transition and trying to stabilise as a top half team, so why would it be smart to spend even a 10th of the budget on a squad player. We should absolutely be buying high quality players to replace the players in the starting line up currently, and moving the likes of Hourihane, Trez, Samagoal to the bench. It may be complete BS but I'll be very worried if true.

image.png.be6f5435711def0b7658e342a16343ce.png

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Think it’s just a weird market for everyone.

Definitely, but no need for concern yet imo. Our owners are savvy operators and not playing games. The signings will come, and no doubt some will be a surprise. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Read a tweet just that Leicester were in for Matt Targett. Can’t see it myself! 

It was in one of the papers tonight.

If they want him for significantly more than what we paid for him I wouldn't be against it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Definitely, but no need for concern yet imo. Our owners are savvy operators and not playing games. The signings will come, and no doubt some will be a surprise

Damn right they will.

Does Swift have much pace about him......?😉

Being serious thoughJota looked good at championship for Brentford playing as AM and was seen as a bargain pick up this time last year (especially after the Everton game) but in other games particularly away we saw he wasn't much use on the counter attack.

O.k signing slight technical players but we need a bit more pace and power about us to balance out things.

I don't see the logic either in people saying he'd replace Lansbury. Surely we buy a better midfielder which reduces Hourihane's starts and he replaces Lansbury on the bench. That's how you improve the first 11 and squad isn't it?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Does Swift have much pace about him......?😉

Being serious thoughJota looked good at championship for Brentford playing as AM and was seen as a bargain pick up this time last year (especially after the Everton game) but in other games particularly away we saw he wasn't much use on the counter attack.

O.k signing slight technical players but we need a bit more pace and power about us to balance out things.

I don't see the logic either in people saying he'd replace Lansbury. Surely we buy a better midfielder which reduces Hourihane's starts and he replaces Lansbury on the bench. That's how you improve the first 11 and squad isn't it?

Really only seen him in youtube compilations, but based on those he's easily good enough to replace Hourihane.

Having said that, he doesn't exactly fill me with excitement and I absolutely agree we need more pace and power.

4 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

West Brom after Deeney. I know which two matches he'll be starting. 🤣

Wouldn’t touch Deeney with a 10 foot pole. And that has nothing to do with him being a blue nose.

Too much of a “me” attitude.

22 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Wouldn’t touch Deeney with a 10 foot pole. And that has nothing to do with him being a blue nose.

Too much of a “me” attitude.

I’d definitely have him at Villa for that reason tbh. He’d never join obv but it’s hard to deny he doesn’t half piss off his opponents, and he has a good goal record. 

38 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d definitely have him at Villa for that reason tbh. He’d never join obv but it’s hard to deny he doesn’t half piss off his opponents, and he has a good goal record. 

Take away all his penalties and he scored 0.20 goals per 90 minutes this season. Conor Hourihane scored 0.18. Wesley scored 0.25. Over the last five seasons, 18 of his 47 goals have come on penalties. Take them away and he's quite ordinary.

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Definitely, but no need for concern yet imo. Our owners are savvy operators and not playing games. The signings will come, and no doubt some will be a surprise

I think the majority will, google will get smashed!!

4 hours ago, Awol said:

Definitely, but no need for concern yet imo. Our owners are savvy operators and not playing games. The signings will come, and no doubt some will be a surprise. 

I think you’re spot on, particularly about some of the signings being a surprise. Had many of us heard of Mahrez before he joined Leicester or Mane before Southampton got him? I’m sure both of these signings would have been met with a wave of indifference or downright derision had we made them. Yet once these players prove themselves people would be asking, why don’t we ever make those types of signings? 

We also have to realise that we might not make signings in people’s order of importance as far as positions are concerned. Just because we all want a striker and a winger as a priority that doesn’t mean to say we won’t sign, for example, a right back first. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joshharris12 said:

Indeed smith banged on about how not getting players in early meant they took longer to settle... shambles tbh 

Last season it was most of the starting 11. This season it'll just be 2 or 3 players. I'm not really worried about the settling in period. Just worried we'll miss out on key targets again.

I’m all for getting a good deal but I get the feeling that Purslow is trying to be Daniel Levi MK2. Surely if after all the analysis we have identified a player that is worth in the region of £20m, we would be expecting him to be a very good player and therefore see his value increase. Add to that the value he would bring to the team with his performances, the difference between signing or not signing a quality player can be quite significant. 

I know we don’t want to be mugged and we are probably looking at this on the back of getting mugged a lot over the last few years, but neither do we want to get a reputation for low balling and other clubs not taking our approaches seriously. Negotiations are always a balancing act. If Purslow is any good he’ll understand this and make sure he gets on the right side of more deals than not. Otherwise the damage done could be extremely costly and considerably more than a million or two here or there. I know it’s easier said than done, but that’s a big part of his job. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Take away all his penalties and he scored 0.20 goals per 90 minutes this season. Conor Hourihane scored 0.18. Wesley scored 0.25. Over the last five seasons, 18 of his 47 goals have come on penalties. Take them away and he's quite ordinary.

Wow didn’t realise that. Fair enough then!

Although also raises the question - how the hell did they get so many penalties??? I swear we barely got any last season? It could just be we barely found our way into the box...

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1