Relegation thread

Knutserov13

11 hours ago, useless said:

Watford v Norwich          Aston Villa v Manchester United

Watford V Newcastle     Aston Villa v Crystal Palace

West Ham v Watford      Everton V Aston Villa

Watford v Man City         Aston Villa V Arsenal

Arsenal v Watford           West Ham v Aston Vill

I suspect that Bournemouth are done. I doubt that they will get more than 3 or 4 points, at best from their remaining games.

I would expect Watford to beat Norwich,  to draw with Newcastle and to lose the rest. That would give them 32 points. If they get any more points, it would look grim for us, if they got less, we would really have an opportunity to scramble out of this.

I think we can beat Palace, we would then need to find another 3 points or 2 and hope that Watford suffer some heavy defeats (and that we don't), to the extent that their present 3 goals better goal difference disappears. Could we get 2 or 3 points in total from our games against Everton, Arsenal and West Ham? I wouldn't want to bet against us! 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 3

We have scored two goals in the five games since we have re-started the season. Unless that return improve dramatically over the remaining fixtures then I think we are down. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening for us now. Before the re-start I had a slight bit of hope that we may have more to fight for than some of our opponents, and that we might see a bit of an improvement in our fortunes as a result. I can't see us getting more than two or three more points this season unless something suddenly clicks and goes right for us.

We have the strikers we have and it sounds like they are both ineffective at this level. With no youth team striker we could promote, it is extremely difficult to see us scoring more than one or two goals from set pieces this season. Of course, two goals could be enough for 6 points if they come in two 1-0 wins, and 6 points might just be enough, though it is unlikely.

Whatever his limitations during regular play, Hourihane should play regardless, as we have no other realistic chance of scoring other than via set piece. If that means we have to pack central midfield to compensate for his weaknesses, or play 5 at the back, then just do that.

That said, I agree with those saying that if Watford win against Norwich we're pretty much done for. It's very hard for me to picture a side this inept picking up 4 more points this season.

• Like 2

I think this is the worst set of front players (strikers/wingers) I can ever remember since following us '87

At least we had Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair last time we got relegated, OK they werent great in the actual season, but at least they had some ability and could score occasionally. Traore and Gil couldnt get a look in, they would both absolutely walk into this side right now. 

I just cant see where the goals are coming from, is Hourihane our 2nd highest scorer after Jack this year? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reason West Ham will be fine is they now where the goal is.

5 goals scored in the last 2 games. And scored 3 times against a top side like Spurs.

Lost 2-0 to Spurs 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

I think this is the worst set of front players (strikers/wingers) I can ever remember since following us '87

At least we had Gabby, Ayew and Sinclair last time we got relegated, OK they werent great in the actual season, but at least they had some ability and could score occasionally. Traore and Gil couldnt get a look in, they would both absolutely walk into this side right now. 

I just cant see where the goals are coming from, is Hourihane our 2nd highest scorer after Jack this year? 

Exactly this, it is our system which of course has Grealish as the main creator that scores goals not individual brilliance by our strikers. You could see the impact top forwards have yesterday when Liverpool's came on. When is the last time you can remember a wonder goal by a Villa forward? More likely to happen with our midfielders even like Grealish, Hourihane or McGinn.. Even Luiz popped one in early season but i struggle to remember a goal from a striker / winger other than a straightforward finish.

7 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

When is the last time you can remember a wonder goal by a Villa forward

Mate, I can hardly remember a goal by them, never mind a wonder goal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

interesting analogy i've just heard from someone. we're on life support...phrases like "making us comfortable" starting to be uttered and chances of survival are very slim. but it's better than being in the wooden box

12 hours ago, useless said:

Watford v Norwich          Aston Villa v Manchester United

Watford V Newcastle     Aston Villa v Crystal Palace

West Ham v Watford      Everton V Aston Villa

Watford v Man City         Aston Villa V Arsenal

Arsenal v Watford           West Ham v Aston Vill

I kid you not I scanned this and I thought it just said Aston Nil.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Its a shocking bunch. Not sure if we are allowed raid the free agents market for a striker. I would take a 40 year old Etoo or Diego Forlan over our current options. 

I would probably play El Ghazi as striker for the rest of the season because at least he  will take a shot. Wolves game Samatta and Davis if got into a decent position took an extra touch and chance was lost

1 hour ago, John said:

We are not the only ones that are worried ;)

http://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/relegation-picks.56885/page-18

It's funny, reading that. According to us, they have alot more about them and will stay up. According to them, we have alot more about us and will stay up.

In my opinion, it's in the middle and who stays up is in the air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

It's funny, reading that. According to us, they have alot more about them and will stay up. According to them, we have alot more about us and will stay up.

In my opinion, it's in the middle and who stays up is in the air.

They seem a good bunch. Even had sympathy when we conceded. 

Go to a Leeds forum and they will be celebrating every goal against us. 

Watford good fans. 

Just now, fightoffyour said:

We've had 2 already, that's the whole point of the league concept.

Could be a new potential format for the league. You can pick your opponent each weekend 

Out of form teams all queuing up to play Villa

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its a shocking bunch. Not sure if we are allowed raid the free agents market for a striker. I would take a 40 year old Etoo or Diego Forlan over our current options. 

I would probably play El Ghazi as striker for the rest of the season because at least he  will take a shot. Wolves game Samatta and Davis if got into a decent position took an extra touch and chance was lost

I agree. It is  desperate playing a bloke out of position but what is the harm in trying? You could then slot Elmo in midfield who at least can cross the ball.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

We have scored two goals in the five games since we have re-started the season. Unless that return improve dramatically over the remaining fixtures then I think we are down. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening for us now. Before the re-start I had a slight bit of hope that we may have more to fight for than some of our opponents, and that we might see a bit of an improvement in our fortunes as a result. I can't see us getting more than two or three more points this season unless something suddenly clicks and goes right for us.

Just for a bit of context Watford scored two goals in their last six games.