Relegation thread

Knutserov13

38 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It's funny, reading that. According to us, they have alot more about them and will stay up. According to them, we have alot more about us and will stay up.

In my opinion, it's in the middle and who stays up is in the air.

Bit of an eye opener reading that and the other thread. They all want Deeney sold and most of them want Pearson sacked at end of the season. They also think they're all but down if they don't beat Norwich.

Also their least bad player of the season thread was won with 25 votes by Will Hughes. Likes of Deeney and Doucoure got 0 votes.

Edited by VillaChris

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we play like we did yesterday until the end of the season I genuinely think we could force 9 - 10 points.

5 massive cup finals!

If we play like we did yesterday we will get relegated as we can't score goals. If Watford were on the same points that tactic could work by having a least worse goal diffeence.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

interesting analogy i've just heard from someone. we're on life support...phrases like "making us comfortable" starting to be uttered and chances of survival are very slim. but it's better than being in the wooden box

Depends if you believe in the afterlife compared to the endless suffering down here on planet earth.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we play like we did yesterday we will get relegated as we can't score goals. If Watford were on the same points that tactic could work by having a least worse goal diffeence.

Mate yesterday we were playing the Champions.

Every team obviously is not as good as them, or have a Van Dijk who brushes Keinan Davis off like a feather.

Point is that level of performance, attacking intent and organisation would see us draw (At minimum) and snatch wins off of most teams in the League outside the top 5 - 6, and maybe even some of those as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate yesterday we were playing the Champions.

Every team obviously is not as good as them, or have a Van Dijk who brushes Keinan Davis off like a feather.

Point is that level of performance, attacking intent and organisation would see us draw (At minimum) and snatch wins off of most teams in the League outside the top 5 - 6, and maybe even some of those as well.

We have scored 2  goals in 5 crucial games, both by defenders. Hardly fills you with confidence does it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/53303106

Micah thinks we can do it. 😉

Alan Shearer thinks we're gone.

Video link.

Alan Shearer’s very own brief and unsuccessful managerial relegation battle would suggest he doesn’t know much about it. The fact that he couldn’t even get a draw at Villa Park to stay up, in a match in which we had nothing to play for,  just highlights how poor a manager he was. It’s also probably made him rather bitter, like the rest of them up there. 

• Haha 2

I am surprised we are still in with a shout; all down to the poor calibre of the teams around us.

I agree with a previous poster; Hourihane should start every game; his spot kicks are invaluable, and he may even score.

El Ghazi up front. Again mentioned by a previous poster. Good idea. Can he be any worse than what we have up front?

This is the time for Smith and co to earn their huge salaries and do something different in a last attempt to keep us up.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Bit of an eye opener reading that and the other thread. They all want Deeney sold and most of them want Pearson sacked at end of the season. They also think they're all but down if they don't beat Norwich.

Also their least bad player of the season thread was won with 25 votes by Will Hughes. Likes of Deeney and Doucoure got 0 votes.

for some Villa fans Pearson is the greatest manager since Big Sam

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Thought we looked much better going forward yesterday albeit missing that final pass/shot. If we can keep the same solidity about us then we have a chance to nick a win or two which is all we need. All in the balance.

It's about bringing them together ain't it?

I'm guessing this is what Deano is trying to do hopefully?

There was an early stage in the season where i could guarantee we would always score at least one.

It's our conceding silly goals where the issue was.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Just for a bit of context Watford scored two goals in their last six games.

That gives a little ray of hope. Unfortunately they are still a point ahead of us and the pessimist in me thinks they will sneak a victory against Norwich to make that four points ahead. That will leave us needing something against an in form Man Utd just to keep in touch. Goals win games, and our forwards don't fill me with confidence that they are going to fire us to safety.

20 minutes ago, NeilS said:

That gives a little ray of hope. Unfortunately they are still a point ahead of us and the pessimist in me thinks they will sneak a victory against Norwich to make that four points ahead. That will leave us needing something against an in form Man Utd just to keep in touch. Goals win games, and our forwards don't fill me with confidence that they are going to fire us to safety.

This is my major worry. We have lacked goals all year and that doesn't just magically fix itself when we are fighting for relegation. This scrap is so finely balanced that if Watford beat Norwich that will give the a little jump that will seem like a mountain to climb for our players. Every point seems massive so whoever at the bottom get's three points first will really turn up the pressure on the others that some might crack either from trying not to concede or being more adventurous in trying to get a goal or two.

Everyone saying Grealish is our talisman and our most creative outlet is all well and good, but the way he plays and the role he has in our team should not make him top scorer, but he is. I see what Smith is trying to do with Kenian Davis (and in fairness, I think the kid is doing well with the cards he has been dealt). He is physically strong, holds the ball up, wins flick ons, and tries to bring others into play -> namely two out of our top 3 goal scorers, Grealish and El Ghazi.

If we play like we did against Liverpool in these last few games then we have every chance, but I worry that it just won't be enough if we need 10 chances to score 1.

I keep reading that we could be, realistically, 7 points away from safety by the time we play Palace. 

I think, we could, just as realistically based on Watford's form, be outside the bottom 3 by the time we finish against palace on Sunday afternoon. There's negatives there if that's the way you want to look at it. There's positives there is that's the way you want to look at it.

18 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Massive game tonight. How we feeling?

2 ways of looking at it - I fully expect Watford to beat Norwich tonight - virtually sealing our fate.

Should Norwich win - then that says says to me that Watford are dire beyond belief - which makes me hopeful we can overhaul then.

But I watched Norwich the other night and they are shite beyond anything I have seen this season - they look quite a lot worse than us ! 

• Like 1

The way Norwich are still, just about, in touching distance, but not too close is probably good for us.

means they will go into tonight thinking it’s a possible route out of relegation. A draw would be a brilliant result for us too.