Relegation thread

Knutserov13

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Different strokes and all, but I can't agree with this. I actually went to matches in the Championship, and we won quite a large proportion of them. I had a better time over those three years than I have done at any other point in the last 10.

Agree, if it happens then it happens and i would be confident that we could bounce back and I know we will win games/compete

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Over the last 7 games we are the worst team in the league, just tipping out Bournemouth on GD.

But since the other clubs have only played 6 games since the restart we are 19th in that ranking since Norwich have lost every single game.

7 games played since the restart. 0 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses. 2-13 and minus 11 in goal difference.

That is pathetic.

The team and manager had a chance to reset after the shut down, maybe to up their fight and maybe take advantage of teams like Newcastle who didn't really have a lot to play for. We have failed miserably, and managing 2 measley goals in seven games means we deserve to be relegated. Smith tried to make us more solid after the break, but all he has managed is make us less potent in front of goal. He is having his Lambert moment of ripping it all up and starting again, when it really wasn't the time to try that. We should have gone all out to attack teams in the hope that we could catch them cold, by being cautious he has allowed the other teams to ease there way back into things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

From what I can remember of our stay in the Championship, the majority of our games there were in no way enjoyable. It was totally depressing.

we won more than this season but that was about as enjoyable as things got. losing to city, utd, chelsea and liverpool. yeah, it's not great, but you deal with it. it was 10 times worse however seeing us lose to bolton and wigan. i'm not ready to go back to that. cant even go to games anyway so miss out on those good away trips with big allocations

• Like 3

We went into a premier league season with 3 strikers, none of which had any experience at this level

Then when we had the chance to rectify it in January we sign another striker with no experience at this level, and a striker who couldn't get a game in the championship

Throw in the lack of goals from midfield and defence it's no surprise were getting relegated

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

VAR is not the reason we are getting relegated.

That is really papering over the cracks.

We are 19th because we are the 2nd worst team in the league and deserve to be there.

I know we got a bad one yesterday but there was still a feeling of inevitability about the result 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

VAR is not the reason we are getting relegated.

That is really papering over the cracks.

We are 19th because we are the 2nd worst team in the league and deserve to be there.

Does it help ,no ! But we have been awful for months in a season where many teams will struggle to get 40 points we are currently the 2nd worst.

15 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Does it help ,no ! But we have been awful for months in a season where many teams will struggle to get 40 points we are currently the 2nd worst.

Yeah but when you think about it that would have been a pen without VAR as well. The ref had made his mind up.

VAR is supposed to fix human errors. I don't see the point of having it around if it can't do that.

I really hope they don't introduce it in the Champ. So sick and tired of it.

Edited by villalad21

This season has been a disgrace and because we have been so unprepared again we will have to rebuild.

Since O'Neill a bunch of shocking appointments has made us fall further and further away from being anywhere near a relevant football team. 

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Different strokes and all, but I can't agree with this. I actually went to matches in the Championship, and we won quite a large proportion of them. I had a better time over those three years than I have done at any other point in the last 10.

First season was pretty bad, 16/17 where we had that long winless run from early January to mid March (so not much different to this season) but after that I agree it got more enjoyable. Already said I miss the constant Saturday-Tuesday/Weds-Saturday diet of games and we'll have lots of that next season. I've said anyway I don't care what division we're in until BCD games isn't a thing anymore. Who knows how long next season will be until significant attendances can be allowed in.

Just annoying many of these teams who've been out of the premier league for over a decade (Sheffield United/Palace etc) get up and quickly settle themselves into mid table while we make out like it's harder than Leicester winning the premier league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

We could actually draw all four of our remainin games and still stay up, our goal difference would stay at minus 29, so we'd need Watford to lose all their games and for their goal difference to get worse by seven goals, which is possible if they're losing all four of their remaining games and bearing in mind their last one is against Man City.

I suspect you may be overthinking this. 😀

25 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Palace are a very decent team. It's not like we're playing Norwich.  We've got no chance. 

They are on the beach though, which could help. Wouldn't surprise me if we did pull out a win to give us false hope before the inevitable follows afterwards. 

15 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

They are on the beach though, which could help. Wouldn't surprise me if we did pull out a win to give us false hope before the inevitable follows afterwards. 

The sad thing is we may not be good enough to beat a team who's at the beach.

4 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

We went into a premier league season with 3 strikers, none of which had any experience at this level

Then when we had the chance to rectify it in January we sign another striker with no experience at this level, and a striker who couldn't get a game in the championship

Throw in the lack of goals from midfield and defence it's no surprise were getting relegated

In fairness i cant think of an experienced available striker in January when we had a limited budget. Sturridge maybe Benteke. I dont think Brighton would have allowed us to sign Murray. Giroud was never going to happen

23 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The sad thing is we may not be good enough to beat a team who's at the beach.

It’s not even about being good enough. It’s attitude. We were the better team until that penalty and then Mings just gave up. He cost us the game yesterday. 

• Like 1