Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Regards that disgusting VAR pen awarded to the cheat yesterday, it was absolutely huge. The first goal in any game is always the most important let alone when it may have just given us the confidence boost we needed to go on & get a good result. It destroyed our fragile players mentally that decision did due to confidence being low already. Game changer!

They should have scrapped VAR for the rest of the season until they had chance to adjust it's application after the clear & obvious errors it makes and lack of intervention at other times. Of course they won't / didn't though for some strange reason.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

15 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Regards that disgusting VAR pen awarded to the cheat yesterday, it was absolutely huge. The first goal in any game is always the most important let alone when it may have just given us the confidence boost we needed to go on & get a good result. It destroyed our fragile players mentally that decision did due to confidence being low already. Game changer!

They should have scrapped VAR for the rest of the season until they had chance to adjust it's application after the clear & obvious errors it makes and lack of intervention at other times. Of course they won't / didn't though for some strange reason.

5eea61a16abf8.image.jpg

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Ah... All Righty then! :unsure:

More seriously: VAR is far from perfect but scrapping it isn't the answer. It makes mistakes both ways but take last night for example. Ref would have still given the penalty with or without VAR. We were bolloxed either way. The decision wasn't VAR's fault.

"Must win" has been thrown around........ well, forever, but Sunday is now very much the definition of the term. Lose, and although mathematically yes we could still do it I think the players' confidence and even desire for the fight will be shot to pieces. Can't help but think a draw will just needlessly extend the pain for everyone connected to the club.

A win will at least keep things interesting for the final round of games.

2 hours ago, messi11 said:

We are staying up! 

Annotation 2020-07-10 202551.jpg

Two points from the last 10 games and we are miraculously going to get seven from the next four? Are you drunk?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't entirely ruled out a good end to the season, it is possible. We are not good enough to beat the best teams but we have a chance against others. Will we do it? It's absolute last chance saloon - this does not normally work out. 

Not sure where it would be best to post this, but I am just so frustrated at how much has gone wrong this year and some of the errors that the club have made. I know it was difficult as we came up through the playoffs and had to get a new squad basically but it seems we have done so much wrong:

Summer Recruitment

Left criminally short up front - Wesley, Davis and Kodjia was never going to cut it. Kodjia should have been sold and Davis should have been 4th choice with his injury problems and lack of games 

Not signing Cahill - he would have made such a massive difference to our backline and whole team in general. He has played in loads of games for Palace, is the leader that we needed and is still a top quality defender. Most of the season we have been defending so deep that Cahill would have been absolutely ideal. A 2 year deal would have been perfect and if we had spent that money on him rather than the money on Engles we would be so much better off

Luiz on deadline day - he looks like a great signing now, however has it been worth it? Before lockdown he has added very little to our team, partly due to him arriving so late in the window and needing him to adapt. That money could have been used better in my opinion

Overpaid on Targett - not a terrible player, however Southampton have had our pants down. We knew LB was a problem when we were in the championship, it's a shame we didn't have other cheaper options identified that would have added more

Squad fillers - Trez, Jota and Nakamba have been very poor and added little over the season. Engles I liked the look of and have no idea what has happened to him but that now looks like a poor signing. Hause has done fine as a squad filler, however he is not good enough to be the regular starter he has pretty much been since Jan

Coaching

Can we say that any players have improved this season? Luiz since lockdown has been very good, Konsa looks better at RB, Grealish was very good pre lockdown, and Nyland looked better pre lockdown, other than that I am really disappointed with the lack of improvement in players. Mings and Guilbert definitely got worse as the season has gone on and so many inconsistent performances from El Ghazi, Targett, Hourihane, Luiz. Consistently poor performances from Nakamba and Trez

Why can't we defend or attack set pieces?

WHAT DOES TERRY DO?

Medical

Yes we couldn't help Heaton and Wesley injuries, however I definitely have some questions which need answering:

Why have we had so many muscle injuries? 

Why have Trez and Guilbert got slower?

Why has McGinn come back in such poor condition when he was supposed to be ready in March?

Why are Targett and El Ghazi so powder puff?

Why is Lansbury still on our books when he is never fit?

Why did we put Mings back on when he had a hamstring injury? 

Why do we look so slow and lethargic pretty much every week for 90 mins?

Tactics

Why has Smith not set up the team how he wants them to? I'm sure Smith does put in a lot of preparation time however it is very rare that this is then shown on the pitch. The only real tactical innovations I have seen that have both made us look quite good and nullify the opposition are the Burnley away result and then the Leicester results in the cup. Other than that we have looked quite tactically inept most weeks

Whilst options on the bench are limited Smith has very rarely made a substitution which has impacted the game favourably for us. 

Mentality

Where has our resilience gone? 

I think the lack of experienced leaders in the squad has made a big difference. Bar Heaton and Mings we dont have any natural leaders anymore that will make their voices heard and not accept substandard performances. 

And I think it's true that our team does also reflect the manager that we are too nice

Rant over. Its disappointing how much we have got wrong and I really want to believe in Smith and the project we have got, but I think we have still been operating as a small club and are a long way off premier league standard

Watford and West Ham go in their games today with the motivation that if they win they go seven points clear of us, it's difficult to see them not winning, but if either of them were to drop points, especially Watford, could offer us a lifeline, but we'd need to take advantage of it tomorrow, last chance really.

26 minutes ago, omariqy said:

West Ham will batter Norwich and I can see Watford having a lot of confidence and beating Newcastle also.

I think if that happens, then it's all over. If Watford don't beat Newcastle, then it's still on. I think west ham will get another result elsewhere regardless of today.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle looked disinterested against Man City.

Hope they turn up today

Think they'll have Saint maximum and a couple of others back feeling fresh so finger crossed.

I love the optimism, but I just don't see it. I don't think we'll have 7 shots on target for the rest of the season, never mind 7 points.

I think our season will be over by 16:00 tomorrow sadly. A Watford win today, a turgid, half-arsed loss tomorrow, and that'll be it.