Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Johnson will now get to release a video every couple of days, spout what he/whoever pulls his strings believes shows him in the best light and get zero direct scrutiny. This is the man who prorogued Parliament to avoid scrutiny so in many ways this will now suit him down to the ground.

It was his worst nightmare having to lead through a crisis like this given it was one we were ill prepared for and have since made a right pigs ear of which combined has left us facing being worse hit than most.

• Like 1

As a medical simpleton, I've got a question - sort of related to what the Gov't seem to be doing.

Basically, there's no cure or vaccine at the moment, so clearly the issue/plan is to reduce the number of people getting it at any one time, so the hospitals can cope with the severely ill. So our rate of infection compared to the US or Germany is much much less relevant than the rate v capacity. Yet the media concentrate a lot on comparison with other places and not at all on comparison with capacity to treat people. This seems to be missing a key factor, surely.

Yes we've had stories about Nightingale facilities, but not whether they're sufficient, more than sufficient,  etc. based on stats.

It's like there's a whole set of data missing, and not being sought.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suspect he was really ill but not quite as bad as you usually would have to be to get given intensive care treatment.  I never know if they have a medical facility permanently on the go for the Prime Minister just in case of emergencies, the President of the US probably has one I'd have thought.

Agreed. Although I do think he was ill enough to be in intensive care. He was in there for days. That’s not a precaution. 

But as someone else said, he was apparently never on a ventilator, so I find it hard to believe he was as close to death as is now being made out. 

They under played it while he was in there and now that they realise he’s going to recover and that it will make him sound like a hero, they’ll make out he was on his death bed. 

Like I said, I’m sure the reality is in the middle of what the government have told us. 

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We can all speculate just how ill he was but none of us really know. At the end of the day I'm just glad he pulled through same as I would be anybody else. 

I mean, I think everyone in this thread is too regardless of political views. 

• Like 2

Ok, so what the actual F is going on then? At what level of complete and utter moronity are this government at? 

Government has bought no Covid-19 home testing kits despite Matt Hancock's claim millions had been purchased

The confusion over the antibody testing kits will add to growing concern that the Government is losing any grip it had on the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/02/government-has-bought-no-covid-19-home-testing-kits-despite/

1 hour ago, blandy said:

As a medical simpleton, I've got a question - sort of related to what the Gov't seem to be doing.

Basically, there's no cure or vaccine at the moment, so clearly the issue/plan is to reduce the number of people getting it at any one time, so the hospitals can cope with the severely ill. So our rate of infection compared to the US or Germany is much much less relevant than the rate v capacity. Yet the media concentrate a lot on comparison with other places and not at all on comparison with capacity to treat people. This seems to be missing a key factor, surely.

Yes we've had stories about Nightingale facilities, but not whether they're sufficient, more than sufficient,  etc. based on stats.

It's like there's a whole set of data missing, and not being sought.

I concur.

Need v Capacity ( in particular ‘need’ getting to a point where it’s within ‘ capacity’ ) is the whole ball game, certainly in the short to medium term, yet almost ignored.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Further to this, I’d expect a huge jump in deaths in tomorrow’s numbers. Numbers are always lower on the weekend, which I assume applies to bank holidays too. 

I’d guess tomorrow will be our first day with over 1000 deaths. And probably comfortably so. 
Obviously I hope I’m wrong. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Further to this, I’d expect a huge jump in deaths in tomorrow’s numbers. Numbers are always lower on the weekend, which I assume applies to bank holidays too. 

I’d guess tomorrow will be our first day with over 1000 deaths. And probably comfortably so. 
Obviously I hope I’m wrong. 

Yeah I wish it was lower, it's anxiety inducing - but it's a time when we need to reflect on the whole number and not just the easier hospital number. Saw some stats earlier for European countries and the majority were reporting care homes, over two weeks more up to date than the ONS is able to. That said, 1500 die in a day, I am sure they can find a Boris friendly headline to take priority. 

There is no doubt that the figures for deaths in UK are way off. The EU released data today that showed between 42% and 57% of deaths in Spain, Italy, France, Ireland and Belgium were in care homes. I think if we said there have been 3k deaths in care homes here on top of the deaths that have been reported it wouldn't be an over estimate. The trouble is we aren't testing many of those who die in care homes are we so I doubt we'll ever get anything close to accurate figures.

It is becoming clear now though, especially given that Raab said today we are not yet past the peak, that even if we aren't counting all deaths we are on course to be one of the most affected countries.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Just watched a video on fb, guy had his flat door kicked in by 4 or 5 police officers to check he wasn’t having a gathering. He refused to open the door as he said he was isolating. Must be a bit more to it, but still, feels like another case of police over stepping the mark.

You could see it in the police officers faces as they were being filmed and the flat was empty they had **** up and would be in a spot of bother.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah I wish it was lower, it's anxiety inducing - but it's a time when we need to reflect on the whole number and not just the easier hospital number. Saw some stats earlier for European countries and the majority were reporting care homes, over two weeks more up to date than the ONS is able to. That said, 1500 die in a day, I am sure they can find a Boris friendly headline to take priority. 

"OVER 65M COVID SURVIVORS IN JUST ONE DAY!"

• Like 2

Anyone got any guesses on how long the lockdown is going to go on for.

I've gotta be honest I'm starting to really struggle with it, I haven't had a face to face conversation with anyone in 3 weeks, I'm miserable working from home, I live in a one bedroom flat, I am pretty much living in 2 rooms 24/7, I've started drinking pretty heavily again (trying to knock that on the head)

I always said that working from home wouldn't do my mental health much good but working from home and not being allowed to go outside is really taking its toll on me.

Â