Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Jareth said:

I get the feeling we'll be locking down again come the autumn in anticipation of a second wave, there doesn't appear to be much of an exit strategy short of bringing the numbers down, enabling the NHS to cope, and then probably partial easing of the lock-down after that. And on we go until treatments or vaccines are developed. 

The discussion last night was that the UK was going to need to be under a lockdown of some sorts for 12 months out of the next 18 if the NHS is going to be able to cope.  

Just now, tonyh29 said:

They used an E gate surely  ?  , I can't see them letting people just walk straight in the country  with open  turnstiles ?

No idea about open turnstiles. I’ve got no reason to disbelieve this person, home from a cut short year working overseas, that she saw nobody when she came back through Heathrow. Got off the plane, pickers up the bag and didn’t stop until she got to the car.

It’s where the conversation here has sprung from, she’s found it easier to go Oz / Heathrow / Barry than it was to go to Sainsburys.

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The discussion last night was that the UK was going to need to be under a lockdown of some sorts for 12 months out of the next 18 if the NHS is going to be able to cope.  

be interesting to read it if you have a link ?  

I saw a traffic light approach to " normality "  being discussed  but  it didn't have any timescales attached to it .. this approach could carry a bit of weight as one of the authors of the paper outlining it was a Chief advisor to Johnson when he was Mayor of London

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Where have you read that?

The Times was reporting it but have since removed the part about him being on oxygen from their article

> "...protect the NHS and save lives.

>  It is understood that he was driven to St Thomas' Hospital, across the Thames from Westminster, at about 8pm, and given oxygen treatment. He did not need an ambulance. Officials emphasised that it was not an emergency admission."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-boris-johnson-taken-to-hospital-over-persistent-symptoms-b2xsbg9hs

Edited by Mozzavfc
Added relevant quote
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

The Times was reporting it but have since removed the part about him being on oxygen from their article

I’ll bet they have. The only source for that was Russian state media earlier today running a disinformation campaign. 

Mix of wishful thinking and extreme gullibility there from The Times.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 09:12, lapal_fan said:

This is 51 mins long, but it's filled with GOOD information, no fluff, no spin - just facts. 

I urge you to watch it, it is being watched by my Trust, the QE Trust by clinical staff and my companies staff who have to go on site.

@snowychap - Aerosolising is mentioned in it too :thumb:   

Thought this was good.

Wonder if anything definitive has been learnt since.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Thought this was good.

Wonder if anything definitive has been learnt since.

I imagine courses like this are being updated with new knowledge (and thus prep in fighting it) constantly.

I think it does kind of "reassure" you though, that whilst we're not in a good place (with people dying!), that this thing is still "just a droplet infective virus", so the precautions we take aren't completely out of the ordinary to the measures we take against other, similar viruses.  

Obviously we were ill prepared (I'm not going down that route though), and the spread of this as a result of our reaction to it has meant our measures have to be more severe, but it does tell me that we'll beat this thing eventually.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Doncaster Council's social media team are having a very good crisis:

OT but that video was one of the first videos  I saw on the Internet way  back when Netscape was a thing  ... the squelching of whale meat landing on people  :)

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He is a 55 year old overweight smoker. I imagine he is in all sorts of trouble, but a lid is trying to be kept on it at this point.

Johnson is a smoker ?

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Johnson is a smoker ?

Apparently he once said that when one of his children was born, he had a cigarette to celebrate, but there is no evidence of him doing so recently (of course, that doesn't mean he doesn't, but it's not known anyway).

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

OT but that video was one of the first videos  I saw on the Internet way  back when Netscape was a thing  ... the squelching of whale meat landing on people  :)

A bit weird, but probably more a lot more wholesome than my own first forays into seeing what videos AltaVista could rustle up.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Johnson is a smoker ?

One thing that will work against him would be sleep pattern.

I very much doubt he’s a bed at 10 (home by 12) rise at 7:30 sort of chap.

Just now, sne said:

I just read that, it's sad for Pep and his family.  He had donated €1m to help fight the virus in Spain too.  'Only' 403 deaths in England in the last day, I was expecting us to be about 800 per day at least by now, though I'm not an expert obviously.

Â