Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

All companies *really* take care of their staff until said company needs something, then it'll bleed staff dry.

It's no shock companies are being bellends now.

Not all mate... were certainly not. And my brothers company have put him off on full pay until further notice as he is a massive risk.

Edited by leighavfc

I'm worried about my girlfriend's dad.

He's old(ish), he's got heart problems, he's got diabetes, so he's very vulnerable.

Plus he works on a building site but is technically self employed so won't get any sick pay. So he won't isolate himself. And when he absolutely has to isolate himself he won't be able to afford it.

I mean the guy is a massive word removed. But I'm still worried about him.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm worried about my girlfriend's dad.

He's old(ish), he's got heart problems, he's got diabetes, so he's very vulnerable.

Plus he works on a building site but is technically self employed so won't get any sick pay. So he won't isolate himself. And when he absolutely has to isolate himself he won't be able to afford it.

I mean the guy is a massive word removed. But I'm still worried about him.

If he owns the company or is the main contract point tell him he can at least use force majeure to get out of delay damages 

Its going to hit the industry hard 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Agreed mate! Doesn't matter which party is in they would be getting a bashing from other groups who oppose them

Not sure I quite agree with that though. I don't see Labour currently using this to bash the Tories, there seems to be more of a wartime-style cessation of hostilities. I'll give the Tories the benefit of the doubt, and assume they would do the same were the roles reversed. What I AM sure about however, is that however good or bad a Labour administration would be, they would be subjected to a shitstorm of attacks from the Mail, Express, etc. 

They're better off out of it, atm. 

• Like 4

Schools can't close yet. In fact closing the schools will only make the situation worse.

Generally speaking: Schools close > Parents go to work > Grandparents look after the diseased little ones.

Generally Speaking: Schools Close > Nurses have no one to look after their kids > We are down on critical NHS staff 

If / when the schools close, our in-laws will need to look after them (both 60s) because neither me or my partner can afford to live off sick pay. 

If you are in the fortunate position able to stay at home with the kids or both WFH then the government should advise that, and actively encourage those able to take the kids out of school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What I AM sure about however, is that however good or bad a Labour administration would be, they would be subjected to a shitstorm of attacks from the Mail, Express, etc. 

I've never agreed with something so much in my life.

They'll rally round Johnson no matter how bad he's doing (and they probably should, to an extent, given the circumstances)
They'd nail a Labour leader to the **** wall.

Edited by Stevo985

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not sure I quite agree with that though. I don't see Labour currently using this to bash the Tories, there seems to be more of a wartime-style cessation of hostilities. I'll give the Tories the benefit of the doubt, and assume they would do the same were the roles reversed. What I AM sure about however, is that however good or bad a Labour administration would be, they would be subjected to a shitstorm of attacks from the Mail, Express, etc. 

They're better off out of it, atm. 

But that's what I mean it doesn't matter who is in their will be groups of people who will just point blank bash them for no logical reason other than they support the opposing. The media is glaring evidence of this. I wasnt on about the parties, as you say I dont see much bashing of the Tories from any of them currently.I meant the general public, literally some people will shoot the government down regardless... and that goes for whichever party is in. perhaps wasnt clear about this originally. 

Times like this are to see the logic in general and not our individual wants and needs.

Edited by leighavfc

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I mean... That's just annoyingly emotive, and I didn't want Boris in no.10 (nor Corbyn tbh). 

It'll get a lot of likes though, which is the point of it. 

Of course it's **** ing emotive!  

• Like 1

Very quick, genuine question guys. Are people who are panic buying/ hoarding/ stocking up doing so because a) they think the shops are going to run out of food and not restock in the long run or b) in order to be able to stay at home and not interract with people going forward?

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Very quick, genuine question guys. Are people who are panic buying/ hoarding/ stocking up doing so because a) they think the shops are going to run out of food and not restock in the long run or b) in order to be able to stay at home and not interract with people going forward?

I don't think it's that easy for it to be one or the other.

I went shopping on Sunday and was amazed at what people were filling (cramming) their trolleys with. I'd gone in just to get my usual weekly shop but ended up getting way more than I usually would, having seen how others were shopping. Maybe I'm just a suggestible sheep but within five minutes of being in the supermarket, I'd realised that I needed to have more than a weeks worth of food. I didn't bulk buy, I didn't need bog roll but I realised I might need to prepare for a few weeks as I'd no idea what the future would hold. I think I'm probably good for 2 weeks in total.

15 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If I have to have him in the car, I'll make him sit in the back, so all my lovely mouth juice hits my windscreen, not his face when I'm talking to him - just simple things that can severely limit any risk of infection.

CNBC:

World health officials say the respiratory disease spreads through human-to-human contact, droplets carried through sneezing and coughing as well as germs left on inanimate objects. The coronavirus can go airborne, staying suspended in the air depending on factors such as heat and humidity, they said.

This is not to try to worry you or to pick out one thing but it seems like some of the information that you were given in your meeting doesn't necessarily tie in with some of the things being said by other authorities, such as the WHO here and Chris Whitty's comments about pregnant women, which was something along the lines that they were advising them in the same way as the old or at risk groups (because they were not sure about the risk of passing it on to the unborn)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I suspect varying degrees of both.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

I don't think it's that easy for it to be one or the other.

I went shopping on Sunday and was amazed at what people were filling (cramming) their trolleys with. I'd gone in just to get my usual weekly shop but ended up getting way more than I usually would, having seen how others were shopping. Maybe I'm just a suggestible sheep but within five minutes of being in the supermarket, I'd realised that I needed to have more than a weeks worth of food. I didn't bulk buy, I didn't need bog roll but I realised I might need to prepare for a few weeks as I'd no idea what the future would hold. I think I'm probably good for 2 weeks in total.

And there's another factor. We are being exhorted to look after our elderly neighbours and the self-isolating by shopping for them. So the supermarkets will have customers who may be buying stuff for several people, and being looked at askance by others who think they are hoarding. Plus people who really ARE hoarding, but pretending they are buying for their neighbours. Atmosphere of paranoia and suspicion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

CNBC:

This is not to overly worry you or to pick out one thing but it seems like some of the information that you were given in your meeting doesn't necessarily tie in with some of the things being said by other authorities, such as the WHO here and Chris Whitty's comments about pregnant women, which was something along the lines that they were advising them in the same way as the old or at risk groups (because they were not sure about the risk of passing it on to the unborn)

I think we need to be careful here about what "airborne" means.  I was told that the virus cannot be passed on through skin.  That is to say, someone with the virus touches another person (skin to skin), but the infected person has clean, none contaminated hands means it won't spread.  

Airborne is water droplets.  The famous letter is "F" or "Th" sounds - they project spit, but unless that spit lands in the mouth, eyes or nose of a non-infected person, they won't get it (hence my "sit in the back of the car" comment) 

We do know that if an infected person coughs into their hands, thus contaminating their hand, then touches a mental handle (for example), this strain of virus can remain alive for 12 hours - that's an unusually long time for a virus to stay alive, and it's because it remains alive out of a host for a longer period, that it's particularly more infective, hence why we need to be more careful.

*I might have another meeting today with Infection control*

So if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask, then quote me and I'll try and get an answer for you - hopefully this can help spread good information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

My reason is to minimise the risk of contact and infection, I tick 3 boxes on latest legislation to self isolate whilst my elderly father ticks all but 2 so we get one chance at this and one only.

Ive been anticipating this since the New year and been following it closely since the end of Jan when they locked down Wuhan. 

Wouldn't say i've panic bought as just added couple items on each trip over the months and now have a little stash meaning we don't have to go out and be exposed to the risks and inadvertently pass on the infection. 

In the process of setting up Tesco account so any additional items required i will have delivered for the family. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think we need to be careful here about what "airborne" means.  I was told that the virus cannot be passed on through skin.  That is to say, someone with the virus touches another person (skin to skin), but the infected person has clean, none contaminated hands means it won't spread.  

Airborne is water droplets.  The famous letter is "F" or "Th" sounds - they project spit, but unless that spit lands in the mouth, eyes or nose of a non-infected person, they won't get it (hence my "sit in the back of the car" comment) 

We do know that if an infected person coughs into their hands, thus contaminating their hand, then touches a mental handle (for example), this strain of virus can remain alive for 12 hours - that's an unusually long time for a virus to stay alive, and it's because it remains alive out of a host for a longer period, that it's particularly more infective, hence why we need to be more careful.

*I might have another meeting today with Infection control*

So if anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask, then quote me and I'll try and get an answer for you - hopefully this can help spread good information.

I wish more people in control of spreading the information were more like you. Concise, informative, not scare-mongering.

Everyone who reads social media is in a frenzy right now because Joe from Quarry Bank said we're all going to die unless we stay inside and shut the country down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â