Generic Virus Thread

villakram

10 minutes ago, chappy said:

but send your kids into the largest social gathering going on in your community every day. Senseless!

The logic is because children don't seem to be getting the virus. Also, sending them home will put strain on childcare, especially for parents who are needed in the NHS. This is obviously aside from the fact its keeps their education going.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chappy said:

In doing so though he has left it so that insurance companies won’t cover money loss for these businesses and in turn the staff lose out on money and have to look to Universal Credit. 

On another note in response to the chat above about keeping kids out of school - I don’t think any school is going to kick off about this under the circumstances - do what  you think is safest for your family. Surely surely surely closures will be announced soon?? Current advice is basically work from home if you can, don’t attend any social gatherings but send your kids into the largest social gathering going on in your community every day. Senseless!

Yes I do agree about that but again I dont really see what else he can do other than advise people not to go. They can still if they so wish. The media are probably having as much an effect on this than the government.

Agree about schools but again double edged sword... people will have to either stop working or pass the kids on to other family members. Potentially elderly and vulnerable. This is the thing in something like this there is NO straight answer to anything, we are going to upset people whatever measure they bring in. It's all about minimising the risk of infection whilst minimising disruption to business. Mission impossible without affecting somebody along the line...

Edited by leighavfc

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The logic is because children don't seem to be getting the virus. Also, sending them home will put strain on childcare, especially for parents who are needed in the NHS. This is obviously aside from the fact its keeps their education going.

Yep i dont think the government has made many good decisions but this one i understand and makes total sense to me. 

Alot to  ritise them for but this isnt one of them. Its easy to moan at the governments handling at this but this is a very serious situation. This is something none of us have ever experienced 

• Like 1

Is one of the reasons they haven't shut schools the need to pass emergency temporary legislation to allow schools to be forced to stay open and remove the right of teachers to strike. I know that sounds ridiculous but some schools will need to stay open and some teachers will have to work as there needs to be somewhere for essential workers children to go. Children of nurses, drs, Police, paramedics, hospital cleaners, those involved in food distribution, food shops etc etc. I'd imagine one school in an area would stay open whilst others are shut or you have all schools open and only those who have parents who work within the jobs I mentioned will go to school so a fraction of the pupils requiring a fraction of the teachers.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

The schools aren't being shut until there is a forced need to (and even then they'll probably work on the basis of schools having skeleton staff to ensure medical staff aren't tied up, which will take a while to sort out).

Where they'll really get into trouble is when schools start unilaterally closing. Which will happen if they get hit by staff shortages.

This is the thing with the government's 'strategy'. It kinda relies on having a semblance of control on a chaotic process. The moment it starts to wobble it'll all come tumbling down. But still they won't make any forced intervention until they absolutely have to. By which time it's too late.

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep i dont think the government has made many good decisions but this one i understand and makes total sense to me. 

Alot to  ritise them for but this isnt one of them. Its easy to moan at the governments handling at this but this is a very serious situation. This is something none of us have ever experienced 

Exactly this, I think some are letting political allegiances get in the way of logic!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kingman said:

Im also a freelancer in the gig economy and just been told, as of 31st March my services will No longer be hired! 

One of my longest serving clients for just over 7 years and when the shit hits the fan the words removed will drop you quicker than a neat Scotch! 

Sorry to hear that mate.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My company two weeks ago: "we're making sure we're ahead of government guidance so everyone is as protected as possible"

My company a week ago: "We're more prepared than any other of our sites. We're following government guidelines"

My company yesterday: "We're following government guidelines"

The government yesterday: "EVERYONE should work from home where possible!"

My Company today; "yeaaahhhhhhh... nobody can work from home yet"

Sounds very familiar.

30 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The schools aren't being shut until there is a forced need to (and even then they'll probably work on the basis of schools having skeleton staff to ensure medical staff aren't tied up, which will take a while to sort out).

From what I can see, she schools are taking matter into their own hands. My partner is currently waiting outside the little one's school while the teachers have an emergency meeting. I'm betting the teachers are revolting and the school will be shut from today.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My company two weeks ago: "we're making sure we're ahead of government guidance so everyone is as protected as possible"

My company a week ago: "We're more prepared than any other of our sites. We're following government guidelines"

My company yesterday: "We're following government guidelines"

The government yesterday: "EVERYONE should work from home where possible!"

My Company today; "yeaaahhhhhhh... nobody can work from home yet"

All companies *really* take care of their staff until said company needs something, then it'll bleed staff dry.

It's no shock companies are being bellends now.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

FWIW, I don't think Labour would have handled this any better. My anger with the Tories is not so much to do with their current tactics as with the last ten years of destruction of the NHS. 

Agreed mate! Doesn't matter which party is in they would be getting a bashing from other groups who oppose them

• Like 1

Â