Generic Virus Thread

villakram

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went to a few shops this morning. Mask wearing is down to a very small percentage now. 

Well start wearing it some more then. 

Edited by sidcow

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I've been to the supermarket, a petrol station and a garden centre. Mask wearing was still about 80%+ I was quite surprised at how many were

A few weeks back my local Morrisons was almost 100% mask free.

Now it's roughly 80-85% of people wearing masks.

Just now, Xela said:

I did in the first shop. Was the odd one out. 

Was just a poor joke, you said percentage of mask wearing was down, I hijacked that to pretend you were talking about your personal percentage of mask wearing rather than the overall percentage. 

Took a train from Wales to Devon today, stop by stop the mask wearing reduced until I got to Newton abbot and it was almost entirely absent. Best part was the return journey - standing room only surrounded by blokes who couldn't be arsed with masks, then go under the Severn and suddenly they all mask up cos Wales - what's the feckin point lads!

The number of new cases has reduced each day for the last 4 days.  Probably more importantly the last 3 days are substantially down on the corresponding day last week, the last 2 days are 10,000 lighter. 

Hopefully this may indicate a slowdown and it's not just a blip. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The number of new cases has reduced each day for the last 4 days.  Probably more importantly the last 3 days are substantially down on the corresponding day last week, the last 2 days are 10,000 lighter. 

Hopefully this may indicate a slowdown and it's not just a blip. 

Shocking really, with all the live events, football etc now open. vaccine is working, or yeah, it's dying off a bit.

25 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Missus doesn’t want her son to get the vaccine. Caused a bit of an argument tonight. 

It’s all optional isn’t it? 
Best not to fall out about it.

From what I can tell vaccinating 12-15 year olds is more about slowing the spread than reducing deaths/serious illness as it’s extremely rare.

• Like 1

The opening section of PM this evening was about this decision. You can listen to it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zkpm

It's worth listening to because you'll be able to hear just how unconvinced and half-hearted the scientists they get on actually are. They pretty much explicitly say that the health benefits alone weren't worth the approval, and that they're only really approving it because they think it will lead to fewer school closures (could do less testing though lads) and becase of anxiety about the pandemic (which I took as meaning 'there's political pressure to approve them'). The whole thing is very well, hmmm, maybe it's a good idea, I'd probably give it to my kids, maybe etc.

@Ingram85 I agree with @Genie. This isn't worth falling out with your partner over.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's worth listening to because you'll be able to hear just how unconvinced and half-hearted the scientists they get on actually are.

I read something completely different into that opening segment.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The opening section of PM this evening was about this decision. You can listen to it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000zkpm

It's worth listening to because you'll be able to hear just how unconvinced and half-hearted the scientists they get on actually are. They pretty much explicitly say that the health benefits alone weren't worth the approval, and that they're only really approving it because they think it will lead to fewer school closures (could do less testing though lads) and becase of anxiety about the pandemic (which I took as meaning 'there's political pressure to approve them'). The whole thing is very well, hmmm, maybe it's a good idea, I'd probably give it to my kids, maybe etc.

@Ingram85 I agree with @Genie. This isn't worth falling out with your partner over.

My wife is very pro vaccine but said last night she doesn’t think she wants our boy (year 7, but not 12 until August) to have it. I’m not going go rock the boat.

He had Covid about a month ago and was absolutely fine apart from a headache on day one cured with calpol. 

Funnily enough I had a similar text from my ex-wife this morning along the lines of "Son says he wants to have the jab but I'm not so sure..."

He's 15 FFS and can decide for himself in May. I just replied, "it's a good idea to have it, the experts and evidence says so"

Â