Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 11/09/2021 at 17:29, Davkaus said:

Same here, I just got back from a supermarket in Nottingham and it was very low indeed.

Think it depends where you go.  Sainsbury's (Castle Marina) always seems to be pretty mask-heavy compared to Aldi (Edwalton).

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think it depends where you go.  Sainsbury's (Castle Marina) always seems to be pretty mask-heavy compared to Aldi (Edwalton).

There is definitely a social class / mask wearing correlation or at least there appears to be from my observations

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

There is definitely a social class / mask wearing correlation or at least there appears to be from my observations

Absolutely. I popped to a small shop in a ropey part of town earlier and I was the only person wearing a mask. 
I was getting looks too. 

From my own general observations, I’d say that mask wearing in supermarkets is more prevalent than in somewhere like Bull Ring or similar indoor shopping centre. 

Wearing masks at supermarkets obviously isn’t at the same level they were a month ago, but it seems like it’s the place people are more prepared to wear them. Not sure why that doesn’t translate to indoor shopping centres.

I’d estimate it’s something like 50% in supermarkets (Lidl, Sainsbury’s are the most recent I’ve been in). And maybe 10-20% in the likes of the Bull Ring.

Also, another curious thing I’ve seen. People on the train, not wearing a mask the entire journey. Arriving into New Street, as they’re leaving the train, they put a mask on.

58 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

From my own general observations, I’d say that mask wearing in supermarkets is more prevalent than in somewhere like Bull Ring or similar indoor shopping centre. 

Wearing masks at supermarkets obviously isn’t at the same level they were a month ago, but it seems like it’s the place people are more prepared to wear them. Not sure why that doesn’t translate to indoor shopping centres.

I’d estimate it’s something like 50% in supermarkets (Lidl, Sainsbury’s are the most recent I’ve been in). And maybe 10-20% in the likes of the Bull Ring.

Also, another curious thing I’ve seen. People on the train, not wearing a mask the entire journey. Arriving into New Street, as they’re leaving the train, they put a mask on.

I generally wear mine where I find it hard to socially distance, which is mostly in a supermarket.  I usually wear it in other shops but sometimes I don't really see much point if they're not busy.  Same with train journeys, the ones I've been on have been largely empty so I don't put it on.  I can see why people might do that then put one on getting off if it's likely there will be more people on the platforms or ticket machines.

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I generally wear mine where I find it hard to socially distance, which is mostly in a supermarket.  I usually wear it in other shops but sometimes I don't really see much point if they're not busy.  Same with train journeys, the ones I've been on have been largely empty so I don't put it on.  I can see why people might do that then put one on getting off if it's likely there will be more people on the platforms or ticket machines.

I'm sure people will put them on at the station because they are afraid a member of staff will stop and ask them to put one on and they are unlikely to be asked by someone while actually on the train.

I personally haven't worn one since the rules were relaxed to make it optional, I've had both jabs and I'll be damned if i am helping to protect people who don't fancy the jab at this point. I'm still aware of my distances to older people for example and wouldn't get within 1 metre of someone at a supermarket pre pandemic anyway. I don't take much public transport so thankfully haven't had the issue of sharing a train seat or bus seat with someone yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

From people who think it should be happening faster/more comprehensively, or from people who think it shouldn't happen at all?

People who think he's the antichrist set out to kill "our children". 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

People who think he's the antichrist set out to kill "our children". 

There aren't half some idiots out there. It's possible to think it might not be the best use of doses without immediately leaping to the conclusion that it's an evil conspiracy, but obviously they haven't figured that out.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think you may have fallen into her trap of her being taken literally. 

Ah yeah, sorry.  she was just making an ironic light hearted attempt to destabilise the vaccination programme.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ah yeah, sorry.  she was just making an ironic light hearted attempt to destabilise the vaccination programme.

I know you are unlikely to but read her Twitter timeline. I never thought I would see the day when I am sticking up for Nicki Minaj but here we are. She appears to have been misreported, misquoted and in addition her tweets took literally. I am not saying she isn't a jackass, but currently, for why she is trending, I think it's maybe off the mark. 

Â