Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Since this virus it's made me think, how many viruses are there. Like you may feel rough 1 day but just think it's a bit of fatigue, when really you might have some sort of virus. I guess if this virus didn't kill 1000's and just had very mild symptoms, it possibly wouldn't really be known about.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Viruses are good to a degree . They have built up the immune system for centuries. When the common cold first struck many years ago I’d imagine it made people very ill . Fast forward to now and it’s nothing .

Now I've got the War of The World's music running round my head. 

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Fingers crossed it coincides with the firebreak and we can all get away for a well deserved rest.

My children have 2 weeks off in October, the first of the 2 being the less common week among other schools.

We’re due to go away that week, hopefully firebreak is the week after :lol: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

About a month's worth of collected data now for Ontario, for anybody curious on vaxxed vs unvaxxed vs partially vaxxed numbers. I noticed people mentioned a few pages back that they didn't have such numbers for the UK.

5sXmwcw.png

Also to put this graph into perspective, someone on Reddit crunched the numbers (unvaxxed vs fully vaxxed):

Based on running average (since Aug 10):

85.0% or 6.7x less likely to get Covid-19

90.5% or 10.5x less likely to be hospitalized

96.0% or 25.0x less likely to be ICU’d

I think the vaccine has been a resounding success so far, especially considering we've been dealing with the much tougher Delta variant for the past couple of months (99% of cases yesterday were the Delta variant for example).

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

Last chance to book a foreign holiday for October half term before the prices shoot up… 

Actually, this ship has sailed already. Prices of some things we looked at yesterday have gone up already.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

My children have 2 weeks off in October, the first of the 2 being the less common week among other schools.

We’re due to go away that week, hopefully firebreak is the week after :lol: 

2 weeks? I thought it was just 1 week half term. I'm hoping to go away in October (in UK) and wanted to avoid kids/families/inflated prices!

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

2 weeks? I thought it was just 1 week half term. I'm hoping to go away in October (in UK) and wanted to avoid kids/families/inflated prices!

Most schools it’s 1 week but a few have 2 (but 1 less in August).

Mine are the last 2 weeks but the last week is the main one. It means we get some bargains.

They used for have 2 in Feb also which was great but they’ve gone back to 1 now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Grrrrrrrrrr.  Cases starting to drift back up again, I had hoped they would be keeping the downwards trend.

I haven’t noticed any trend? It’s been a daily average of 30-35k cases and 150 deaths for about a month or more now.

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I haven’t noticed any trend? It’s been a daily average of 30-35k cases and 150 deaths for about a month or more now.

All the figures were down last week,  mostly 10k or so down on the corresponding days the week before. 

My 9 year old lad has tested positive. Caught from school, as they have 12 confirmed cases in his year group.  Confirmed cases started last week and just kept climbing. He’s now scared and thinks he’s done something wrong.  Can’t believe his year group and school are carrying on as normal?

My 6 year old daughter now has a cough so I am taking her for a test this morning. Not nice seeing both kids upset/crying.  We’ve been very fortunate as a family avoiding any COVID issues at all, but now this.  

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

My 9 year old lad has tested positive. Caught from school, as they have 12 confirmed cases in his year group.  Confirmed cases started last week and just kept climbing. He’s now scared and thinks he’s done something wrong.  Can’t believe his year group and school are carrying on as normal?

My 6 year old daughter now has a cough so I am taking her for a test this morning. Not nice seeing both kids upset/crying.  We’ve been very fortunate as a family avoiding any COVID issues at all, but now this.  

They’ll be fine mate, although I know it’s upsetting.

Mine (11 & 9) caught it on holiday. They were only mildly poorly for 1 day then absolutely fine. 

• Thanks 1

Â