Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Genie said:

He’ll need another furlough scheme if he’s closing stuff again.

I reckon he’ll hold off October and wait for the really smelly stuff to hit the fan around Christmas 

Speaking to clients in the last few weeks, they've having difficulty in getting people to come back to work full time, now that furlough is winding down! They've either been fully furloughed or flexible furlough for 18 months. Most have had a great time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Speaking to clients in the last few weeks, they've having difficulty in getting people to come back to work full time, now that furlough is winding down! They've either been fully furloughed or flexible furlough for 18 months. Most have had a great time!

It’s all quite softly softly at my place. The senior manager will be going in 2 days week. The managers at least 1 day a week. Everyone else optional, but welcomed.

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Covid or not, if you can do your job remotely you don’t need to be in the office every work day. If something good comes out of this it will be the shaking up of the usual commuter routine.

Yeah but think of those Prets and Costas empty in city centres!

Corporate landlords will no doubt be lobbying the government to get people back into city centres. 

I seem to recall that there was a lot of commentary before reopening about the fact that we would have a big spike which would peak towards mid October so what's happening does seem to be what was expected to some extent. 

I learned today that my office in Solihull, the lease ends in March and in the new year it will be hybrid working, the new office is 3 buildings away. Looks like I am at home until at least then. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Yeah but think of those Prets and Costas empty in city centres!

Corporate landlords will no doubt be lobbying the government to get people back into city centres. 

We saw *a lot* of that last August/September if you remember, but it's been pretty half-hearted and mostly absent this year. 

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I did the same. My employer told me to come in twice a week, I said "lol, no".

Lets just say they are not in a position to take that stance ;) Our company is flexible as hell so it's generally no problem. I think the only "problem" we have to face is the spontaneous transition of knowledge in an office-environment that takes a hit.

• Like 1

Speaking of offices, I'm going in to my new one for the first time today. Among one way systems, and masks in communal areas, they'd like people to wipe down chairs with antibacterial wipes before and after use. Covid theatre is alive and well

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Speaking of offices, I'm going in to my new one for the first time today. Among one way systems, and masks in communal areas, they'd like people to wipe down chairs with antibacterial wipes before and after use. Covid theatre is alive and well

When I go into the office I do that anyway. There’s loads of big tubs of special anti bacterial / virus cleaning wipes. Before I start I wipe down all the desk bits and bobs, mainly to get rid of the dust that has accumulated since I was there last.

Went to an office for a meeting yesterday, face masks optional, anti bac wipe down of the desk and sanitize your hands… mandatory.

By mandatory, I mean literally a pack of wipes at every desk, a mini personal take it home with you pot of hand sanitizer, and an office manager stood at the door to watch us all clean table tops and wipe hands before the meeting could begin.

Where are these people getting their guidance?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We have to wear masks when walking down the middle of the office past peoples desks, but can then get together with them in a meeting pod or room and take the masks off.   I don't get that at all.  Does Covid only exist when walking down a corridor?

Also have to have our temperature scanned upon arrival by one of those infra red thermometer thingies which are notorious for being completely unreliable.  Most of the times it beeps and red lights at me on the first go (when I've been walking around in heat and up the stairs) then randomly turns green on the second or third go.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Also have to have our temperature scanned upon arrival by one of those infra red thermometer thingies which are notorious for being completely unreliable

My wife had a raging temperature for about a day, it’s was normal for the other 6 that she was testing positive. 

Â