Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 29/08/2021 at 13:26, Delphinho123 said:

Didn’t the vaccine cause blood clotting in the brain in some vaccinated patients? 

According to Thrombosis Canada ... the short answer is not really.

What is the risk of thrombosis in people with COVID-19?

Infection with COVID-19 has been associated with thrombosis, or blood clots, involving the veins and arteries. The risk of blood clots is highest for individuals admitted to hospital with COVID-19 infection, occurring in about 5% of people admitted to a regular hospital ward and up to 20% for those in the intensive care unit (ICU), on life-support. The risk of blood clots for individuals with COVID-19 but not requiring admission to hospital is lower at about 1%

So Covid 19 increases your chances of thrombosis

Should I receive the vaccine if I have a blood clotting tendency such as Factor V Leiden?

Yes, you should receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Having a blood clotting tendency (such as Factor V Leiden) may put you at higher risk of blood clots, but this is not increased by the vaccine. People who have COVID-19 are at higher risk of developing blood clots, which occur in about 1 in 20 people who are in hospital with COVID-19 and in about 1 in 100 people who have COVID-19 but are not in hospital. In fact, because COVID-19 disease often causes blood clots, the vaccine will actually provide you with protection against developing another blood clot.

And presumably the thing that some people were concerned about:

Is there a risk for developing a blood clot (thrombosis) after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine?

There is no overall increased risk of developing a blood clot after receiving any of the approved COVID-19 vaccines, including the vaccine made by AstraZeneca.  However, the AstraZeneca vaccine may be associated with extremely rare cases of blood clots that occur in the brain called Cerebral vein sinus thrombosis (CVST) and are associated with low blood platelets. These blood clots were found to occur in approximately 1 in 100,000 people who received the vaccine.

My emphasis!

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 19:06, sidcow said:

The UK national vaccine Centre opens next month I believe.  They will be able to develop new vaccines in house and produce enough for the whole nation in a couple of months under the same roof I understand so the UK should have a lot more resilience in future. 

Which will have tons of funding for next few years but then in about a decade will be massively underfunded and probably shutdown when COVID becomes a distant memory.

• Like 1

Covid: No plans for October lockdown, says government

The government has denied planning an October lockdown in England, after a newspaper report said the opposite.

The i newspaper said plans had been drawn up to extend the school half-term holiday, if the number of hospitalisations continue at the current level.

The i said a full lockdown was unlikely - but the government could introduce some rules as part of a "firebreak".

However the Department for Education said the report was "not true".

So, when does everyone think that the u-turn will occur?

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Covid: No plans for October lockdown, says government

So, when does everyone think that the u-turn will occur?

1st of October.

Although on serious note, half term makes sense. So I’m gonna say a week and a half after half term so they’ve all been back for a couple of days before he buckles.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, trekka said:

Depends on the local authority.  Check the Gov. website. 

Cheers. Checked a few of my potential destinations and seems to the be the last week of October is half term in all of them. 

Those of you in the West Mids should enjoy September because you are not going to have the same freedoms in October.  Our idiot PM is desperate to avoid the October lockdown that is necessary.  So it will be repackaged as increased restrictions in certain geographical areas.  Government is presently looking what functions of society can be closed or forced to go back to masks and social distancing for 2 weeks to give the maximum reduction in transmission.  

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He’ll need another furlough scheme if he’s closing stuff again.

I reckon he’ll hold off October and wait for the really smelly stuff to hit the fan around Christmas 

Don't think they can afford to do another one 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Don't think they can afford to do another one 

Who can't afford it? Are we back to this Government and budgets being like housewives and bills nonsense again?

If the last 18 months has taught us anything, it's that this idea is utter nonsense

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who can't afford it? Are we back to this Government and budgets being like housewives and bills nonsense again?

If the last 18 months has taught us anything, it's that this idea is utter nonsense

This is at a time when they are cutting universal credit payments by £86 a month and increasing NI BY 1.5%. They obviously can but they wont 

Â