Generic Virus Thread

villakram

The pseudoscience companies are embracing in this thread is honestly very depressing. Would I feel worse about it if they knew it was a waste of time, but were doing it purely for legal liability type reasons, or would I feel worse if they genuinely believe this woo? Hmmm, one to ponder.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The pseudoscience companies are embracing in this thread is honestly very depressing. Would I feel worse about it if they knew it was a waste of time, but were doing it purely for legal liability type reasons, or would I feel worse if they genuinely believe this woo? Hmmm, one to ponder.

I wonder if it's another of those things like the little plastic bags at airports - where you have to put your toothpaste in one, and shampoo in another and so on, and then put them back in your hand-luggage. I mean it achieves absolutely nothing at all. And all that plastic waste.

So same with the sanitiser? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s something that’s quick, cheap and easy to do (like hand washing) and certainly doesn’t do any harm but has some kind of positive impact, however small.

Just get on with it. 

Are we sure it doesn’t do any harm?

There are plenty of theories around people having more allergies/asthma these days because they live in much more sanitised environments than we did back in the day, when we used to literally live with barn animals. 

It’s going to be interesting to find out what the long term result of all this antibacterial product being wiped and sprayed everywhere will be. 

• Like 1

The bloke who runs the local corner shop is extreme anti vaxx. My missus went in there the other day and he was actually in an online meeting on his laptop whilst working . The meeting was among a group of people who are anti vaxx and anti lockdown . He’s been to demos in London . He reckons Covid exists but Covid 19 doesn’t exist?  He asked my missus if she had been jabbed and when she told him yes, he said you’ll be dead in a few years because of it. He’s doing all this for the kids and next generation he reckons. I know him and he’s always been a bit crackers. My missus is very centre she reckons in regards to this pandemic. She’s sitting on the fence in what’s true and what isn’t. She thinks I’m extreme pro vaxx, which isn’t true. I’m just normal and rational. I’m not saying there’s not more than meets the eye but we’ve been dealt these cards and vaccines are what’s needed. I weren’t against lockdowns either, although I think we need to move past them now, but still keep some restrictions when needed . Not sure I want the vaccine year after year but if I have to , then so be it as I’d rather chance the vaccines than Covid as I’m more likely to die or have complications from the latter. 

• Like 1

Nobody wants lockdowns, but they have a role to play. It’s the final lever if all else fails.

If the hospitals get to a certain level of capacity then there really isn’t any other option. We can’t afford to let the health service get over run. 

People will say “i don’t think we should have another lockdown” which is obvious in isolation, but I also think that same person would like the hospital to take him or her in if they had a heart attack or car crash.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

but I also think that same person would like the hospital to take him or her in if they had a heart attack or car crash.

Just been to see my crumblies for their wedding anniversary. 

My old man went on a bit of a rant and said hospitals should now stop treating anyone who has refused the vaccine and let them take their chances😂😂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nobody wants lockdowns, but they have a role to play. It’s the final lever if all else fails.

If the hospitals get to a certain level of capacity then there really isn’t any other option. We can’t afford to let the health service get over run. 

People will say “i don’t think we should have another lockdown” which is obvious in isolation, but I also think that same person would like the hospital to take him or her in if they had a heart attack or car crash.

Yeah I’d favour a lockdown over hospitals not being able to cope . Personally I can deal with them.

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah I’d favour a lockdown over hospitals not being able to cope .

Luckily for you Ruge, with this Government you don't need to choose - you can have both!

• Like 2

The numbers are awful again aren’t they. Been living by these stats for about a year now and they make me feel quite anxious. It bothers me that we don’t know anything about the people that are sadly passing away because of Covid. (Age ranges, double vaxed etc etc)
One reassuring thing that I am keeping an eye on is that ‘only’ 10% or so of the population have caught it, however with the way things are going soon it’s going to be 20% and so on. 

Edited by Tayls

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The numbers are awful again aren’t they. Been living by these stats for about a year now and they make me feel quite anxious. It bothers me that we don’t know anything about the people that are sadly passing away because of Covid. (Age ranges, double vaxed etc etc)
One reassuring thing that I am keeping an eye on is that ‘only’ 10% or so of the population have caught it, however with the way things are going soon it’s going to be 20% and so on. 

The anecdotal evidence is that the majority of people ill in hospitals haven't been vaccinated. There will also be outliers in that, but if you are between 20-60 and have been double jabbed, then you're probably going to be ok. You may get it, but it might just be like a bad cold/flu. 

I'll be honest, I'm not massively concerned by it at all now. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

The anecdotal evidence is that the majority of people ill in hospitals haven't been vaccinated. There will also be outliers in that, but if you are between 20-60 and have been double jabbed, then you're probably going to be ok. You may get it, but it might just be like a bad cold/flu. 

I’m sure I saw / heard a quote from Bozza saying 3 quarters in hospital are unvaccinated, and many are young. No idea where it was though.

Edited by Genie

Pretty much everything I read states that most people seriously ill and dying are unvaccinated are getting younger too. 

But you do have to go look for this information.  I'm amazed it isn't a point being hammered home more.  There should be campaigns going on emphasising this.  Probably involving younger celebrities and influencers. 

Edited by sidcow

8 hours ago, Xela said:

Even if you haven’t been jabbed you’ll probably be ok 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Some interesting information and data here on COVID infection post vaccination:

On America’s Fourth of July weekend this year, the summer beyond the pandemic seemed just over the horizon. Almost 60 per cent of Americans were fully vaccinated against COVID, mask mandates had been thrown out around most of the country, and in Massachusetts, thousands of tourists descended on Cape Cod as they had before the pandemic, to celebrate after a long winter. But the highly contagious Delta variant was already loose there and, within days, hundreds of people were infected.

Nearly three-quarters of them were fully vaccinated.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/why-do-some-vaccinated-people-catch-covid-and-how-severe-is-it-20210908-p58q14.html#comments

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2021 at 21:37, Davkaus said:

I did the same. My employer told me to come in twice a week, I said "lol, no".

I've been doing my job for 18 months fully from home. Productivity is up. Profits are at a record high. Why the **** would I go back to a daily commute that costs me 40 hours and a couple of hundred quid a month? I've since quit, and they rolled it back after another 15 or so people in my department did the same.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a large portion of workers to establish better flexibility around work, and we shouldn't give it up without a fight.

It's not perfect for everyone, and I know some individuals either want a hybrid scheme or just don't have the home setup so would rather work from the office, but companies that insist on office working when remote is perfectly possible are going to lose staff and find it much harder to attract recruits. 

My part of the industry (cloud Ops) is very different now. It was already starting to go WFH just before the pandemic and when it started it tipped it over the edge. The company I was with at the time just said we'll probably close all the regional offices, is everyone ok with that? So they did. Everyone who wasn't already at the head office moved to WFH contract. It suits everyone all round, the business moves the costs of utilities onto the employee who doesn't have to pay to commute. I've since moved company and there was never any question that it would be anything but WFH. With the industry so desperate for skilled personnel now, companies who don't let people work when and where they like should know they're going to struggle.

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went to a few shops this morning. Mask wearing is down to a very small percentage now. 

I've been to the supermarket, a petrol station and a garden centre. Mask wearing was still about 80%+ I was quite surprised at how many were

Â