Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Almost zero face masks at VP today. 

Was surprised at just how few were in evidence. 

I thought the same. I was also thinking to myself these are going to be prime for super spreading events. Almost sat on top of each other and crammed in like sardines in the concourses. 

They aren't obligated to and I wouldn't lecture them on it but yesterday me, my wife and my daughter had to go to Cannock, may God have mercy on my soul. Anyway pretty much no one in masks in the shops, including my wife and daughter. 

My Dad rang me to say he had a positive test which I assume was lateral flow as he was on his way to get another test done.  I'm a bit confused at what to do next, I don't think I need to isolate as I'm double jabbed and a key worker but do I need to take a PCR or lateral test?  I had dinner out with him and my brother on Sunday afternoon.

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

My Dad rang me to say he had a positive test which I assume was lateral flow as he was on his way to get another test done.  I'm a bit confused at what to do next, I don't think I need to isolate as I'm double jabbed and a key worker but do I need to take a PCR or lateral test?  I had dinner out with him and my brother on Sunday afternoon.

You don’t need to isolate if double jabbed >2 weeks ago.

Lateral flow test if you haven’t got any symptoms. PCR if you do (or if you get a positive lateral flow test).

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

It's amazing how quickly it's gone from the majority wearing masks to the majority not wearing masks since the rules have been relaxed.

2 weeks ago it still seemed like everyone was wearing masks in public places. Now I feel like the odd one out when i wear mine

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's amazing how quickly it's gone from the majority wearing masks to the majority not wearing masks since the rules have been relaxed.

2 weeks ago it still seemed like everyone was wearing masks in public places. Now I feel like the odd one out when i wear mine

Seems to be different in the (very middle class, does that make a difference?) area I live in.  Majority of people - I'd say ~65% -  still wearing masks in shops.  I haven't really been to many pubs/restaurants etc but they seem to be continuing with covid-sensible protocols (please wear a mask until seated and so on).  The only places I've very much noticed that masks aren't being worn are soft play centres :D.

I think there's also an interesting thing happening whereby people feel, as you say, like the "odd one out".  I've found people who are generally cautious saying things like "well I wore my mask to <x>, but nobody else was wearing one so I took mine off".  I wonder if the same would be true of a place where people are generally wearing masks?  Some sort of psychological "fitting in" aspect going on.

Just now, bobzy said:

Seems to be different in the (very middle class, does that make a difference?) area I live in.  Majority of people - I'd say ~65% -  still wearing masks in shops.  I haven't really been to many pubs/restaurants etc but they seem to be continuing with covid-sensible protocols (please wear a mask until seated and so on).  The only places I've very much noticed that masks aren't being worn are soft play centres :D.

I think there's also an interesting thing happening whereby people feel, as you say, like the "odd one out".  I've found people who are generally cautious saying things like "well I wore my mask to <x>, but nobody else was wearing one so I took mine off".  I wonder if the same would be true of a place where people are generally wearing masks?  Some sort of psychological "fitting in" aspect going on.

That's probably true. I know that is how I feel at the gym. Literally nobody at the gym wears masks. Nobody. I mean they didn't when it was actually mandatory to do so, so there's no chance now. So I have to admit apart from wearing mine on the way in, I don't wear it at the gym anymore.

I bet it would be different if the masks protected you rather than other people. People are selfish. 

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, that's a good point about human behaviour. I guess the other thing is perhaps that (with the basic masks) the mask wearing protects other people, rather than the wearers, really. So if almost no-one is wearing one then there's not much point wearing one yourself (unless it's a high grade mask) in that particular situation, statistically speaking.

12 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ordered a day 2 test for a weekend over in the UK. Came without the test kit and just a return envelope. They don't want to give me a refund as they "don't do refunds". Well you didn't send me what I bloody ordered!

Tory donors not even pretending to do what they’ve been paid for

• Like 1

I was just reading about the sharp rise in cases in Scotland over the last week.

A total of 4,323 new cases were reported on Tuesday.

The previous highest level was during the summer wave in early July, when the number of daily cases peaked at 4,234.

——————

Ms Sturgeon told a Covid briefing that there had been a "sharp rise" in Covid-19 cases in recent days.

"New cases in Scotland have more than doubled over the past week, and that is one of the sharpest rises we have experienced at any point during the pandemic," she said.

—————————

She said that about half of all new cases were in people under the age of 25 with 34% of Tuesday's tally in the under 19s.

BBC

I’m amazed the story doesn’t link it to Scottish schools opening 12 days ago. 

Let’s see how England looks in a couple of weeks time. My lad goes back tomorrow. I don’t look forward to record numbers down here too.

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Seems to be different in the (very middle class, does that make a difference?) area I live in. 

I think it does. I've been to Morrisons in Lichfield (middle class, wealthy, more elderly population) and Tamworth (working class, younger, wider background of nationalities) and there is far more mask wearing in the former, although it has reduced. 

Round my area where I moved just outside of Birmingham lot of mask wearing still. Sainsburys etc.

Went to the Villa game and all me old haunts in Aston aswell as Costa.

Not a one. I promptly ditched it as above ...I ain't been the odd one out.

#peerpressure

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

The missus has just tested positive. So it's 10 days isolation for me. 

She wouldn't get the vaccination because she's been brainwashed by her complete spinner of a David Icke watching, essential oil dabbing, onions on the feet overnight, bunkum believing mother. 

We've had words but now I'm just worried about her recovery. She's got high temp and muscle pain as well as the loss of taste and smell. 

Good luck mate, my OH was pretty bad for a few days and she was double jabbed.

Get lots of pain killers in stock for the temp and the aches. 
Do her from behind for a few days to be safe

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Good luck mate, my OH was pretty bad for a few days and she was double jabbed.

Get lots of pain killers in stock for the temp and the aches. 
Do her from behind for a few days to be safe

Cheers.

Bulgaria, health-wise, is in a complete tailspin. 25% of the population have been vaccinated and they've had to send unused vaccines to Bhutan. Hospitals are at full capacity and mask wearing is observed as much as I'd like it to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

The missus has just tested positive. So it's 10 days isolation for me. 

She wouldn't get the vaccination because she's been brainwashed by her complete spinner of a David Icke watching, essential oil dabbing, onions on the feet overnight, bunkum believing mother. 

We've had words but now I'm just worried about her recovery. She's got high temp and muscle pain as well as the loss of taste and smell. 

Shit, I hope she gets through it well enough. 

My Dad has got it, he is double Pfizer jabbed and it must be a few months since he had his second.  He was a bit worried that he hadn't had a reaction from either jab and that it hadn't worked for him and so far nobody else he has been close to seems to have got it. He is probably just unlucky, hopefully he has enough protection to stop him getting it too badly.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

My Dad has got it, he is double Pfizer jabbed and it must be a few months since he had his second.  He was a bit worried that he hadn't had a reaction from either jab and that it hadn't worked for him and so far nobody else he has been close to seems to have got it. He is probably just unlucky, hopefully he has enough protection to stop him getting it too badly.

I didn’t have any reaction apart from a tender arm for 24 hours each time, I’ve managed to avoid catching Covid despite living with 3 infected people.

Â