Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It will never cease to amaze me that people won't trust a vaccine because it's "too experimental" despite the overwhelming evidence that it works, but are ok with contracting a disease that is nearly as young as the vaccine and has proven to kill millions of people

Exactly, I’m hearing more and more that hundreds of thousands of lives are saved, thousands and thousands of people being spared hospital treatment because of the freely available medicine.

Nah, someone died in New Zealand. It’s risky.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Exactly, I’m hearing more and more that hundreds of thousands of lives are saved, thousands and thousands of people being spared hospital treatment because of the freely available medicine.

Nah, someone died in New Zealand. It’s risky.

I think it comes back to the average person's inability to deal with scale.

They can't comprehend that one or two people dying out of the millions and millions of people who have had a vaccine is basically zero. It's so negligible it literally doesn't matter. You've got about as much chance of dying from the vaccine as you have of dying from Elvis riding on top of a UFO driven by the loch ness monster crashing into your face.

They can't do the comparison of something so small to something like Covid which has a much higher chance of being serious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It will never cease to amaze me that people won't trust a vaccine because it's "too experimental" despite the overwhelming evidence that it works, but are ok with contracting a disease that is nearly as young as the vaccine and has proven to kill millions of people

It works in what regard? Because it doesn't stop you contracting it, spreading it, or becoming ill with it. Sure it might lower the percentage, but to me that's not enough to warrant getting it - especially as there is no way of knowing if there will be any long terms effects from having the vaccine yet.

If, after 5 years, all of the data comes out that its safe, side effects are clear and it is proven to give 100% immunisation to it - then by all means I'll have it.

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

It works in what regard? Because it doesn't stop you contracting it, spreading it, or becoming ill with it. Sure it might lower the percentage, but to me that's not enough to warrant getting it - especially as there is no way of knowing if there will be any long terms effects from having the vaccine yet.

If, after 5 years, all of the data comes out that its safe, side effects are clear and it is proven to give 100% immunisation to it - then by all means I'll have it.

But there is already data showing there is long term of effects of contracting Covid, including death.

Lots of data to show far less people die and get seriously ill if they’ve had the vaccine.

You’re prioritising eliminating the chance of getting something unknown of which there is no real risk of, over avoiding getting a very real illness that can put you or family members in hospital or a coffin. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

it is proven to give 100% immunisation to it 

To the best of my knowledge, no vaccine is 100% effective. No medicine is 100% effective. You do you, you mad bastard. 

Edited by Davkaus

33 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

No vaccine is 100% effective so you'll be waiting a long time.

It works in exactly the way you've said. It drastically reduces your odds of contracting it, spreading it and getting severely ill with it.

No it doesn't reduce it to zero. But wearing a seatbelt doesn't 100% protect you from dying in a car crash. A helmet doesn't 100% protect you from dying if you crash your motorbike.

I don't really care if people don't want to get the vaccine. my point was about the backwards logic of saying it's too experimental and unknown as if the KNOWN effects of Covid, including death, is a better option.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The number of people/sceptics dying with their last words being “I wish I’d had the vaccine” is surely making it a bit obvious to people who haven’t had the vaccine isn’t it?

Bit dramatic mate.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Out of interest, while you remain unvacinnated, are you taking any precautions to avoid catching covid? 

Interesting.  I suspect those who are not fussed about getting vaccinated are probably taking very little precaution otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Out of interest, while you remain unvaccinated, are you taking any precautions to avoid catching covid? 

Sure. Still social distancing. I'll wear a mask where/if applicable. If I get symptoms I'll isolate.

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Anyone who abused, harassed and threatened healthcare staff on their way home from work should just be shot in the **** head. Society doesn’t need morons like that. They are a unhelpful noose around our collective necks, they contribute nothing to us.

I'll agree with you on that

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Its your choice. I was sceptical too but the risks of getting serioulsy ill and dying of Covid far outweigh the risks from the side effects of the vaccine. 

• Like 1

Â