Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Basically at this point not getting the vaccine is like boarding a very ancient, rickety looking aircraft which hasn't been serviced in years, but refusing a parachute offered to you upon boarding because your worried that when the airplane starts plummeting at the ground your chute might not open and the weight of it might hurt your back if the plane doesn't crash. 

If anything it’s like not getting in the plane until you’ve seen proof of a full service history and that the safety features have been inspected prior to take off.

What I don't understand is that they said at the very beginning of the vaccines is that they said new versions of the vaccine for new variants could be made "within weeks" 

As this Delta variant IS materially different to the original strain I'm suprised they haven't developed a new vaccination based on it... Even the booster jabs due in the next few weeks don't seem to be anything new. 

With that said, although people do seem to be getting ill, and quite ill from Delta, they are still not generally dying.  The people who are dying are overwhelmingly the unvaccinated, so I guess the current Vaccines ARE still doing their job, maybe not well enough to stop people getting ill, but enough to keep them alive. 

I do wonder if the third jab, especially if it's mix and match will drastically improve protection.  I don't know how the immune system works but as a layman you would THINK that if it's persistently seeing the same infection it would remember and react to it better? 

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

If anything it’s like not getting in the plane until you’ve seen proof of a full service history and that the safety features have been inspected prior to take off.

Unfortunately The Covid 747 is never going to look like that.  It's always going to be a rickety old bird that you're going to have no choice but to fly on.  It's everywhere and it's not going away now. 

15 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Again is there an example of a vaccine being harmful in the long run that has formed your worries about this one?

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's why I never leave the house without a motorcycle helmet. 

Yeah but the helmet won't 100% guarantee that your skull doesn't cave in so there's no point in wearing it

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Well if you want to continue this analogy, millions and millions of people have flown on that plane over and over again and everyone has been perfectly fine

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Has there ever been a vaccine that has resulted in long term effects?  I know there was the debunked link to autism for the MMR jab from what I remember but can't recall anything real.  I'm getting to the point where I think the jab and eventually boosters should be mandatory but I guess you can't really do that.  Probably the best thing to do is make it as difficult to function in society without having had one.

Yep, you can’t have the state injecting the population against their will.

That would be my tipping point on being a good compliant citizen.

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 16:55, Rugeley Villa said:

Does anyone think kids should be vaccinated ? I’m not sure what I think regarding that. 

I think so,  if you ask the question: "show me count of smallpox or measles sufferers within the child population in the world now and 100 years ago"

• Like 1

Both my children had a mild headache for a day which was cured with a spoon of calpol, they were testing positive for Covid for a week.

There must be so many primary school children carrying the virus around without knowing. If it’s proven low risk then I think they are a big step towards reducing transmission. 

My youngest went back to school today.  It feels wrong.  My parenting instincts are torn between knowing that I'm sending my kids into an unsafe environment pretty much designed to give them covid and knowing that if I keep them out they will fall behind in their education and how hard it is to catch back up, never mind missing out social aspects.  I wouldn't feel so bad if they had done something to mitigate against the spread in schools (masks, proper ventilation, bubbles etc) but all they have done is remove all the safety measures.  Covid has so many long term possible consequences for health that are already proven to impact children I really don't understand why as a nation we are doing absolutely nothing to prevent the spread in anyone under 16.

36 minutes ago, Straggler said:

My youngest went back to school today.  It feels wrong.  My parenting instincts are torn between knowing that I'm sending my kids into an unsafe environment pretty much designed to give them covid and knowing that if I keep them out they will fall behind in their education and how hard it is to catch back up, never mind missing out social aspects.  I wouldn't feel so bad if they had done something to mitigate against the spread in schools (masks, proper ventilation, bubbles etc) but all they have done is remove all the safety measures.  Covid has so many long term possible consequences for health that are already proven to impact children I really don't understand why as a nation we are doing absolutely nothing to prevent the spread in anyone under 16.

I'm the opposite.  My kids just starting year 2 and he's missed 1/3 of his school education already.  He's had to self isolate because some kid on the opposite side of the year got it, on a couple of occasions.  He had the initial lockdown off and the second lockdown.  

Most adults are now vaccine'd up and the kids who are getting it are not really showing symptoms at all - lots of them who have got it, didn't even realise they had it.

It's got to return to normal at some point - we can't force the idiots who don't want the vaccine to have it, so they live with that decision - everyone else is playing ball and we've got to get back to normality.  I'm all for bringing in restrictive measures if hospitals are getting overloaded, or new evidence surfaces which shows COVID is affecting new things. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm the opposite.  My kids just starting year 2 and he's missed 1/3 of his school education already.  He's had to self isolate because some kid on the opposite side of the year got it, on a couple of occasions.  He had the initial lockdown off and the second lockdown.  

Most adults are now vaccine'd up and the kids who are getting it are not really showing symptoms at all - lots of them who have got it, didn't even realise they had it.

It's got to return to normal at some point - we can't force the idiots who don't want the vaccine to have it, so they live with that decision - everyone else is playing ball and we've got to get back to normality.  I'm all for bringing in restrictive measures if hospitals are getting overloaded, or new evidence surfaces which shows COVID is affecting new things. 

I do want my kids back at school, but I don't want the assumption to be that it's ok for them to catch covid. I'm not even asking for much, just the same mitigation that most other developed nations are doing like making sure that classrooms are well ventilated or letting teens get the vaccine. I just don't accept that doing nothing to prevent spread in schools is ok 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Bad idea to be vaccinating teenagers IMHO.

Why?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm genuinely interested. We vaccinate teenagers for other stuff, why is this different?

• Like 2

We have vaccines as babies, then others at primary school age, and others at high school.

If the experts say it’s safe then who am I to say otherwise. 

Maybe I was being naive but I thought that with a large percentage of adults vaccinated it would effectively struggle to move from person to person but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Maybe schools are the key to this. Scotland’s cases have rocketed since their children went back to school a few weeks ago.

Emphasis has been on older people who will be in trouble if they caught it, where it might be that focus now should be on the people that carry it, and spread it without realising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Straggler said:

I've seen my kids suffer, particularly my son, from taking their GCSE's and A Levels after 2 years of interrupted schooling. 

There are literally insignificant numbers of young kids getting seriously ill.  I really think there will be more long term damage done to them now due to interrupted education. 

My kids fortunately go to a really good school, one of the top comprehensives in the country.  I can't even begin to imagine how disadvantaged some kids in inner city and poorer quality schools will be by now. 

I think it's time for them to get their lives back again now.  

I wouldn't be suprised if Covid already burned through schools in June/July anyway. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â