Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Had the misfortune of going to Costco at Star City tonight. Think I saw three people wearing masks. I know it’s not obligatory now but I mostly split my time between London and Brighton and the overwhelming majority of people there are still masking up so it was a real surprise to see so few people in Birmingham doing so.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Had the misfortune of going to Costco at Star City tonight. Think I saw three people wearing masks. I know it’s not obligatory now but I mostly split my time between London and Brighton and the overwhelming majority of people there are still masking up so it was a real surprise to see so few people in Birmingham doing so.  

Really? I’d be more surprised if more people wore masks than not. I’ve given up on most people now. 

I'm no anti-vaxxer (I have the full works of everything there is to take) but here is an interesting take on the ridicule of people who decide not to get vaccinated.

There are numerous studies that show that imperfect vaccinations (like our Covid19 ones) where the vaccinated person can still be infected and pass on the virus may lead to a greater spread of more dangerous strains:

Could some vaccines drive the evolution of more virulent pathogens? Conventional wisdom is that natural selection will remove highly lethal pathogens if host death greatly reduces transmission. Vaccines that keep hosts alive but still allow transmission could thus allow very virulent strains to circulate in a population.

Our data show that anti-disease vaccines that do not prevent transmission can create conditions that promote the emergence of pathogen strains that cause more severe disease in unvaccinated hosts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516275/

Nevertheless, partially effective (imperfect) vaccines may be used to protect both individuals and whole populations1,2,3. We studied the potential impact of different types of imperfect vaccines on the evolution of pathogen virulence (induced host mortality) and the consequences for public health. Here we show that vaccines designed to reduce pathogen growth rate and/or toxicity diminish selection against virulent pathogens. The subsequent evolution leads to higher levels of intrinsic virulence and hence to more severe disease in unvaccinated individuals. This evolution can erode any population-wide benefits such that overall mortality rates are unaffected, or even increase, with the level of vaccination coverage.

https://www.nature.com/articles/414751a

Edited by Mic09

20 hours ago, ender4 said:

Where do you live?  I thought we weren't mixing vaccines between doses?

Have a pick 'n' mix. Variety is the spice of life. I might get myself a cheeky dose of AZ in the Winter and a jab of Pfizer in Spring. Gotta catch 'em all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Pfizer is still keeping me away from covid in a house full of infected people. Pretty incredible really.

Wife is still a bit poorly, heavy cold would be the best way to describe it.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Went to a few shops today, wore my mask, but mask wearing was down to about 50% on average. Thats fine, it doesn't bother me. Last visit I made, to Costa, I didn't put my mask on. Mainly as i'd forgot as opposed to being a conscious decision!

Here, it’s almost back to doing a double take when you see someone wearing a mask, as if you’d have to be some kind of  tinfoil hatted conspiracy theorist to want to wear one. Which is crazy, of course, but there really isn’t any particular reason for most people to wear a mask here now. And it’s nice to actually see people’s faces again. 

Edited by El Zen

If people choose not to wear a mask, I don't really care, as long as they keep the **** out of my way, which of course, they don't. It's people brushing past me and refusing to keep any kind of distance when not wearing a mask which pisses me off.

Us people that like their personal space are never going to have had it as good as we had it in the last year :D 

• Like 3

The other day I saw a load of kids (aged 12-15 roughly) queuing up to buy ice creams from a shop with had a serving hatch. Longish queue, maybe 20 people or so. Basically standing in line outside while an internal shop had no one inside. Literally no one queuing inside.

I mentioned it to someone I was there with and they said they had pointed out the empty shop to them, but they were reluctant to go inside without their masks. 

While I like their cautious approach, I did feel a bit for them that they didn’t feel safe.

Heil article, but this is just disgusting. Premium travel tax on everyone, pushed directly to Tory chums pockets and for nothing.

Holidaymakers are paying millions for Covid tests that are not being checked for potentially dangerous new variants.

They spent more than £26million on PCR swabs after arriving in England during July, research suggests today.

But only 293 of the 4,998 samples that came back positive were sequenced – meaning they were analysed for possible mutations of the virus – even though ministers insist it is crucial for tracking the pandemic.

The analysis of official figures carried out by the Liberal Democrats means each sequenced test cost passengers the equivalent of £90,000.

It comes amid growing anger at the huge cost of Covid tests for families taking foreign breaks or visiting relatives overseas this summer.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9896543/Fresh-travel-testing-farce-6-positive-swabs-sent-analysis-track-new-Covid-variants.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailUK

• Like 2

Re: mask wearing. I tend to follow the request of the establishment I'm visiting. In homebase they still have signs up asking for masks and the staff wear them, so I do too. In other places where it's not requested, I don't. I know that indoors is the riskiest place but my feeling is that we have up 18 months of our lives to try to get back to some degree of freedom. If I can't take my mask off now, I'll never be able to. But if it's a shop requesting it, I'm fine with that.

The hand sanitiser thing winds me up though - it's the classic emperor's new clothes. People are still doing it because news hasn't yet reached them it's pointless. Shops still have it outside and ask you use it. It's ridiculous, we need to call this out and stop with the nonsense.

Also, masks outdoors. This is also pointless. Hand sanitising for COVID protection and outdoor masks need to stop, while people need to realise that the risks indoors without ventilation are higher than they've been led to believe (which I know makes my non mask wearing inside seem like I know I'm taking a risk, I am, but right now when almost all vulnerable won't die because they're vaccinated, there would have been more sense wearing a mask before COVID when I could have passed flu to someone elderly, unvaccinated and killed them)

• Like 2

Yeah, considering the amount of blokes I used to see walking out of the toilets without washing their hands, 18 months of encouraging hand hygiene isn't the worst thing in the world, even if we now know it's not a big vector for covid infection.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xela said:

NZ going into a national lockdown for 1 new case. 

Not sure if that is very efficient or complete and utter madness. 

They don’t know where the case came from or how long the virus has been in the country. It was not a returning traveler from abroad who tested positive but a local resident so there must be more cases they don’t know about yet. 

My hunch is that if this is delta and someone’s been spreading it unbeknownst for a few days the lockdown won’t be enough to stop it. 

Â