Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Getting my second jab today as the council decided to offer teachers drop in slots for second doses. 

I can even begin thinking about travel again after this. Can’t wait!

• Like 2

A smidge under 30,000 cases today. I think it’s going to sneak up more over the next couple of weeks of summer holidays.

A few of the lads in my boys football team seem to be isolating too following their holidays.

2 people at work (out of our team of 9) had positive tests this week.

Hopefully the important KPI’s stay stable which leads me onto, what is an acceptable number of daily deaths?

I remember someone once said that a couple of years ago 25,000 people died of flu and nobody noticed. That’s about 70 a day averaged over the year. 
Is 70-100 a day an acceptable level to keep things unrestricted?

I still think the government considers hospital admissions more important than deaths. As Bozza said, let the bodies pile up. As Long as the NHS is not at risk of being overrun we’ll keep the foot on the gas.

Our health minister has promised a «back to normal» sometime this autumn, at which time we’ll apparantly be able to «dance close and go on [sic] one night stands again». 

Cool. I’ll promptly notify the wife. 

There is something decidedly disturbing about a very, very middle aged conservative politician advising single, young people they can go out and **** each other again.

Edited by El Zen
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I remember someone once said that a couple of years ago 25,000 people died of flu and nobody noticed. That’s about 70 a day averaged over the year. 

25-30000 in a bad year but on average it’s normally about 10,000 a year. So about 28 a day on average.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

A smidge under 30,000 cases today. I think it’s going to sneak up more over the next couple of weeks of summer holidays

Looking at the graph of cases, it’s like the upward trend that was happening until mid June, which then rocketed and fell back (probably because of the Euros) has kind of returned - by that I mean were exactly where you expect us to be if the early June trend had just carried on

3F532005-A797-4713-96D4-FF3215584047.jpeg

I guess that with the Premier League restarting in 2 days, we’re going to see further increases in the rate for a while

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

A smidge under 30,000 cases today. I think it’s going to sneak up more over the next couple of weeks of summer holidays.

A few of the lads in my boys football team seem to be isolating too following their holidays.

2 people at work (out of our team of 9) had positive tests this week.

Hopefully the important KPI’s stay stable which leads me onto, what is an acceptable number of daily deaths?

I still think the government considers hospital admissions more important than deaths. As Bozza said, let the bodies pile up. As Long as the NHS is not at risk of being overrun we’ll keep the foot on the gas.

Its becomes an issue if its working age people that are dying. I don't this govt care about oaps' dying. Save on pensions and care costs. win win  for them. 

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its becomes an issue if its working age people that are dying. I don't this govt care about oaps' dying. Save on pensions and care costs. win win  for them. 

OAPs are their voter base

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yeah, that's why the vaccinated all the workers first and the pensioners last. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Couldn't do it any other way. 

Well they could. They could have vaccinated all the workers first and let the pensioners die which is what the OP was suggesting the government wanted to do. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well they could. They could have vaccinated all the workers first and let the pensioners die which is what the OP was suggesting the government wanted to do. 

Yes its was the elderly and people with underlying health issues that were most vunerable to the virus so its the only way they could do it because if they hadn't hospitalisations and deaths would have been far far greater. That doesn't mean that they care.  My point is that they are going to far more likely go into another lockdown if if the numbers of  young and healthy who have been double vaccinated going to into hospital and dying start increasing dramatically than if its pensioners. 

On 11/08/2021 at 10:55, El Zen said:

Getting my second jab today as the council decided to offer teachers drop in slots for second doses. 

I can even begin thinking about travel again after this. Can’t wait!

Had Moderna this time (Pfizer first.) 

It’s knocked me out a bit. Straight to bed after work and feeling decidedly feverish. 

42 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Had Moderna this time (Pfizer first.) 

It’s knocked me out a bit. Straight to bed after work and feeling decidedly feverish. 

Where do you live?  I thought we weren't mixing vaccines between doses?

Â