Generic Virus Thread

villakram

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Latest TV ad for Flash cleaner - "Kill covid-19 with Flash anti-bacterial". 

It's a a **** ing virus, it's not bacteria! 

I'm obviously completely unaware of the particular advert but it is possible for a product branded as anti-bacterial to also be anti-viral especially if it contains detergents

49 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It will just be a QR code you receive on your phone. China do this for people who have been cleared to visit shops and bars etc. Scan your phone at the door to be allowed entry.

How is that going to work when I travel to Greece or Spain or whatever? How will my information about when I was vaccinated and with what vaccine be included on a QR code? I'm not aware of a continent-wide system for recording this information in that form.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Latest TV ad for Flash cleaner - "Kill covid-19 with Flash anti-bacterial". 

It's a a **** ing virus, it's not bacteria! 

It's also largely not transmitted through surfaces. That's skating extremely close to misinformation in my book, even if it is in some sense technically correct.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bickster said:

Good luck with getting travel insurance that covers COVID to travel abroad in the near future, You can't even rely on your EU medical rights you had until January

There are providers offering COVID cover with their travel insurance. The Post Office is one of them. 

EHIC are still valid if in date and many are long dated (mine runs well into 2024), but what specifically changed about medical rights in January?

If you are planning a holiday in a country in the European Union (EU), you might be wondering whether your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will still be valid.

As part of the deal announced on 24 December 2020, the UK and the EU agreed that the cards can still be used until their expiry dates.

After that, the government will issue a new Global Heath Insurance Card (GHIC) which will replace the EHIC for the majority of UK citizens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

How is that going to work when I travel to Greece or Spain or whatever? How will my information about when I was vaccinated and with what vaccine be included on a QR code? I'm not aware of a continent-wide system for recording this information in that form.

You won’t be able to check in without it. 

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You won’t be able to check in without it. 

I'm not saying this is impossible, because little is impossible, but you are hand-waving away a lot of complexity in 'it'll be a QR code' and 'you won't be able to check in without it'.

Let's start from the beginning - there is no such thing as a vaccine passport *now*. So right now, all the time, hundreds of thousands of people are receiving their second jabs and this information is not being converted into QR codes of any kind. So the first decision to make is, who is responsible for the information that I have been vaccinated being converted into a QR code? Am I responsible, I enter it on a website and self-certify? If so, what safeguard against fraud is there? If not, we are talking about a department of civil servants whose job it is to turn the fact that I have been vaccinated into a QR code. That's going to be expensive, there's a lot of demand. And are all countries keeping a central register of who has been vaccinated when? Are we (I don't know the answer)?

Then there are questions about exceptions. What are we doing with people who will never be able to get vaccinated, for medical reasons? What about people who were vaccinated in a third country, ie what if I received my vaccinations in America, but I want to fly from the UK to Greece? Then jurisdiction - whose rules are being applied, ie what if I am over 65 in the UK and receuve two doses of the AZ vaccine, and want to fly to Germany, where the vaccine is not licensed for use in over-65s? And what if people have received vaccines that haven't had wide approval in Europe, like the Chinese vaccine? What happens if my code won't scan for some reason?

None of this is impossible, but it doesn't exist now and has never existed before, so all of this will need to be decided and created, and it's going to take lots of time, money and negotiation, and I think @sharkyvilla is making a reasonable point in that by the time these systems have got out of beta-testing and their teething troubles, a lot of the most vulnerable groups may well have been vaccinated anyway, and the need for the passports to exist might have significantly reduced.

• Like 2

One for the Russia thread as well as this one but a Russian site called Meduza are claiming the the death figures in Russia is actually 480.000 rather than the 79.000 they'e officially claiming. If so this makes them the worst nation in the world for dead per capita. No idea if it's correct but wouldn't surprise me. There is a long article on their site but you'll have to Google translate.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not saying this is impossible, because little is impossible, but you are hand-waving away a lot of complexity in 'it'll be a QR code' and 'you won't be able to check in without it'.

Let's start from the beginning - there is no such thing as a vaccine passport *now*. So right now, all the time, hundreds of thousands of people are receiving their second jabs and this information is not being converted into QR codes of any kind. So the first decision to make is, who is responsible for the information that I have been vaccinated being converted into a QR code? Am I responsible, I enter it on a website and self-certify? If so, what safeguard against fraud is there? If not, we are talking about a department of civil servants whose job it is to turn the fact that I have been vaccinated into a QR code. That's going to be expensive, there's a lot of demand. And are all countries keeping a central register of who has been vaccinated when? Are we (I don't know the answer)?

Then there are questions about exceptions. What are we doing with people who will never be able to get vaccinated, for medical reasons? What about people who were vaccinated in a third country, ie what if I received my vaccinations in America, but I want to fly from the UK to Greece? Then jurisdiction - whose rules are being applied, ie what if I am over 65 in the UK and receuve two doses of the AZ vaccine, and want to fly to Germany, where the vaccine is not licensed for use in over-65s? And what if people have received vaccines that haven't had wide approval in Europe, like the Chinese vaccine? What happens if my code won't scan for some reason?

None of this is impossible, but it doesn't exist now and has never existed before, so all of this will need to be decided and created, and it's going to take lots of time, money and negotiation, and I think @sharkyvilla is making a reasonable point in that by the time these systems have got out of beta-testing and their teething troubles, a lot of the most vulnerable groups may well have been vaccinated anyway, and the need for the passports to exist might have significantly reduced.

spacer.png

I’m sure for a modest pay rise and the promise of another title we could persuade the excellent Dido to smash this simple task.

You just absolutely know, that 6 months down the line, she’d be explaining that nobody could have known that the app only works on the latest version of the ipad.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's also largely not transmitted through surfaces. That's skating extremely close to misinformation in my book, even if it is in some sense technically correct.

This - one thousand times.

Remember last Feb when everyone was washing there hands every 5 mins - and sanitizer gel was stripped from the supermarket shelves.? - but the cases didn't start falling until went into lockdown.

FWIW - I'm pretty much convinced it spreads through the air.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m sure for a modest pay rise and the promise of another title we could persuade the excellent Dido to smash this simple task.

The only thing in her defence is that (I think) she's doing the role unpaid, thus almost, but not quite, providing value for money

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

This - one thousand times.

Remember last Feb when everyone was washing there hands every 5 mins - and sanitizer gel was stripped from the supermarket shelves.? - but the cases didn't start falling until went into lockdown.

FWIW - I'm pretty much convinced it spreads through the air.

As of fairly late last year, the WHO could not confirm the finding of any case of transmission from contaminated surfaces ('fomites'). That doesn't mean it hasn't happened - and I haven't checked for a few months now - but it is clear that the vast majority of cases are airborne, and certainly that superspreading events are airborne rather than through fomites.

The question of how honest the manufacturers of Flash are being is a grey area: I can completely believe that cleaning surfaces with their product removes the virus from surfaces and so in some way it is probably more than zero help, but the truth is no matter how much cleaning of surfaces anybody does, opening the window would be hundreds of times more effective, and in general if people are only going to remember one thing it must be ventilation rather than wiping down surfaces.

Edited by HanoiVillan

2 hours ago, sne said:

One for the Russia thread as well as this one but a Russian site called Meduza are claiming the the death figures in Russia is actually 480.000 rather than the 79.000 they'e officially claiming. If so this makes them the worst nation in the world for dead per capita. No idea if it's correct but wouldn't surprise me. There is a long article on their site but you'll have to Google translate.

I think a lot of nations are being less than truthful with the genuine figures. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Apparently from Monday the over 65s and people with underlying health issues will be getting the jabs.  Being diabetic I should hopefully be hearing soon then. 

Letter arrived Saturday, I booked online immediately for tomorrow afternoon. Most efficient. Second one isn't till the 7th May, though. 

• Like 1

Good news... My Dad was vaccinated yesterday so that's nearly all immediate family members done. 

Bad news... Just had an email from the little ones nursery advising one of their staff has tested positive. So nursery is now closed for 10 days and we have a 3 Yr old at home full time again whilst trying to both work. 

Â