Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just typed up a massive post then accidentally wiped it.  Aaagghb, can't be arsed to type it again. 

In summary, they're being cautious in case they say all is OK, everyone books then the world turns to shit.   

Don't blame us, we told you. 

Variants/Vaccine rollout elsewhere. 

It will become clearer in a couple of months. 

Personally I was lucky I hadn't booked anything last year as was due a big USA family holiday this year. 

We're not booking anything again this year now. 

Do prisoners pick their meals from a menu weekly of 4 weekly and have them delivered to their cells? Yes

Do prisoners have TV’s, phones and sometimes game consoles in their cells? Yes

Would I like to be in prison? No

Do I think it’s easy in prison? No

Would I swap with them? No

Would I like to go on holiday this year? Yes

Would it improve my mental health? Yes

If I wasn’t allowed to go would I be severely upset about it? No

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do prisoners pick their meals from a menu weekly of 4 weekly and have them delivered to their cells? Yes

Do prisoners have TV’s, phones and sometimes game consoles in their cells? Yes

Would I like to be in prison? No

Do I think it’s easy in prison? No

Would I swap with them? No

My parents used to have this argument over and over. Mom thought prison was a luxurious holiday camp because they were allowed TV and books (drugs and mobile phones unheard of back then). Dad insisted that none of that could mitigate against deprivation of liberty. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My parents used to have this argument over and over. Mom thought prison was a luxurious holiday camp because they were allowed TV and books (drugs and mobile phones unheard of back then). Dad insisted that none of that could mitigate against deprivation of liberty. 

Unless you’re homeless, job-less and have absolutely nothing good in your life then prison is never an attractive option.

I haven’t experienced prison myself (spent a fair few evenings in the cells but that’s not even remotely the same) but I’ve sadly had to deal with it up close and personal in the past 12+ months.

It’s nothing short of horrific, exacerbated for sure by the pandemic in the past year but I can’t imagine it’s much more fun under ‘normal’ conditions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Can I have it warmed up please? :) 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Can I have it warmed up please? :) 

That’s a predicament, because prisons are not nice places to be, but prisoners should also not have to eat cold meals. I’m torn whether it should be allowed :lol: 

This? (awesome response from the Corporate brands by the way on the feed above :))

Anyway, latest UK coronavirus stats:

- 13,494 positive cases (down from something like 20,000 this time last week I believe)

- 698 deaths

We're getting there, slowly but surely. 

Edited by trekka

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's exactly right, and I don't understand why they're doing it.

Because evidence has shown it is necessary.

Take Israel, where vaccination is probably the best in the world right now in terms of numbers. But the spread of the virus is continuing at a rate. People are still falling seriously ill with it (and worse). They are still in lockdown (though not as strict or as well adhered to as ours).

If we're going to get back to some kind of normalcy, then the number of cases needs to be knocked right down. Vaccination will not do that alone. It's far far better to continue our lockdown, than ease it too early and just see a return of high numbers of cases, but with mutations - another major problem with allowing society to open up without having nailed the virus cases right right down.

It's pigging everyone off, understandably, but it's definitely the right thing to do. If for once they don't get the timing wrong - lockdown too late, release too soon, has been the pattern then we may avoid another lockdown next autumn (or before). The vaccine does not stop the spread, though it slows it. Lockdown doubles (or better) that slowdown. Both are necessary, still.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, trekka said:
Anyway, latest UK coronavirus stats:

- 13,494 positive cases (down from something like 20,000 this time last week I believe)

- 698 deaths

We're getting there, slowly but surely. 

But it is nothing to do with the vaccine of course.

Anyhow, latest cock up is still failing to clearly categorise asthma sufferers, with yet more confusing information released today. Long and short if you have asthma you may be in group 4, 6 or immediately after 9 or in the pot with everyone else. You may or may not have had to take oral steroids, or possibly a steroid inhaler and you may or may not have needed hospital treatment over an unspecified period. It is really not rocket science, why would anyone offered the flu jab (for none age reasons) be any lower than group 6?

Edited by AndyClarke

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Because evidence has shown it is necessary.

Take Israel, where vaccination is probably the best in the world right now in terms of numbers. But the spread of the virus is continuing at a rate. People are still falling seriously ill with it (and worse). They are still in lockdown (though not as strict or as well adhered to as ours).

If we're going to get back to some kind of normalcy, then the number of cases needs to be knocked right down. Vaccination will not do that alone. It's far far better to continue our lockdown, than ease it too early and just see a return of high numbers of cases, but with mutations - another major problem with allowing society to open up without having nailed the virus cases right right down.

It's pigging everyone off, understandably, but it's definitely the right thing to do. If for once they don't get the timing wrong - lockdown too late, release too soon, has been the pattern then we may avoid another lockdown next autumn (or before). The vaccine does not stop the spread, though it slows it. Lockdown doubles (or better) that slowdown. Both are necessary, still.

I think you've misunderstood; I'm not saying I don't understand why they're not opening up, I'm saying I don't understand why they're doing lots of doom-mongering media messaging. Though I suppose I do understand why they're doing that, I just wish they wouldn't.

I don't object to waiting until cases have fallen further before reopening in principle, and that's what's going to happen anyway. Clearly nothing at all is going to happen until March 8th.

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

think you've misunderstood; I'm not saying I don't understand why they're not opening up, I'm saying I don't understand why they're doing lots of doom-mongering media messaging.

Ok. Sorry. I guess the messaging is necessary because of the throbbers- the ones amongst the Tory MPs who are anti lockdown, and also to stop people getting lax or ignoring the restrictions “because vaccine”.

I think the only reason we're likely to be in lockdown for a while longer yet is because of the fear of virus mutations. If people continue to get the virus in such large numbers, especially after they've been vaccinated, then the likelihood of the virus mutating into a much worse strain only increases and at a quicker rate too.

If that happens we're worse off than when this started. More deaths, more lockdowns, less effective vaccines. We simply have to get the number of new cases down to an absolute minimum before opening things up again.

Yes it's a pain, and I especially feel for those in deprived areas where people live on top of each other in houses or flats that are far too small. It's not fair on them. I'm lucky to have a garden where the kids can play on their trampoline or slide. I couldn't imagine the mental effects of truly having no space during lockdown, and I can totally understand why people want it to end.

• Like 4

If only they'd come to this revelation before they let the numbers get out of control then encouraged people to mix at Christmas.

They got the vaccine strategy right. They completely **** up literally everything else, and it shouldn't be forgiven.

• Like 3

Â