Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Although, the y'know, not dying thing helps to even that up a bit so...swings and roundabouts eh?

I think it's fair to say it's been shit for everyone.

Exactly, in the greater scheme of things, waiting a few extra months to be able to go on holiday isn't that big a deal for me.  Isn't the Kent variant now or predicted to be the most common in the world?  Other countries are less well off in terms of vaccinations so allowing everyone in could have dire consequences for them.  We could just wait until everyone has had their vaccine so it's fair but then you're denying the economy on millions or billions of quid over the next few months.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Although, the y'know, not dying thing helps to even that up a bit so...swings and roundabouts eh?

I was with you even 6 months ago. I was pro-lockdown, pro-shielding.

But now, and potentially going into this summer? I'm not sure how you can expect young people to keep being locked down, knocked way down the vaccine list, whilst those people to whom they sacrificed a great deal of time to protect, are allowed off and about, and to resume their lives.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Incredibly stupid comment. Being locked down for 18 months due to a virus that likely won't kill you has done/will do immense harm to people's mental health.

Bang on. Young people have been shit on and will continue to be shit on for this entire pandemic.

Stupid comment?

It's barely worth the response. 

I'm not denying lockdown has been hard but there are thousands of ways of getting therapy for that which doesn't involve travelling. 

Your whole demeanor seems to basically resent having to protect at risk people. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Your whole demeanor seems to basically resent having to protect at risk people. 

Complete nonsense.

I resent discrimination against young people, that seems to be the underlying theme of the pandemic response.

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not denying lockdown has been hard but there are thousands of ways of getting therapy for that which doesn't involve travelling. 

This displays an alarming level of ignorance frankly. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, I was just going to post similar. 

I had covid and so did my wife, we didn't die. If some old bloke, who has finally been vaccinated, gets to go on holiday before me than I can live with that. 

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I was with you even 6 months ago. I was pro-lockdown, pro-shielding.

But now, and potentially going into this summer? I'm not sure how you can expect young people to keep being locked down, knocked way down the vaccine list, whilst those people to whom they sacrificed a great deal of time to protect, are allowed off and about, and to resume their lives.

I'm pretty sure on 22nd Feb we will go back into a tiered system.  I don't think it will be a case of us being locked indoors while the old people can do whatever they want, right now I'd take being able to book a table with a mate or two and maybe the rule of 6 outdoors during spring.  

FWIW, I'm not 'young' and I'm not even living in the UK so I'm very much looking at this from an outsider's perspective.

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure on 22nd Feb we will go back into a tiered system.  I don't think it will be a case of us being locked indoors while the old people can do whatever they want

I'm talking about 'vaccine passports'.

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm pretty sure on 22nd Feb we will go back into a tiered system.

That seems very soon . . . They're not talking about schools going back until March 8th, and I don't think we'll be entering a tiered system  before then.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Me too, I’m not sure I fully agree that young people had it worst. They mainly had the same as everyone else. The attempt to keep things normal for university students backfired massively.

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Because you’re only 18 once, you’re only 21 once, you only have your first year at Uni once, a lot of people have missed out on some pretty major events. 

With all due respect it’s easy to lock yourself indoors when your 40+ years old, but putting myself in the shoes of my 18 year old self - I don’t know how I would have managed myself during this past year. 

We’ve hit pause on life but time has continued, and it’s time people will never get back.

I’m not sure why it’s so much harder for an 18 year old over a 40 year old? 99% of 18 year olds will be at home with very little responsibility. It’s not great, but I don’t see how it’s worse for them, it’s a lot easier if anything. 
The 40 year old is working, either from home or having to risk health going into office/shop/factory. He has to teach his children home schooling. Possibly has elderly relatives that he/she needs to look after, get food for, take for appointments. 
I really can’t see how 18/21 year olds have had it worst. Or his vaccine passports is worse for them either.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That seems very soon . . . They're not talking about schools going back until March 8th, and I don't think we'll be entering a tiered system  before then.

I agree. Schools will be the first lifted restriction. Boris has said it all along so it’s gospel 😉 

A tiered system may get announced on the 22nd for intro after the 8th March.

Just now, Genie said:

Me too, I’m not sure I fully agree that young people had it worst. They mainly had the same as everyone else. The attempt to keep things normal for university students backfired massively.

I’m not sure why it’s so much harder for an 18 year old over a 40 year old? 99% of 18 year olds will be at home with very little responsibility. It’s not great, but I don’t see how it’s worse for them, it’s a lot easier if anything. 
The 40 year old is working, either from home or having to risk health going into office/shop/factory. He has to teach his children home schooling. Possibly has elderly relatives that he/she needs to look after, get food for, take for appointments. 
I really can’t see how 18/21 year olds have had it worst. Or his vaccine passports is worse for them either.

I can only assume that you’ve completely forgotten what it is to be 18 or you and I had very different youths.

I’m 37, excitement for me is a decent film on the TV and a Nando’s delivery. When I was 18 I could barely sit still in the same place for longer than an hour.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I can only assume that you’ve completely forgotten what it is to be 18 or you and I had very different youths.

I’m 37, excitement for me is a decent film on the TV and a Nando’s delivery. When I was 18 I could barely sit still in the same place for longer than an hour.

Mainly having to stay in and amuse ones self is still not really comparable to the negative impact on “grown ups” lives who have actual responsibilities and challenges to deal with every day.

18: I’m bored and frustrated I can’t go out and about

40: I’m bored and frustrated I can’t go out and about, plus I have to spend 40 hours in a factory with lots of people who could be carrying the virus leading me to take it home. I have to home school my children. Sort out shopping deliveries of go to the supermarket. Make sure my parents and grand parents are ok and take them to their appointments. I’m worried about my job and my ability to pay the bills and keep a roof over our heads.

• Like 2

I’m really not in to this ranking of the importance of people’s time based on their age.

That can **** right off.

I’ve spent 23 years bringing up kids and devoting my time and my money to them.

This year, for the first time in my adult life, I could do something else, get the reward for being a totally excellent selfless debt ridden parent.

How does that make my time in 2021 any more or less valuable than someone else’s that potentially just wants to go to Ibiza for lager?

Ridiculous argument to rank people by age.

Why not rank them by salary and disposable income, or likelihood to spend money in british shops, or some other divisive nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Or his vaccine passports is worse for them either.

I'm not sure how you don't get it?

Young people lock down to protect older/at risk people, then older/at risk people are allowed out before them? Totally backwards.

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

@bickster mentioned taxi drivers will be among the next lot of vaccinations with a possible announcement on the 15th Feb, if so then I can definitely see teachers being done in the 3 weeks before 8th March.  It then depends on whether we can risk opening things up again for table service for example in the meantime, I guess thinking about it the 22nd might be a bit early.  I'm pretty sure I heard the plans for the 22nd Feb onwards would be announced in advance anyway.  

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Why not rank them by salary and disposable income, or likelihood to spend money in british shops, or some other divisive nonsense.

I'm with you, and I hope you're not reading my posts as ranking people by ages. I remember your anger at the student discussion we had previously, and some of the anti-student responses on here.

But the idea of a vaccine passport does just that. It gives preferential treatment based on factors that they can't control.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not sure how you don't get it?

Young people lock down to protect older/at risk people, then older/at risk people are allowed out before them? Totally backwards.

Nothing is agreed is it? The message I keep seeing is that nobody will be allowed on foreign holidays until everyone is vaccinated. Of course this is the tories so you never know but that’s the message. Boris said this week his advice is not to book ANY summer holidays (UK or abroad).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

if so then I can definitely see teachers being done in the 3 weeks before 8th March

As it happens I just bumped into a colleague whose missus is a teacher and she's already been told she's in the next round

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Nothing is agreed is it? The message I keep seeing is that nobody will be allowed on foreign holidays until everyone is vaccinated. Of course this is the tories so you never know but that’s the message. Boris said this week his advice is not to book ANY summer holidays (UK or abroad).

I started the conversation that vaccine passports can **** off, based on what I heard on the radio, and what Patel *Spit* said.

Â