Generic Virus Thread

villakram

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That seems very soon . . . They're not talking about schools going back until March 8th, and I don't think we'll be entering a tiered system  before then.

I've got a feeling that schools won't go back until after the Easter break. Few clients I have spoken to, who work with schools, think the same. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I started the conversation that vaccine passports can **** off, based on what I heard on the radio, and what Patel *Spit* said.

What did she say?

All the government news I’ve seen says don’t think about holidays abroad this summer, at least. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I've got a feeling that schools won't go back until after the Easter break. Few clients I have spoken to, who work with schools, think the same. 

If that is the case then what is there to discuss on 22nd Feb? You would assume nothing recreational opens up until the schools go back. I’m still thinking they go back on the 8th with a tier system coming into play from early April once they’ve had a few weeks to gauge what’s happening with schools being open.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nothing is agreed is it? The message I keep seeing is that nobody will be allowed on foreign holidays until everyone is vaccinated. Of course this is the tories so you never know but that’s the message. Boris said this week his advice is not to book ANY summer holidays (UK or abroad).

Indeed, also the whole idea of having a vaccine passport sounds very difficult and expensive to actually implement plus we would likely all have had our jab by the time they get round to rolling it out anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, AVFCDAN said:

If that is the case then what is there to discuss on 22nd Feb? You would assume nothing recreational opens up until the schools go back. I’m still thinking they go back on the 8th with a tier system coming into play from early April once they’ve had a few weeks to gauge what’s happening with schools being open.

We've got to factor in a few u-turns in there as well :) 

• Haha 1

Vaccine passports will be desperately unfair on people that have abided by the rules and now find themselves in detention through the ‘good’ weather whilst others are potentially living it up. it will be against a sense of fair play and show that all in it together was, yet again, a temporary illusion.

However, we’ve all seen the reaction on this board to any suggestion we don’t all try to fly to Ibiza this July.

So right now, the consensus is heading towards abandoning restraint and letting all sorts of everybody mix, overseas with unknown people from unknown areas, and hope that doesn’t turn out exactly the same as the last few times we did it and **** everything up.

Tough choices.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I heard it on the news on LBC this morning.

What specifically? Did she say they’d get the passport out in the short term (I.e. before the majority of the population were vaccinated) to allow holders of it foreign travel? 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

However, we’ve all seen the reaction on this board to any suggestion we don’t all try to fly to Ibiza this July.

I'm not sure that fair.

I'm against allowing some people to go, and not others based on something they can't control.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

What specifically? Did she say they’d get the passport out in the short term (I.e. before the majority of the population were vaccinated) to allow holders of it foreign travel? 

They didn't expand on it much. Generally that vaccinated people could potentially travel abroad but non-vaccinated can't.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Vaccine passports will be desperately unfair on people that have abided by the rules and now find themselves in detention through the ‘good’ weather whilst others are potentially living it up. it will be against a sense of fair play and show that all in it together was, yet again, a temporary illusion.

So right now, the consensus is heading towards abandoning restraint and letting all sorts of everybody mix, overseas with unknown people from unknown areas, and hope that doesn’t turn out exactly the same as the last few times we did it and **** everything up.

Tough choices.

From what I gather, the idea muted to get foreign travel up and running a person must either hold a vaccine passport or some combination of negative test result and/or quarantine period. 
No suggestion of just opening up travel without controls as far as I am aware.

In fact I’ve not seen anything to suggest travel of any kind is coming anytime soon so it’s a pretty moot point anyway. The message from the top is don’t expect to travel anywhere for several months.

Assuming the deaths keep reducing in a linear fashion (they seem to be) then we should be down to very few in the first week in March.

That all depends on if the reduction slows due to mutations spreading etc. But I can see the 8th March back to school being a bit of a lockdown reduction fanfare too.

image.png.22b94a093d89138cbbf8bc1d0ba2992d.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

As it happens I just bumped into a colleague whose missus is a teacher and she's already been told she's in the next round

Really? I've not heard anything about it. Hopefully that becomes common knowledge soon.

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Assuming the deaths keep reducing in a linear fashion (they seem to be) then we should be down to very few in the first week in March.

That all depends on if the reduction slows due to mutations spreading etc. But I can see the 8th March back to school being a bit of a lockdown reduction fanfare too.

image.png.22b94a093d89138cbbf8bc1d0ba2992d.png

The apocalypse supplies will really come in handy when we reach negative deaths!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Got to be honest I would have thought the last 12 months would have changed people's perception of fairness. 

Lots of things haven't been fair. Its not fair that NHS staff have had to deal with a pandemic, whilst being terribly underfunded. Its not fair that kids have lost huge amounts of time away from schools. Its not fair that people have lost family members who were fit and healthy and not meant to die from this. Its not fair that people have lost jobs and money and spiralled into depression. Lots of things aren't fair but this is what something like this causes. 

Some people might have more freedom than me as we continue to try and protect the vulnerable and the NHS. Yeah probably not fair but to me it still sounds like the right thing to do. 

People are selfish, I’ve learned that more than ever this past 12 months. 

14 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm not sure that fair.

I'm against allowing some people to go, and not others based on something they can't control.

They didn't expand on it much. Generally that vaccinated people could potentially travel abroad but non-vaccinated can't.

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

From what I gather, the idea muted to get foreign travel up and running a person must either hold a vaccine passport or some combination of negative test result and/or quarantine period. 
No suggestion of just opening up travel without controls as far as I am aware.

In fact I’ve not seen anything to suggest travel of any kind is coming anytime soon so it’s a pretty moot point anyway. The message from the top is don’t expect to travel anywhere for several months.

So, here we have statement 1, it’s unfair to only let ‘some’ travel, which suggests the other two options are ‘all’ or ‘none’. I’d have to agree with that.

Then we have statement 2, foreign travel for those with negative test results and a quarantine.

So we would either be opening up fully to uncontrolled mixing, or, only allowing travel to places populated only by vaccinated or tested people where all the staff are vaccinated and tested, with all other tourists from all other countries also being vaccinated and tested and quarantined. With good working enforcement.

That’s never going to happen.

So foreign travel is only possible for anyone, with the acceptance of the risk (however small) of it all unravelling for lockdown 4.

I’m not saying that would be right or wrong. You just can’t argue against it as a statement of fact. The saving grace here, is the projected reduction in deaths here, hopefully being mirrored overseas some time soon. Each reduction reducing the chances of some bastard mutation springing up and spreading that renders all the sacrifice for nothing. It’s a reducing risk. For me, my opinion, we will have waited 15 months, is it worth risking it instead of waiting 18 months?

rambling slightly as I’m on a conf call...

I can say with some certainty, that the negative impact of the lockdown has been far greater on my daughters and their spouses than on Mrs M and myself. On the other hand we've risked our lives by agreeing to look after their kids, so... 

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Really? I've not heard anything about it. Hopefully that becomes common knowledge soon.

I just hope it's true because to get back to a degree of normality quicker, we need to get the most at risk occupations vaccinated before any opening up happens

• Like 2

Again, I'm struggling to see the selfishness.

We are all human, we need social norms, we need normal lives back.

I would say protesting against the first, or even second lockdown displayed a degree of selfishness, but FFS guys, we're a year in. I don't think it's selfish to want even a glimmer of normality on the horizon after 12 months of lockdown. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Again, I'm struggling to see the selfishness.

We are all human, we need social norms, we need normal lives back.

I would say protesting against the first, or even second lockdown displayed a degree of selfishness, but FFS guys, we're a year in. I don't think it's selfish to want even a glimmer of normality on the horizon after 12 months of lockdown. 

I have to agree, it’s far too complex a situation to label someone as either selfish or not selfish depending on what side of the argument you fall on.

Â