Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

"arrested and charged in connection with communication offenses" apparently.

WTF

This is ridiculous. Are all the people who hurl racist abuse and death threats at footballers going to be arrested?

Did this guy put his home address in the tweet because I’m wondering how he was arrested so easily but for everyone else it’s a bit hard.

• Like 1

We’re lucky, we have an allotment, and they can count towards your state allocated exercise regime.

We’ve been back up there a couple of times lately, just to start planning for what needs doing as we nudge towards Spring. Every time we go up there, the same people are just sat in the doorway of their sheds. Chatting to the woman across from us, she’s been up there most days right through the winter, just to get a breather away from the hubby and kids for 30 minutes sanity, and a fag in peace n quiet.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm very much hoping that today is the last time in history that UK Coronavirus deaths of more than 1,000 in a single day are announced. 

Yes hopefully that is the case.

Cases have come down from around 60k a month ago to 12k today. If that 80% fall happens again over the next month then we'll be down to around 2.5k new daily cases come early - mid March. 

Hopefully by early April we could be down to less than 1k new daily cases and should then be in a position to open things up. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes hopefully that is the case.

Cases have come down from around 60k a month ago to 12k today. If that 80% fall happens again over the next month then we'll be down to around 2.5k new daily cases come early - mid March. 

Hopefully by early April we could be down to less than 1k new daily cases and should then be in a position to open things up. 

There’s an interesting paper on this here:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896v2.full.pdf

We consider the interaction between the UK vaccination programme and future relax- ation (or removal) of NPIs. Our predictions highlight the population-level risks of early relaxation leading to a pronounced wave of infection, hospital admissions and deaths. Only vaccines that offer high infection-blocking efficacy with high uptake in the general population allow relaxation of NPIs without a huge surge in deaths.

TL;DR 

Things will need to be lifted a lot more gradually and much later than otherwise expected. 

• Thanks 1

My dad has had his first vaccination, one of my mates whom has an underlying condition also had his first a week ago.

For the first time, it (the lockdown) has started to bug me. Not that I’m struggling, I don’t want to make out like I’m suffering any real hardship. But it’s finally started to grate a bit now.

Not quite sure what it is, the weather hasn’t helped. Home schooling is frankly impossible so that’s playing it’s part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My dad has had his first vaccination, one of my mates whom has an underlying condition also had his first a week ago.

For the first time, it (the lockdown) has started to bug me. Not that I’m struggling, I don’t want to make out like I’m suffering any real hardship. But it’s finally started to grate a bit now.

Not quite sure what it is, the weather hasn’t helped. Home schooling is frankly impossible so that’s playing it’s part.

I think we are all at that point now to be honest, it would be stranger if you weren’t affected by it in some way at this point. I was happy to give up Jan and Feb but the warning signs are there that it could be Summer before anything even resembles normal and that is hard to take to be honest. 

• Like 1

Getting a bit concerned due to the tightening of quarantine restrictions on entry to the UK about it being practical to come back any time soon even to get my vaccine. But having said that it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if they just dropped it all within a month.

• Like 1

Initially for me I want to see the schools open, my children both really need it. I could do without the constant distractions when trying to work too.

Next I’d like to see organised outdoor activities resume so my boy can commence football. He needs that for physical and mental health. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Same. I’m quite an insular person by nature so working from home at first has been ok. However the last month I’ve noticed I’ve become more and more fed up. I’ve even asked if I can go in just for one day just so I can see other human beings. 

really hope we can get some form of normal by the summer. I’ve stopped following all the covid news so hoping we get a good proportion of the country vaccinated by then. 

• Like 2

I’m at my lowest ebb for sure.

Finding it really hard to think of anything positive other than the fact that I’m still alive and I’m not even sure that’s particularly positive right now. 

Missus is the same and she’s usually quite chirpy, worrying times I think and with no real light at the end of the tunnel.

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

Same. I’m quite an insular person by nature so working from home at first has been ok. However the last month I’ve noticed I’ve become more and more fed up. I’ve even asked if I can go in just for one day just so I can see other human beings. 

really hope we can get some form of normal by the summer. I’ve stopped following all the covid news so hoping we get a good proportion of the country vaccinated by then. 

I'm similar I think.  I found it quite a novelty at first but now every day feels the same and I spend my day clock-watching just to then shut down the laptop and do basically nothing on the evening.  I'm lucky I think in the sense that I've got a fairly sociable team so we do have a lot of banter virtually through the Corporate chat rooms and we hold a weekly quiz disguised as our team meeting (without the cameras turned on as I know some people hate it, including myself).  I imagine it can be a super lonely experience for some though.  I've had to step in on a few occasions to have formal Occupational Heath referrals for some team members as they were just not coping and if we left them at home they just wouldn't be able to work, let alone manage their mental health.  Our site is pretty COVID-secure and we do have a very minimal presence on site.  I have had to fight hard to enable the handful of team members access just for a day a week and thankfully I'm not back to the days of them phoning me up every day crying. 

• Like 4

Yep, I must confess, it’s a very first world problem but I’m struggling to stay focused at the moment.

I’ve had a huge project that’s taken me through November, December and January and now it’s tapering off and I think I’m just knackered, but I can’t get the work done half as efficiently now as I was a few weeks ago or before Christmas.

On the one hand, I can see how we need to get back in the office, we’ve been on close to zero mentoring or education for the younger staff and checking others work hasn’t been as good as it should be. But equally, I just know that returning to commuting, losing the best part of 2 hours a day every day to sitting in a car, that’s going to finish me off. I had one day in the office back in the autumn, got stuck in a traffic jam and I just nose dived, i was ready to jack it all in.

It needs some new hybrid, but I think for many it’ll be reduced down to either keep working from home in isolation, or go back to working like its 2019.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm very much hoping that today is the last time in history that UK Coronavirus deaths of more than 1,000 in a single day are announced. 

Just seen a figure of 1001 announced for the past 24 hours :(

Edit - not that 999 deaths isn’t tragic enough, but just in relation to the above hope it’s a further kick in the teeth.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

The too early too soon statement is starting to annoy me if I’m honest. I think we all appreciate that at the moment we have to stay in lockdown but once the schools are back I don’t see any reason why most other things can’t start opening up. There isn’t going to be a perfect time to get back to normal and just sitting and waiting for it just doesn’t seem acceptable at this moment. We can’t give up another year to this virus, at some point people need to be able to assess the risk for themselves and get on with it. 

• Like 1

Â