Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This feels dangerously like it must have been near the end of WWII, when it was obvious that there was going to be an allied victory, it was just a matter of time, and a few more battles. People got complacent, thinking they'd made it. Or they got overly cautious, not wanting to get this far and then die. But of course, thousands did die, some of them in the final hours of the final day. And they will here. 

We saw our daughter (and granddaughter) today for the first time since she's recovered from covid, and it felt good. But I'll be much happier once we've had our jabs. 

I’m having more difficulty now, finding volunteers to go to site, than at any point in the last 10 months.

I’ve been out to site once in the last two weeks, the least travel I’ve done since the summer.

Nobody wants to be the guy that ‘got it’ six weeks before their vaccination.

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I’m having more difficulty now, finding volunteers to go to site, than at any point in the last 10 months.

I’ve been out to site once in the last two weeks, the least travel I’ve done since the summer.

Nobody wants to be the guy that ‘got it’ six weeks before their vaccination.

If you do get it you can’t have a vaccine for 4 weeks (as my Nan found out). 

37 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You do wonder if that dramatic fall is 100% due to the continuing lockdown or if some of the vaccines are starting to have an affect. 

We're about a month and a half after the really early ones and surely 3 weeks after a good million or two. 

We need to see the demographics of those still getting infected. Hopefully the category 1-4 people are rapidly declining in the stats.

I find it desperately sad that the people dying now are the ones who missed the vaccine by weeks. As of now, almost all of the people who would be at risk of death have been vaccinated.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I find it desperately sad that the people dying now are the ones who missed the vaccine by weeks. As of now, almost all of the people who would be at risk of death have been vaccinated.

Like isnt the right reaction, I agree entirely with this. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Interestingly enough those graphs are very similar to Sweden’s, despite no lockdown and very limited vaccines so far. 

There must also be an element of natural herd immunity that builds up where enough people have had it recently that the virus starts struggling to find fresh victims. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

I've been thinking for a while, there must get to a stage where it's infected most of the, shall we say, low hanging fruit, and then finds it more difficult to jump to the more careful people. 

There are X number of people who dick around, take little precautions and generally ignore it, then there are people who have no choice but to put themselves in harms way due to their job or other personal reasons. 

Then there are the other people who are generally making themselves difficult targets.   At some point it's rampage has to slow as it just can't really encounter the latter group unless they let their guard down. 

If the vaccines stop asymptomatic transmission then surely the full blown virus leaves enough antibodies to prevent it as well? 

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This feels dangerously like it must have been near the end of WWII, when it was obvious that there was going to be an allied victory

I don't know about WW2 but at the end of WW1 there were commanders ordering people into lunatic attacks in the hour before the cessation of hostilities in the full knowledge that the ceasefire was imminent. 

How could someone live with themselves doing that? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Yikes, my ex had her first jab today, had an anaphylactic reaction and is being kept in overnight. She has a history of anaphylactic reactions most notably with peanuts the risk isn't going to be there for people without that, but it's a bloody good job she had the vaccine at a hospital.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yikes, my ex had her first jab today, had an anaphylactic reaction and is being kept in overnight. She has a history of anaphylactic reactions most notably with peanuts the risk isn't going to be there for people without that, but it's a bloody good job she had the vaccine at a hospital.

That's probably why she did.  They know people with a history of anaphylactic shock are a risk. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blandy said:

The evidence hasn't changed. For the Oxford/AZ vaccine the original evidence has been backed up by further evidence, but it says the same thing. It's good and reassuring, but it's not different.

For the Pfizer vaccine, there's not yet any evidence on the 12 week (rather than recommended 3 week) gap between vaccines having consequences (either good or bad).

That's as I understand things, anyway.

clicky

One dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine gives people about 90% protection from Covid by 21 days, according to an analysis of Israel’s mass vaccination programme.

The data analysis, carried out by researchers from the University of East Anglia with UK government funding, runs counter to an earlier study from Israel which suggested that one dose may not give adequate protection.

Still to be peer reviewed (paper is in pre-print) but UK researchers seem to be more right than wrong over these decisions. 

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

clicky

People in the UK have now had the Pfizer jab for nearly 8 weeks now. 

Surely they are testing some of these peoples, checking what antibodies they are showing after 8 weeks.  Surely we should have some decent enough information from our own project now?

5 hours ago, Awol said:

clicky

That doesn't tell us anything about 12 weeks. We already knew the 3 weeks was good. That was confirmed by the original clinical trials. The Israeli field evidence tells us exactly the same thing.

Â