Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

The too early too soon statement is starting to annoy me if I’m honest. I think we all appreciate that at the moment we have to stay in lockdown but once the schools are back I don’t see any reason why most other things can’t start opening up. There isn’t going to be a perfect time to get back to normal and just sitting and waiting for it just doesn’t seem acceptable at this moment. We can’t give up another year to this virus, at some point people need to be able to assess the risk for themselves and get on with it. 

I think that's the problem therein.  Opening schools could potentially bring the virus into your homes from your children without you realising.  You then go about your daily life unwittingly infecting others who then in turn infect others.  Those others could be people's loved ones who aren't the lucky ones and fall seriously ill.  It isn't about assessing the risk for "yourself" it is about assessing the risk on you passing on the virus to others.  I happen to agree with the cautious approach of opening up - let's see if there is a spike in infections once schools start to open again and take things one step at a time.  

5 minutes ago, trekka said:

I think that's the problem therein.  Opening schools could potentially bring the virus into your homes from your children without you realising.  You then go about your daily life unwittingly infecting others who then in turn infect others.  Those others could be people's loved ones who aren't the lucky ones and fall seriously ill.  It isn't about assessing the risk for "yourself" it is about assessing the risk on you passing on the virus to others.  I happen to agree with the cautious approach of opening up - let's see if there is a spike in infections once schools start to open again and take things one step at a time.  

So if we accept that pretty much all the vulnerable will have had their first dose by the end of March why should we still be locked down at that point?

Who exactly are we protecting at that point?

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

So if we accept that pretty much all the vulnerable will have had their first dose by the end of March why should we still be locked down at that point?

Because it isn't just the vulnerable dying and by opening up we are only increasing the chance of further variants forming that beat the vaccines.  We need to get the cases way down to reduce the risk of that.  

Edited by trekka
Changed "stop" to "reduce"
  • Like 4

I'm another in the boat of this now all getting a bit much having coped quite well so far. 

I think the initial lockdown was a bit of a novelty with the hope, false as it turned out, that give it a few months and things would be back to normal. Although that didn't prove to be the case there was a 2-3 month period from July where we at least had some normality and hospitality was open etc and we could take holidays.  We then had lockdown to varying degrees from end of October onwards initially depending what tier you were in. Christmas was then at least on the horizon though which was something to look forward to.

Since the start of the year though I have struggled. Dark when I start work, dark when I finish due to the short days, one day rolling into another, nothing to look forward to at the end of the week and no end in sight to lockdown despite the initial hope that vaccines would get us out of it by spring.  Constantly being told not to book holidays etc.

I think it is the lack of positivity that is getting to me as I really expected that once the vaccine had been rolled out to the most vulnerable the end of lockdown would be in sight. The mood music from the government, and those who advise them, suggests that isn't the case though. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, blandy said:

But there is light at the end of the tunnel, there really is. The evenings are getting lighter, and while it's still cold, it's fresh quite often - clear days, like today (here at least).

Really, I can recommend going for a walk or something in the daytime - maybe dinner time, and actually look for signs of spring - snowdrops, or buds beginning to form on trees and bushes, birds starting to look for nesting sites. The fungus vaccine is getting jagged out to people, the Villa are a decent side again, England are really good at cricket. There's music.

Or set your self a really simple tasks for tomorrow - go on, your task is to make your missus laugh - do something stupid, make her laugh and you'll laugh and it'll be good.

Thoughts.

Ah you’re a good egg man 😀.

And everything you say is absolutely right, thankfully even in these times I can still make the missus laugh so I guess that’s one I can tick off (I was always the ‘class clown’ afterall).

I absolutely do need to begin having a walk in the afternoons so I’ll get on to that too, I have a dog but the missus tends to take him as she has her own business whereas I’m employed, so it’s a bit easier for her to fit it in but i need to adjust my day I think.

Just having a bit of a dip in morale at the moment I think but thanks for the response, genuinely.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just seen a figure of 1001 announced for the past 24 hours :(

Edit - not that 999 deaths isn’t tragic enough, but just in relation to the above hope it’s a further kick in the teeth.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. 

Hopefully today is that day then. 

I am suprised it was so high after yesterday being a catch up day. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

On the one hand, I can see how we need to get back in the office, we’ve been on close to zero mentoring or education for the younger staff and checking others work hasn’t been as good as it should be.

This is one of the reasons why I think companies who go all out working from home will eventually suffer. 

That and a disconnect between employees and the company and their colleagues. 

• Like 1

Work wise  I’m struggling a bit, I mentioned before I had to change roles as some projects I was working on were “paused”. I got out quick before the pause became “cancelled”.

The problem is I’m in something I didn’t really want to do and there’s a huge amount to learn (which I’m not particularly motivated to do). If I was in the office I’d have to throw myself into it a bit more.

It’s also hard to really get stuck into it when constantly being bothered to help the children with their school work.

I am a bit fed up of it all now. There’s parts of it I love though. The family time, extra sleep, less driving, less fuel costs but having all 4 of us in the house together 24/7 is getting a bit tiresome.

Work is a weird one as I have worked from home for ten years. The thing that is different is everyone else is at home all the time so work time doesn’t seem to really stop, I seem to have team messages or emails at anytime day or night. 

the other annoying thing is I hurt my back in September and for someone who has been running or cycling most days to basically barely leaving the house it is certainly not a positive change in lifestyle, so my 3 hour podcast escapes have disappeared and it’s weird as it was easier to justify running for training but not to just go walk on my own.

At least Villa are on tv all the time and I built a full size arcade for the kids (yeah right)

• Like 1

I can only echo the feelings of many others in that i'm finding lockdown 3 quite tough. I think its just because there seems to be no defined end in sight. 

Don't get me wrong, i'm working, i'm getting a bonus in March (not sure on figure but told pretty decent) and all my family and friends are ok. Its just being in my own company all the time. I'm a bit of a loner anyway but I do miss meeting up with mates for a beer after work or a coffee at lunchtime. I had an engineer to come and service my boiler today and it was just nice to have someone to talk to! He was a Villa fan, and who knows, he may be reading this *waves*

I've also got the spectre of this cladding scandal in the background. You've probably seen the increased news reports in recent weeks but some leaseholders are ending up with £50k bills (per flat) to remove dangerous cladding and beef up the safety aspects of their homes (putting fire breaks in, better fire alarms etc). Our building hasn't been assessed yet as its under 18m and doesn't seem to have any visible unsafe cladding but who knows what will happen once they perform an intrusive survey? Millions of leaseholders can't remortgage or sell their property at the minute. Even todays funding announcement is nothing more than a half hearted gesture. 

I'm meant to be in London for my birthday watching England play Scotland in Euro 21 but can't see that being open to fans can you? There is just nothing to look forward to and its starting to wear me down. I've booked Friday off work. No reason, just means I have no need to get up. 

• Like 3

I suspect the time of year has made this lockdown harder. The first lockdown compressed with spring and a decent Erin of nice weather. This one has coincided with some of the most miserable parts of the year.

I haven't really found this lockdown markedly different to the others personally. I live alone and whilst it would be nice to occasionally see someone I'm fairly comfortable being on my own.

I do sometimes wonder if there's something wrong with me.

• Like 1

Â