The Royal Family

Genie

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

They have a netflix deal and thats their source of income. They were hounded out of the country by the press and people on the internet being offended by them, sorry, her. He sure as shit isn’t going to get a job at Starbucks so instead are doing stuff for Netflix. The Oprah interview allows them to get their story out after being absolutely ripped apart by the British press and TV. 
I **** hate sticking up for any royal but **** sake people should stop lapping up the narrative fed from the palace. Its a drip feed to undermine a woman and nothing more. 

Agreed. What did people expect him to do? He needs to get money in (The money from Netflix went towards security I think he said) - at the end of the day he's still Harry, Prince of the Realm, title or not. He's got star power and would be a fool to not use it to earn an income now he's been cut off.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Apparently not. There's a huge omission in this list

And the rift with William began around the time of the pregnancy didn't it? My money would be on William being a bit of a racist. Not all that surprising that people who've been brought up to literally think they're better than others due to their birth and bloodlines turn out to not be particularly progressive when it comes to race though is it.

It'd hardly be news if it was old Phil tbh, it probably wouldn't be the most offensive thing he'd said on a given day :D 

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And the rift with William began around the time of the pregnancy didn't it?

Yep. May or may not be a coincidence. Similar to the coincidence in not making the list.

Which is a shame because I'm convinced he's an active user on here along with Tom Hanks.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the idea that this is meghan vs the queen, its not team meghan vs team UK media, or team megham vs the institution

its meghan vs the one that they know she isnt more popular than

It's particularly odd in that she was full of praise for the Queen who she describes as the kindest to her and the one who is closest to them both. 

Can we blame Edward? I haven't seen him for a while and I didn't like him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that Netflix deal. 

Well forgive the cynicism but that interview, whilst it might have been given for free is going to boost their Netflix viewing figures astranomically I would think.  Call it a loss leader.  I'm starting to get more and more cynical about this whole sorry affair now. 

No such thing as bad publicity as they say. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Could call it “promo” too.

As I said, I’m not sure what their motive was for talking to Oprah.

I'm not sure how the Oprah interview boosts anything. The Netflix deal and its subsequent programming would have been pretty off the scale anyway, it's not like they were complete unknowns beforehand. if you were going to do a promo to boost viewing figures you'd do it closer to the launch of said product. Said product hasn't been announced yet let alone go into production

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm not sure how the Oprah interview boosts anything. The Netflix deal and its subsequent programming would have been pretty off the scale anyway, it's not like they were complete unknowns beforehand. if you were going to do a promo to boost viewing figures you'd do it closer to the launch of said product. Said product hasn't been announced yet let alone go into production

Elton John is pretty well known but he still promotes his new albums and tours.

If promotion is their motivation for the interview then it’s probably aimed at Spotify and their podcasts which I understand have already started. I would be completely oblivious to the the fact they were doing podcasts if it wasn’t for this (I still have no intention of listening to it).

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Elton John is pretty well known but he still promotes his new albums and tours...

it’s probably aimed at Spotify and their podcasts

Before he's actually sat down and recorded them?

I'm pretty sure spotify podcasts won't be keeping them in the manner to which they've become accostomed

Just now, bickster said:

Before he's actually sat down and recorded them?

Maybe, tickets were going on sale over a year ahead of the shows weren’t they? The point was just because you’re famous doesn't mean you don’t do promo.

(I did also say it was probably aimed at Spotify, if promotion was their main motivation).

On one hand you could hold the line that the senior royals are racists with Victorian ideals.

On the other hand, it could have been one of those family conversations that everyone has - I'm very pale and my wife is tanned, we had an open discussion about how dark skinned our kid would be. We also talked about eye colour, height, and other "genetic" predictions. Unless spoken of in a derogatory way, nothing much wrong with that, unless Meghan took offence and held it inside - maybe she hated it so much at that point she saw everything in a negative light.

But the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, between a history of royal disregard for any warmth and humanity, and boosting the Hollywood status of the most famous couple in the world.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Looks like they’re getting $130m from Netflix and $55m from Spotify. Nice.

Netflix i understand, especially with Meghan's background of TV.

But $55 million to do what on Spotify??

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But $55 million to do what on Spotify??

thats about $54.9 million more than anyone else has ever earned from that platform

And for podcasts, which that platform is particularly shit at and generally annoy the living hell out of its userbase

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

thats about $54.9 million more than anyone else has ever earned from that platform

They are paying Joe Rogan $100m to do podcasts too.

Its crazy to think that some people think sports people get paid too much... this guy earning $100m from an armchair.

Â