The Royal Family

Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

They are paying Joe Rogan $100m to do podcasts too.

Its crazy to think that some people think sports people get paid too much... this guy earning $100m from an armchair.

I suspect these may be headline figures a bit like football contracts, when all the clauses and bonuses are added up

|If they can afford to spunk $160mil on these two and Rogan, then they can afford to pay the people that actually generate their customer base a more reasonable fee (you know actually talented people, musicians)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

On one hand you could hold the line that the senior royals are racists with Victorian ideals.

On the other hand, it could have been one of those family conversations that everyone has - I'm very pale and my wife is tanned, we had an open discussion about how dark skinned our kid would be. We also talked about eye colour, height, and other "genetic" predictions. Unless spoken of in a derogatory way, nothing much wrong with that, unless Meghan took offence and held it inside - maybe she hated it so much at that point she saw everything in a negative light.

But the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, between a history of royal disregard for any warmth and humanity, and boosting the Hollywood status of the most famous couple in the world.

OK, but does your wife being 'very tanned' have anything to do with ethnicity?

And (if it is to do with ethnicity) it's all very well you and your wife having that conversation, but do you think it would be the same if an extended family member came up to you and questioned it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Which is a shame because I'm convinced he's an active user on here along with Tom Hanks.

I'd better stop calling him a racist, inbred toff bastard with plums in his mouth before I get done for post on poster then ;) 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

And (if it is to do with ethnicity) it's all very well you and your wife having that conversation, but do you think it would be the same if an extended family member came up to you and questioned it?

Agreed. I think there’s a difference between an expectant couple discussing it and, what is alleged in this instance, other family members expressing “concerns”. 

I’d actually be more willing to consider it as “clumsy” racism rather than something more malicious IF it had been brought up in conversation with Meghan directly in a “I wonder what the baby will look like” kinda way. The story appears to be it was brought up with Harry behind her back, like they knew how it would be perceived if she had heard it.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

47 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You are 100% - but I feel like we need further context to understand if it was a racist remark or, as I suggested, something of a less evil nature. Hence I am interested in how the palace will reply, and interested in watching the whole interview in order to make an informed opinion.

As I mentioned, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

And as for the extended member of the family that is exactly the conversation environment that I meant - parents, uncles, cousins. No one questioned the skin colour - it was a discussion of ''I wonder what he is going to look like'' with regards to specific genetical predispositions, such as skin colour. And I guess each family of mixed heritage is having those conversations. 

The question lies in the intent. 

Edited by Mic09

53 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You are 100% - but I feel like we need further context to understand if it was a racist remark or, as I suggested, something of a less evil nature. Hence I am interested in how the palace will reply, and interested in watching the whole interview in order to make an informed opinion.

As I mentioned, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. 

And as for the extended member of the family that is exactly the conversation environment that I meant - parents, uncles, cousins. No one questioned the skin colour - it was a discussion of ''I wonder what he is going to look like'' with regards to specific genetical predispositions, such as skin colour. And I guess each family of mixed heritage is having those conversations. 

The question lies in the intent. 

Why do you say no one questioned their skin colour? I thought in the interview they just said "concerns were raised".

Wondering what they will look like on it's own doesn't have connotations either negative or positive, you're right it's all about intent. I infer from what they've said they must have believed negative intent, presumably from the context of their lives in and around the family as a couple and from how it was said.

I could be married to a pregnant East Asian woman (spoiler: I'm not) and have a family member say "I wonder if the baby will have her eyes". Depending on tone and emphasis it could range from an innocent question to something a lot more malicious.

The point being literally none of us have the all important context you mention, but Harry and Meghan do. Do I believe between them they could judge the tone and intent of something that was said to them? Yes, I do. As could pretty much any adult in the world...even dogs can tell from a person's tone whether they're being positive or negative!

So then it comes down to whether or not I believe they are likely to have made it up for added drama and I don't

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

And the rift with William began around the time of the pregnancy didn't it? My money would be on William being a bit of a racist

Seriously? 

prince-william-celebrates-aston-villa-win-z.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

Yep. May or may not be a coincidence. Similar to the coincidence in not making the list.

Which is a shame because I'm convinced he's an active user on here along with Tom Hanks.

@Rugeley Villa seems to have disappeared again pretty pronto. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdcdA5nHvGfT2l2YQpjN4

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

Any particular reason for this conviction, or just a guess? William I think is perhaps marginally more likely than Hanks (who I don't think is seriously interested at all). 

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Any particular reason for this conviction, or just a guess? William I think is perhaps marginally more likely than Hanks (who I don't think is seriously interested at all). 

Law of averages and the fact that wealthy people have more free time to get bored and look at football sites. Plus he seems a *big* fan so would definitely be looking for opinions, reactions etc.

Or he might might feel that dropping a palace IP into the access logs might be a bit too risky.

I was joking about Hanks. I'm sure he's just as much of an Aston Hamilla fan as Cameron.

Why do the interview? They have a SoCal seaside mansion and tens of millions of dollars, if not more. All this achieves is increased media frenzy and scrutiny.

Â