The Royal Family

Genie

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Honestly, I think so.

I'm certainly not claiming anyone with an axe to grind against a specific black person must be a racist, obviously not, but there seems to be a lot of overlap between the types of newspapers that constantly lay into Meghan, while flattering Kate. I'm sure someone posted a direct comparison between very similar coverage of Kate/Meghan with polar opposite editorial lines.

I'll admit I've not got detailed analysis on it, but from a casual observation, they also seem to be the same papers that always seem to have a grudge against Marcus Rashford too.

It might be worth pointing out that if Markle's father wasn't white, she gets nowhere near Harry's life. Her whiteness got her access, her blackness got her exiled.

They're more interesting than the lives of those who finished 6th on love Island, I don't really get the whole celebrities who don't actually do anything culture, he's in the news, what's he do? He talks over call of duty on YouTube...not having it, so I understand why they're popular and can tell you they're really popular here in Germany, either meghan or Kate will have their face splashed on the front page of >30% of the celebrity magazines every week

"they don't want press invasion of their privacy but they'll do an interview with Oprah" there's a huge difference, our media are words removed, not just those trying their hardest to be blatantly racist and get away with it but the scumbags who hide in the bushes outside their house with cameras, go through the bins, that kind of weird stuff that no one needs, they want control over the media in their lives which I think is fair, I honestly don't blame them for leaving and have a degree of sympathy for them

I like William and Harry, seem like good stock, the rest of them I couldn't care less about

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't care what anybody says. He's Hewitt's son, not Charles's, and he's known it for years. That's what's behind all this, why he married someone who was the very antithesis of 'suitable' and why he's finally walking away from them. 

Oooh, I like this theory.

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They're more interesting than the lives of those who finished 6th on love Island, I don't really get the whole celebrities who don't actually do anything culture, he's in the news, what's he do? He talks over call of duty on YouTube...not having it, so I understand why they're popular and can tell you they're really popular here in Germany, either meghan or Kate will have their face splashed on the front page of >30% of the celebrity magazines every week

"they don't want press invasion of their privacy but they'll do an interview with Oprah" there's a huge difference, our media are words removed, not just those trying their hardest to be blatantly racist and get away with it but the scumbags who hide in the bushes outside their house with cameras, go through the bins, that kind of weird stuff that no one needs, they want control over the media in their lives which I think is fair, I honestly don't blame them for leaving and have a degree of sympathy for them

I like William and Harry, seem like good stock, the rest of them I couldn't care less about

Being more interesting than the guy that finished 6th on love island is insufficient reason for the cult to persist.

• Like 1

The thing is @villa4europe, the people who go on “love island”, I don’t much care for them, but then they don’t cost the country anything and we’re also not expected to revere them in anyway.

Like you, I suspect that if I met Will or Harry, Kate, Meghan, I’d probably get on with them enough to hold a pleasant, polite conversation. I don’t dislike the Windsors themselves (well, most of them). I just think they’re irrelevant and the fawning over them is at best puzzling, but mostly it’s embarrassing and kinda sickening really when you consider how some people are living but it’s apparently so important this family are surrounded by opulence because their ancestors were on the right/lucky side of history.

Edit - just to add that my little inequality rant there at the end wasn’t directed at your comment @villa4europe, I know you weren’t suggesting anything to the contrary in your post. It was more a general view.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

i think its a case of who offends you the least and they're way down my list compared to reality TV stars, youtubers, general "celebrities", professional rent a gobs, the vast majority of politicians and now increasingly the insanely rich

i agree they're irrelevant but i also find them incredibly easy to forget about, my wife will watch the oprah and netflix things, she'll have an interest in the baby's name, i will prick up my ears when someone is finally brave enough to investigate the nonce, but other than that they dont have any other interest or influence, they just kind of exist

as for "we pay for them" we pay for a whole lot worse...clean out Westminster before you go after Liz

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think its a case of who offends you the least and they're way down my list compared to reality TV stars, youtubers, general "celebrities", professional rent a gobs, the vast majority of politicians and now increasingly the insanely rich

i agree they're irrelevant but i also find them incredibly easy to forget about, my wife will watch the oprah and netflix things, she'll have an interest in the baby's name, i will prick up my ears when someone is finally brave enough to investigate the nonce, but other than that they dont have any other interest or influence, they just kind of exist

as for "we pay for them" we pay for a whole lot worse...clean out Westminster before you go after Liz

The royal family being lower on your list than the ‘insanely rich’ suggests quite a high threshold for ‘insanely rich’.

One of them owns Cornwall. 

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

Double raspberry ones?

21 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep.

He says that now but once he's in charge it will be mini milks, you know it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel empathetic for any emotional distress caused, regardless of if someone is rich, famous or whatever. Different people have different problems.

But somehow I feel like Megan acts surprised that she would be restricted in her new life when marrying into royalty? I mean, what did she expect?

And if she is in fact "surprised", what sort of a partner is Harry for not telling her how bad it's gonna be?

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The royal family being lower on your list than the ‘insanely rich’ suggests quite a high threshold for ‘insanely rich’.

One of them owns Cornwall. 

Don't get me wrong im not suggesting they're poor and feeling sorry for them but the family isn't in a position to put every child in the commonwealth in to a school, or solve hunger or homelessness, they don't have that much cash, they have palaces and land and shiny things but they don't have billions in the bank 

Bezos can, he earns more than the royal family's net worth in 3 days

35 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't get me wrong im not suggesting they're poor and feeling sorry for them but the family isn't in a position to put every child in the commonwealth in to a school, or solve hunger or homelessness, they don't have that much cash, they have palaces and land and shiny things but they don't have billions in the bank 

Bezos can, he earns more than the royal family's net worth in 3 days

I can chose whether or not to buy anything connected to Bezos.

Under the current system, we can change the law or the tax codes tomorrow and Bezos is history.

There could be a new widget by the next bright kid, and the Bezos world is history.

The royal family are above and exempt from all that, they are here, over us, by accident of birth, for the next thousand years unless we decide to grow up and fix such a stupid system.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I don't care what anybody says. He's Hewitt's son, not Charles's, and he's known it for years. That's what's behind all this, why he married someone who was the very antithesis of 'suitable' and why he's finally walking away from them. 

Diane didn’t even meet Hewitt until after Harry was born .

Â