Pre-match thread

wedge

Oh my, the day before we play the current champions and we have less than 2 pages of posts and non in 15 hours.  People must have their head in the sand over this one. 

We just held Leicester who are above Citeh in the table in a massively important match in their own backyard. 

No reason we can't get something at home.  We have looked so strong defensively with the new system, Vardy is an OK striker even by Citeh standards and we kept him out. 

It's a dangerous game for sure but we need more belief. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

This game might just be repeated at Wembley in March. Home games don't get much tougher than this one and anything other than a defeat would be wonderful on Sunday. A win for either Bournemouth or Watford, would see us back in the bottom three by kick-off. Here's hoping they draw then! 

We drew our last league game at Villa Park with our visitors in 2015. We didn't take too many points that season and we did beat them in 2013. Recent history therefore suggests there may be some grounds for hope, although in reality that hope does seem rather slender. Overall, we have won 52 and have drawn 39 of the 155 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

Manchester City's players just might approach this game, as one they just need to turn up to, in order to win. Is it a free hit for us? We need to aim to get something from every game in our present situation, however unlikely that might seem. There are more winnable games against other relegation candidates around the corner, but come on Villa...let's shock and amaze on Sunday!  

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Still fear this fixture more than Liverpool tbh, City for me are still the best team on paper. Thought we did well at the Etihad despite the 3-0 scoreline. We must do the same tomorrow and keep it tight, if we can get to HT at 0-0 we have a chance. Hopefully we can score first as it will make the game interesting and less nerve racking. I can handle a defeat here but if so I hope it’s respectable as a stuffing could dent confidence going into some really important league games. Important we take minimum 4 points from the next 2 after this.

He’ll obv stick with 3 at the back but I’d like to see Engels come in for Hause, surprised he got dropped. Targett if fit needs to replace Taylor who’s very bad. Other than that the same team as against Leicester. He might want to try Drinkwater over Nakamba but doubt he’s fit enough.

UTV

22 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

make sure Jack doesn't get injured , keep the defeat to single figures to boost morale  , and then make sure we beat Brighton and Watford  ...

Hmm. 0-9 would meet that criterion and I don’t think that would be too great for morale.

Man City for me on their day are the best team in the league.  Yes Liverpool look to be winning the league but that’s more about them being so clinical rather than playing the best football. 

We basically do a complete repeat of Wednesday and hope for a lot of luck. A respectable result and performance will be good for moral. 

• Like 1

The only question in terms of selection is in midfield. Does Drinkwater come straight in? I think Marvelous is most likely to drop out. 

So I think DS will go with this

Nyland

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert Drinkwater Luiz Targett

Trez ElGhazi Grealish 

I’m usually quite optimistic about our chances when we are coming off good performances/results such as Burnley and Leicester but this match..

Although, Man City’s motivation may be stunted with the league pretty much gone for them. We’ll need to be outstanding and they will need an off day but these things can happen and it’s about time we got an unexpected result against a good team.

I think Drinkwater starts for Nakamba. Other than that same side that faced Leicester.

Edited by Elton

34 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Even if we played reina and nyland in goal at the same time we are going to get a pasting

Mate we won't get away with it, even if one of them cunningly wore an outfield shirt instead of a bright green one, sooner or later the ref would probably notice and say to that keeper 'Hey you! What's your game?!'. And we could get in trouble for breaking the rules ! 🙄

Play with the same formation and philosophy as on Wednesday we have a chance.

Maybe now the league is gone for them it might make it easier for us? 

Getting something from this would be massive and we are definitely due a result.

Up the Villa!

• Like 1