Pre-match thread

wedge

They don't get any easier do they? Hopefully we can go into it with some more belief in our new system and as no-one including ourselves will be expecting anything other than a loss we might put up a bit of a fight.

On the basis we have no more new additions to the squad that would be eligible for Sunday:

Nyland

Konsa  Mings  Hause

Guilbert                                            Targett/Taylor

Drinkwater/Luiz Nakamba 

Trezeguet                     Grealish

El Ghazi

With Trez, Jack and AEG switching as they did at Leicester.

When are Engels, Davis and Targett going to be back?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Let’s pull off a shock. We are capable of getting a result. 

I'm dreaming of a repeat of the 3-2 with Weimann scoring that iconic winner in front of the Holte from Guzan's kick.

Unfortunately though I think the gap in quality between us and them is even greater now, as long as we don't completely roll over and come out of it with no suspensions or injuries I won't be too down.

• Like 3

Relegation threatened sides usually pull off some sort of result against an established top 6 side at some point in the season, or at least, that's what it seems to me. You could argue that our best chance was at home to Liverpool, which was on target until the last ten minutes of the game. So maybe we've already had our chance... Will cheer the boys on, but sense a dead rubber to be fair. Even more so with the tattered squad we have right now.

Edited by Raver50032

I think the one certainty is that we will be keeping the same formation for this one and rightly so, perhaps for the remainder of the season too.

Having said that our back 3 might not have a clue whom to mark if Pep chooses to play with no striker ;) 

Not sure what the injury update is on the likes of Targett, Kodjia and Davis along with the match fitness of Drinkwater but I trust Smith will pick the team that he feels will give us the best possible chance of a result.

Hopefully give a good account of ourselves and pick up no more injuries - anything else is a bonus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

Relegation threatened sides usually pull off some sort of result against an established top 6 side at some point in the season, or at least, that's what it seems to me. You could argue that our best chance was at home to Liverpool, which was on target until the last ten minutes of the game. So maybe we've already had our chance... Will cheer the boys on, but sense a dead rubber to be fair. Even more so with the tattered squad we have right now.

I'm confident we'll get something v Spurs, poor away and losing loads of first choices players to injury or loss of form.

Think we'll do o.k for an hour and then fall away in this one, 1-3.

• Like 1

Like last night the longer the game goes on without conceding we have a chance of getting something from the game. We’ll have to park the bus and hit on the break and every single player has to be switched on for 90 minutes. Need a bit of a luck, some top saves and who knows.  Either way it’s a free hit really. Brighton away is the big one. 

If they score first though I think it’s over. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wedge said:

They don't get any easier do they? Hopefully we can go into it with some more belief in our new system and as no-one including ourselves will be expecting anything other than a loss we might put up a bit of a fight.

On the basis we have no more new additions to the squad that would be eligible for Sunday:

Nyland

Konsa  Mings  Hause

Guilbert                                            Targett/Taylor

Drinkwater/Luiz Nakamba 

Trezeguet                     Grealish

El Ghazi

With Trez, Jack and AEG switching as they did at Leicester.

When are Engels, Davis and Targett going to be back?

• Haha 1

Lawro's also predicting 0-3. I think I can just about handle that as losing by three goals is only a mini-thrashing, as opposed to "a damn good thrashing" (a Basil Fawlty), which is defeat by more than three goals. It would be frustrating though considering they've already beaten us 3-0 this season, in the reverse fixture. :s 

I just hope that Charlie Nicholas isn't very good with predictions, he's gone for 0-5. Good grief. : (

Edited by robby b

Really hope Keinan at least might be available for this. Could be the wildcard that troubles that City backline. Would suit the system and hold up the ball which will suit Jack and AEG who can all interchange together up top. Hopefully Targett isnt too far away either- another who will hugely benefit playing in this system. His delivery to KD could actually work out well for us.

ideally for me would like this:

Nyland

Konsa - Mings - Hause

Guilbert                                      Targett

Drinkwater - Luiz

Grealish            El Ghazi

Davis

• Like 1

When you’re playing Man C you’re allowed a bit of fantasy aren’t you?

So Drinkwater comes straight into the side, immediately regains his PL champions form, galvanises the midfield, we overrun them and win 3-0.

Please let this happen.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

0-3 if we’re lucky. Theyve clicked again recently after some indifferent form.

Shame this comes straight after a good away win and a good away draw against 2nd in the league. 

Unfortunately I have to agree case of damage limitation this one, bring Drunkwater in for Luiz and definitely play a back 3, rather see Guilbert left and Elmo right if Targett is still injured, Taylor should be cleaning the gym back in BMH!

We're very likely to end the weekend in the relegation zone.

I think I'd probably take a 2-0 loss if you offered it me which is a sad state of affairs.

They've recently played with no striker and about 4 players in the gap we leave between the back three and two man midfield. If we don't close that gap they'll score about 6.

352 is better for us than 343 because we can get Grealish into the middle of the game. Probably can't do it yet with no strikers but it's where we should be heading.