Tom13

Thought I'd check out a Stockport forum after the latest game, see what the chat is about him.  From an overall game review:

"Barry, i actually thought had a quiet game by the standards he has set, one brilliant dribble past 3-4 men 1st half, but his 1st touch was a bit off today and things didnt really come off for him, tucked his pen away nicely though and is best player weve had in a long, long time"

And then some responses to an interesting question:

"Hypothetically speaking if we were to lose Barry in January who do we think is out there that we could go after to replace him?"
"Think you’d do well to replace him, genuinely. Don’t find many like him."
"Tough to get anyone as good we wanted Paul Smyth <blah blah>..."
"We'd struggle to replace him, but tbh I can't see him going back in Jan. Villa are flying at the moment - why would they need to recall a youngster from a L2 loan? I think the January rumours are all coming from a shit-stirring tweet from one of those Twitter accounts that does it for the hits."
-> "They aren’t going to recall him to play him.  They’ll recall him to send him out somewhere higher for cash in on him.  Of course nothing has been decided yet but logically it’s more likely to happen than not."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, STEVE1883 said:

He got player of the match tonight although personally I would have given it to a number of other players before him.  He was electric first half taking players on but still needs to work on that final ball. He's some player but some way off the finished article.  We absolutely love him though and obviously want him to stay for the rest of the season.  I actually think it would be a big mistake to send him out to a higher division as he's getting better and better where he is.  We moved joint 2nd tonight and we should be on course for a good season and it will be a great experience for him.

https://x.com/StockportCounty/status/1709324738277814307?s=20

Yeah he seems to be thriving with you lot. I hope he stays too. Good for the lad and good for you. Good luck for the rest of the season!

He's playing regularly, scoring regularly and seemingly enjoying it all.

Recalling and sending elsewhere would be pointless; especially if he gains experience of dealing with pressures of promotion etc.

I think he should stay at Stockport for the season and aim for 20-25 goals in the season as a reasonable target. He has only just turned 20 years old, so he still has time on his side. He needs to play and score regularly and build his confidence and strength this season, then maybe look at a Championship loan next season if all goes well.

Â