Tom13

Has he really been out this long?

Stockport got a very good chance of going up automatically and they have plenty of money behind them so selling him for 2-3m with a good sell on clause is the way to go here.

Think Louie's situation is similar to O'Hare 4-5 years ago and we let him go to Coventry and he'd probably already be playing in the premier league but for the ACL injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Nine goals in his first fifteen games this season in League Two was some going, very rare for a young attacker to make that kind of impact at League Two level, I don't know if this is accurate but I saw it said that the last player under twenty-one to score more than fifteen goals in a League Two season was Ollie Watkins, Barry was well on course to beat that. Strikers are also notoriously late developers, see Watkins, Kane, Toney, Wilson, and so on, not saying Barry is going to be as good as those players, but I wouldn't be so hasty in writting him off, if he'd have stayed fit this season and continued to do well I think good chance he'd have got a Championship loan next season and would be playing at that level at the same age Rogers was at the start of this season

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Nine goals in his first fifteen games this season in League Two was some going, very rare for a young attacker to make that kind of impact at League Two level, I don't know if this is accurate but I saw it said that the last player under twenty-one to score more than fifteen goals in a League Two season was Ollie Watkins, Barry was well on course to beat that. Strikers are also notoriously late developers, see Watkins, Kane, Toney, Wilson, and so on, not saying Barry is going to be as good as those players, but I wouldn't be so hasty in writting him off, if he'd have stayed fit this season and continued to do well I think good chance he'd have got a Championship loan next season and would be playing at that level at the same age Rogers was at the start of this season

Harry Kane got 21 goals in his first full season in the Premier league, aged 21. Other than that, fair point!

Kane is still considered a late developer, and by his own admission, his breakout season with Spurs was at the age of 22, young players often written off well before then

32 minutes ago, Risso said:

Harry Kane got 21 goals in his first full season in the Premier league, aged 21. Other than that, fair point!

Kane is generational talents, Barry might not be that good, but not many will.

Wonder if they'll take him back on loan in league 1 next season? I've no doubt he's good enough to do well at that level but they haven't exactly struggled without him the last 6 months.

I think no doubt they would take him back, I'd be surprised if they haven't already asked, but there will be competition for his signature from other League One clubs and possibly Championship. Would be great if Rico could get another move there next season, no idea if he's done enough to earn that, but would be some progression for him from where he was at the start of this season

He missed a penalty but then assisted Stockport's fifth tonight as they beat Notts County 5-2 away from home to clinch the League Two title. Despite penalty miss Stockport fans saying he played very well when he came on.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 22:41, VillaChris said:

I think Stockport will try to sign him permanently. One of those where we put a big sell on clause in the deal as you never know....

They might but I think we'd be better off holding on to him for at least another season. He'll probably get a Championship loan next season. 

I don't think we would sell him without a buyback clause, and if we were of a mind to sell I think a Championship team would take a chance on him. His output at League Two level is impressive for a striker of his young age, and he's been putting in the performances to match as well. Put him in a decent Championship team and chances are he'd do well enough at that level, so might make more sense for him to reach that level and then get a bigger fee and buyback if required.

On 13/04/2024 at 20:41, VillaChris said:

I think Stockport will try to sign him permanently. One of those where we put a big sell on clause in the deal as you never know....

I guess a deal similar to the one we did with Hull might help with FFP and would give us the buy back option. I doubt they would offer enough to make it worth it for us though, his injury came at a bad time for a sale to be made this summer, but clubs may have seen enough to make us an offer, along the lines that we have shown a willingness to consider in the past. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Says he's going to miss the Stockport team holiday because he's coming back to our first team, good that Emery and his coaching staff are going to take a look

He will go back out on loan in the summer I reckon.

Â