Tom13

44 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Barry seems a very small and very slight build so comparing him to any 17yr old that gets first team football is pointless.  He may be able to deliver against 22yr olds, with limited experience,  but the small stature means he has to go that extra mile against older opposition.  Sometimes skill can get you there (a la Messi), but whether Barry has anything close to that level of potential is a mystery at present.  If he can do it great, but throwing him in to a PL game would be asking for trouble.

Maybe he'll sparkle, but I can't think of any 17 year old that wasn't already quite well built that delivered on the top stage.

Give the lad some time,  and a loan,  then we'll get the rewards

That's why i'm saying give him some cameos. Give him 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there to start with.

Greenwood was quite lean when he first broke through into the first team.

Edited by villalad21

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That's why i'm saying give him some cameos. Give him 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there to start with.

Greenwood was quite lean when he first broke through into the first team.

Tyrone Mings is lean and pretty big! Barry is definitely a smaller build than Greenwood was when he broke through.

It would be good to give him some minutes, but this season is probably too early as who would we leave off the bench for him? Traore? Davis? 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Next step is a loan out to the championship for a season and 35+ games at that level. That will toughen him up. 

Season after that hopefully he can break into our first team. 

All our youth players need it. If they are under 18 league 1 or league 2 if they are 20/21 send them to the championship and if they aren't ready sell them before the contracts expire even if it isn't for much it keeps the academy being funded. 

• Like 2

If Manure can have Greenwood in their squad at 17 and Barcelona can have Ansu Fati in their team at 17 them I see no reason why we can't give Barry a go in the squad.

Obviously we should not rely on him or expect him to have the impact those above mentioned had from the get go but I don't see any harm in him being introduced during the season.

Will always be fans who are unrealistic or quick to judge but that won't change if he's 17, 21 or 34.

6 hours ago, sne said:

If Manure can have Greenwood in their squad at 17 and Barcelona can have Ansu Fati in their team at 17 them I see no reason why we can't give Barry a go in the squad.

Obviously we should not rely on him or expect him to have the impact those above mentioned had from the get go but I don't see any harm in him being introduced during the season.

Will always be fans who are unrealistic or quick to judge but that won't change if he's 17, 21 or 34.

Doesn't have anything to do with Barry imo - completely irrelevant. He'll be ready when he's ready.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Doesn't have anything to do with Barry imo - completely irrelevant. He'll be ready when he's ready.

All I'm saying is that just because he's young doesn't mean he can't be an option.

7 hours ago, sne said:

Having watched him a couple of times for the U23s I think he's still a little way off. If he keeps developing like he has then he deserves a shot this season though. It's about time we stop being too cautious playing youngsters, particularly when we have nothing to lose.

I'd say Chukwuemeka looks closer to being ready for the first team but, as a midfielder,  he's also more likely to cause us problems if he makes mistakes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, messi11 said:

He reminds me of Aaron Connolly the way he plays.  Kinda like a Robbie Keane type striker.
If Rushden Hepburn Murphy can play for us at 16. so can Barry. 

I wondered what Rushian had been up to. 10 games in to the Cypriot first division, he's made 4 appearances and scored 0 goals. We do have a habit of hyping up our young players a bit too much.

• Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I wondered what Rushian had been up to. 10 games in to the Cypriot first division, he's made 4 appearances and scored 0 goals. We do have a habit of hyping up our young players a bit too much.

Been speaking to a few of my friends over there. He has been injured and pretty shit apparently.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Admittedly I never watched youth games back then, but I never saw anything from Hepburn Murphy that suggested he'd make it at a high level. Same with Delfouneso.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Admittedly I never watched youth games back then, but I never saw anything from Hepburn Murphy that suggested he'd make it at a high level. Same with Delfouneso.

Delfouneso, that's a name I'd almost forgotten.

For the good of the sport, I'd like to take him, Hepburn-Murphy, and Davis, tear up their football contracts, and get them a gig at Stefan Moore's taxi company. 

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Barcelona never saw anything special in RHM though...

The fact that a world heavyweight side saw something in the kid worth signing gives this kid some credibility over a youngster who came through our youth system in one of the worst periods in our clubs recent history 

Â