Tom13

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Ha, it's a reference to the early pages of the Grealish thread (a highly recommend revisit btw) and your SGC like praise for Barry.

It’s not praise for Barry, I’ve never seen the kid play just going off what someone I know who knows him has said.

I’m normally the counter to SGC when it comes to young players who are so frequently over hyped but I suspect Barry and a few others coming through are very very good.

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It’s not praise for Barry, I’ve never seen the kid play just going off what someone I know who knows him has said.

I’m normally the counter to SGC when it comes to young players who are so frequently over hyped but I suspect Barry and a few others coming through are very very good.

Well yeah, because you were uncharacteristically talking like SGC, that was my roundabout way of jokingly calling you SGC 😁 

Quietly very excited about Barry, it's pleasing to know he simply isn't an ex La Masia flop and instead Barca wanted to keep but we blew them away with the offer for a 16 year old at the time.

One aspect of his game that will make or break his emergence is his physicality, I know he has time to develop still but it seems that his technical ability is under no doubt whatsoever but it he could fall into risk of being a little bit too diminutive for the rigours of the prem like Dan Crowley / Barry Bannan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZL- said:

Quietly very excited about Barry, it's pleasing to know he simply isn't an ex La Masia flop and instead Barca wanted to keep but we blew them away with the offer for a 16 year old at the time.

One aspect of his game that will make or break his emergence is his physicality, I know he has time to develop still but it seems that his technical ability is under no doubt whatsoever but it he could fall into risk of being a little bit too diminutive for the rigours of the prem like Dan Crowley / Barry Bannan.

Its a very good point.....we just have to let nature take its course.

Barry seems a very small and very slight build so comparing him to any 17yr old that gets first team football is pointless.  He may be able to deliver against 22yr olds, with limited experience,  but the small stature means he has to go that extra mile against older opposition.  Sometimes skill can get you there (a la Messi), but whether Barry has anything close to that level of potential is a mystery at present.  If he can do it great, but throwing him in to a PL game would be asking for trouble.

Maybe he'll sparkle, but I can't think of any 17 year old that wasn't already quite well built that delivered on the top stage.

Give the lad some time,  and a loan,  then we'll get the rewards

2 hours ago, ZL- said:

Please, don't taketh the lords name in vain

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Greenwood got first games at 17 so i don't the age thing is much of an issue.

Give him a cameo or 2 and see what he can do.

I don’t disagree with you but I haven’t seen this kid’s build - is he ready for the physical side of PL football? A 16-year-old Wayne Rooney and a 16-year-old Raheem Sterling were at very different stages of development even though both went on to be great players.

Â