Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Never like Big Brother myself at all. I'm surprised you put it in the same sentence as The Wire or the Sopranos, but I suppose this is the thread for it.

The one with Bubble was OK

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I quite enjoy Only Fools and Horses but it is incredibly over rated

I think it just ran out of steam, kind of tarnished it's reputation, just like the Simpsons really. The early series with Grandad are just pure genius.

• Like 1

There are too many supposedly famous people now and the bar for ‘celebrity’ has been set so low as to make it meaningless.

There should be a set number, nobody new gets to be famous until someone else falls off the list.

I’d put that number at or around 60. I’m willing to haggle, but not much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I think I've watched The Sopranos around 5 times now and not only is it easily one of the best shows ever, it improves on every single watch.

Never seen it (it's always been on a 'channel' I don't have), so I can't comment on The Sopranos. 

But that's something I don't 'get' - multiple watches of series. Five times? Wow. I mean, I loved Breaking Bad, I think it's one of the greatest TV series ever. But do I want to watch it again? Never. Same goes for 'Vikings', 'The Killing', 'The Bridge', 'Spiral' - loved every one. But they're done. 

(There is one exception - I have watched Heimat twice - ten years between viewings - and I may consider one more). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never seen it (it's always been on a 'channel' I don't have), so I can't comment on The Sopranos. 

But that's something I don't 'get' - multiple watches of series. Five times? Wow. I mean, I loved Breaking Bad, I think it's one of the greatest TV series ever. But do I want to watch it again? Never. Same goes for 'Vikings', 'The Killing', 'The Bridge', 'Spiral' - loved every one. But they're done. 

(There is one exception - I have watched Heimat twice - ten years between viewings - and I may consider one more). 

I think a couple of watches with a few years between can be great. I’ve watched the Wire twice, and it was great on second viewing because I noticed more of the foreshadowing and had forgotten a lot of the minor plot lines anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

The Office (UK) is the best sitcom of all time. 

The two part Christmas special is perfect TV comedy.  Flawless. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can see how if you approach the Sopranos, The Wire, or BB now, years after the hype and go in expecting one of the all time great shows you'll have had expectations built up so high that they start to fall flat, but they're all absolutely brilliant.

I don't think anything in recent years comes anywhere near the Sopranos or Wire. Also the early days of Lost. Brilliant. 

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

The one with Bubble was OK

Reminds me of one of the funniest moments ever. I still laugh about it now.

Its made funnier because you can imagine how much it hurt :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't think anything in recent years comes anywhere near the Sopranos or Wire. Also the early days of Lost. Brilliant. 

I walked away from lost after 2 episodes, felt like the cliffhangers at the end and a weeks wait for the next episode were mugging me off

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Reminds me of one of the funniest moments ever. I still laugh about it now.

Its made funnier because you can imagine how much it hurt :D 

Dean from that series lived on the next street to me. When I got to school one morning a lot of the other kids were going loopy because they’d been talking to Bubble in the corner shop. He was up here visiting Dean.

edit: I’ve just read that those pair released a song for the 2002 World Cup. Probably why he was visiting. So now I’m going to listen..

Edited by Paddywhack

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's the only drama I've done multiple watches with tbh. There's a few I've watched twice (The Wire and Breaking Bad and more recently Banshee) but Sopranos just hits the sweet spot (kengif) like nothing else for me. Superb layered storylines, incredible acting and just brilliantly written.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Designer1 said:

It's the only drama I've done multiple watches with tbh. There's a few I've watched twice (The Wire and Breaking Bad and more recently Banshee) but Sopranos just hits the sweet spot (kengif) like nothing else for me. Superb layered storylines, incredible acting and just brilliantly written.

Things I Don't Get. How the hell Banshee isn't a far more lauded/known show than it is. I think the name makes people think it's supernatural in nature or something and they avoid it on that basis. Funnily enough the guy who made it also made Warrior which would also give you a wrong impression. Maybe he's just a great writer but shit at naming things.

• Like 1

Â