Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

3 hours ago, bickster said:

The Beatles song Come Together isn't even the best song titled Come Together

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The Michael Jackson version smashes this out of the park

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

As a beatles fan, I would rank Come Together as one of their worst songs

The trouble is that there aren't any criteria beyond the way a record makes you feel.

If there was, every generation wouldn't reject everything their parents loved, and they would have loved Mario Lanza like they loved Gene Vincent.

There was a whole generation of rock fans who would become depressed just by hearing the theme tune to Sing Something Simple, while their parents smiled and sang along.

I think young people think that only their own feelings are authentic, and older people's are not.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There was a whole generation of rock fans who would become depressed just by hearing the theme tune to Sing Something Simple, while their parents smiled and sang along.

This. There were actually quite a few pre-rock era things that I liked - Glenn Miller, for example. 

But SSS was the absolute pits. 

29 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The trouble is that there aren't any criteria beyond the way a record makes you feel.

If there was, every generation wouldn't reject everything their parents loved, and they would have loved Mario Lanza like they loved Gene Vincent.

I think young people think that only their own feelings are authentic, and older people's are not.

My main takeaway from this is I am young right?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

If there was, every generation wouldn't reject everything their parents loved

I know we're generalising, but that doesn't actually happen. Sure a lot of "parents like this" stuff does get rejected, but not everything. I mean there must be, to use an example mentioned, posters on VT whose folks loved the Beatles, and they do too. Same with the Kinks, also mentioned - that's true for me at least. There will be other bands similar, like the Who, or metal bands or Rock or ...etc that both parents and kids like. Also you see at gigs sometimes, and some of my mates do this - Dad (or Mom) takes daughter/son to see such and such a band because they both love that band or artist.

I reckon there's more inter generational commonality than perhaps you do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

This is undoubtedly true for other scenarios, but when it comes to music IME it is almost always the inverse of this, with older generations completely dismissing what younger people listen to

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

This is undoubtedly true for other scenarios, but when it comes to music IME it is almost always the inverse of this, with older generations completely dismissing what younger people listen to

7af9082a3a102a39617ebcda86a4d65e.jpg

19 hours ago, blandy said:

I know we're generalising, but that doesn't actually happen. Sure a lot of "parents like this" stuff does get rejected, but not everything. I mean there must be, to use an example mentioned, posters on VT whose folks loved the Beatles, and they do too. Same with the Kinks, also mentioned - that's true for me at least. There will be other bands similar, like the Who, or metal bands or Rock or ...etc that both parents and kids like. Also you see at gigs sometimes, and some of my mates do this - Dad (or Mom) takes daughter/son to see such and such a band because they both love that band or artist.

I reckon there's more inter generational commonality than perhaps you do.

Yep, imagine taking your young daughter to see Sigur Ros aged 10 or whatever she was, she's 28 this month and still listening to them

The whole rebelling against the parents was more relevant in the teds to -punks era but post-punk, I don't think that happens anymore

Because from that era onwards, parents stopping telling their kids to turn that rubbish off and listened to it themselves more because they grew up rebelling themselves and understood the situation more, the musical parent/kid interface totally changed, and there was nothing to rebel against (generalizing of course)

It went from turn that rubbish off to, that's cool who is it?

This also coincides with the end of the youth cult phenomenon

• Like 3

On generational music tastes.

Think possession clouds this discussion a bit?

Pre streaming, you wanted your own sounds and usually had a limited budget, so you were more focused. 

It's more listening now, which is brilliant. Good riddance to the NME on taste matters. 

Then there's a noticeable revival of the 90s, within an overarching revival of everything. To some extent that's rebranding old music as new music.

The youth effectively have everything, without knowing what they have?

In my experience, demonstrate you're a useful guide, then they listen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xann said:

On generational music tastes.

Think possession clouds this discussion a bit?

Pre streaming, you wanted your own sounds and usually had a limited budget, so you were more focused. 

It's more listening now, which is brilliant. Good riddance to the NME on taste matters. 

Then there's a noticeable revival of the 90s, within an overarching revival of everything. To some extent that's rebranding old music as new music.

The youth effectively have everything, without knowing what they have?

In my experience, demonstrate you're a useful guide, then they listen.

Going back to find "new" stuff is miles better than trying to find actual new stuff imo

On the whole parent thing I'm the opposite, my parents were in to music but not die hards by any stretch, I would say I'm still to this day a huge fan of my mom's car music which was mostly motown, non disco bee gees and Abba, good music is just good music I'd say a number of people listen to motown with their parents, that's the one that feels the most timeless and cross generational to me* my dad was working with him listening to heart FM in the 90s and I'd say that leads me to know a ton of songs without necessarily liking them

* As something that would be an unpopular opinion in my mind - who doesn't like motown?

Â