Ron Saunders RIP

Talldarkandransome

12 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Boxing Day tribute would be magic. 

Yes he managed Norwich aswell for four years. Think it makes sense for that as I imagine with it being announced yesterday it will be too short notice for a few of the 82 boys to get back for today to pay tribute at the ground.

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is there film footage of this? Can't remember it at all 

It was pre kick off v Man. United in December 2006 so if you search for the match on YT they might show it beforehand. At the time he hadn't set foot in VP to watch us since he left. He later came back for the 0-0 v Portsmouth later that season and then the 25th anniversary celebration game v Sheffield United with rest of 82 boys, that was a magnificent day and game.

Don't know if he came to any games after that season but of course declining health would've started to be a factor.

I'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears last night. This hit me hard. I was born in 71 so he was practically the first Villa manager I remember, and whose teams made me fall in love with this beautiful game and club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

He went the way of my dad. A horrible disease. I feel like I have lost something special to me. There are many fans left that remember this great man and what he did for Aston Villa.

So sad so sad. He brought Happy times and happy memories. I still have his autograph. A true Villa legend 

I was at the away match at Arsenal when we lost but won the league at the same time, because Mborough had beaten Ipswich. Such a sad passing.  

My heart goes out to your family. Because your family is our family 

That day, Highbury was just a sea of claret and blue. I even remember Pele coming on to the pitch before the game, great times to be a Villan. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That day, Highbury was just a sea of claret and blue. I even remember Pele coming on to the pitch before the game, great times to be a Villan. 

Yep. I was there. Got very drunk that night. 

20 hours ago, 1974Centenary said:

When your young, people in sports leave you with such a good feeling inside that upon their passing they leave you with a feeling of sadness ,Bob willis earlier this week and now Ron saunders. I recall my dad and me signing a petition to bring him back,but obviously to no avail.Thanks Ron.

Yes Villa in the winter, Warwickshire in the summer. My two loves, Willis and Ron were a big part of that. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Very basic from the club today. The tribute to Ron seemed to play second fiddle.

I thought exactly the same. Gay pride banners everywhere. couple of Saunders banners near the tunnel. Absolute joke.

Massive opportunity missed in front of the camera's. Holte enders should of been working thru the night on a massive banner to fill the lower tier. the least that could of been done for a man who brought us so much glory. Very Poor!

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I too was there that day and my claim to fame is that i was on the pitch with Pele!

Ok so i jumped on the pitch as i couldn't get a ticket so had gone in the North bank with my Villa colours on and worked my way along the terrace to the corner by the Villa fans and when some trouble kicked off i took the chance to jump on the pitch, whilst Pele was receiving a round of applause in the centre circle, and leapt onto the fence to climb into the Villa fans lol! Oh the memories!

Â