Ron Saunders RIP

Talldarkandransome

Before my time, but the stuff I've heard and watched over the years has made me feel a connection with him. Especially the fact he managed players like Brian Little, Andy Gray and Nigel Spink, who were such a big part of my childhood as a Villa fan. It's funny how those little threads run through the different eras.

RIP. A life well lived.

33 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Is there film footage of this? Can't remember it at all 

It was during the lap of honor I think, no TV for that.

• Thanks 1

He went the way of my dad. A horrible disease. I feel like I have lost something special to me. There are many fans left that remember this great man and what he did for Aston Villa.

So sad so sad. He brought Happy times and happy memories. I still have his autograph. A true Villa legend 

I was at the away match at Arsenal when we lost but won the league at the same time, because Mborough had beaten Ipswich. Such a sad passing.  

My heart goes out to your family. Because your family is our family 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tegis said:

It was during the lap of honor I think, no TV for that.

You might be right, but my memory says it was a midweek game, not that Sheffield United weekend one, Tegis. I have it in mind it was maybe the next season, about October time. But I might be completely wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

You might be right, but my memory says it was a midweek game, not that Sheffield United weekend one, Tegis. I have it in mind it was maybe the next season, about October time. But I might be completely wrong.

Looks like United in the background. We havent had the 82 boys together at other times right?

image.png.ac38d71ed9bd8d82f132c65c5dc0e629.png

3 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Looks like United in the background. We havent had the 82 boys together at other times right?

Oh the team one in your vid and pic is definitely Sheff Utd at the end of the season. But I think Ron Saunders trip back to VP was maybe 5 or 6 months later, for a midweek game. I don't think the old players were on the pitch for Ron's return. I'm sure someone will remember more clearly than me the timing of it all. But it's less the date than the feeling and the nostalgia and Saunders being back after many years and the acclaim he got. It was lovely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think he was there during a winter game probably vs United think it was the Scholes wondergoal game. Was around Christmas 

Sheffield United game was when the 82 team was celebrated. We also got the Proud History Bright Future scarves

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Oh the team one in your vid and pic is definitely Sheff Utd at the end of the season. But I think Ron Saunders trip back to VP was maybe 5 or 6 months later, for a midweek game. I don't think the old players were on the pitch for Ron's return. I'm sure someone will remember more clearly than me the timing of it all. But it's less the date than the feeling and the nostalgia and Saunders being back after many years and the acclaim he got. It was lovely.

Ah, all research in vain :D.  And I keep blanking out that Saunders was "not part" of 82

Edited by Tegis

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think he was there during a winter game probably vs United think it was the Scholes wondergoal game. Was around Christmas 

Sheffield United game was when the 82 team was celebrated. We also got the Proud History Bright Future scarves

Definitely UTD, this may have been one of the last games I took the old chap to see 

So sad to hear.

So many memories of following Villa home and away during the seventies......thanks for these Ron

Thoughts with family and friends

RIP Ron

Edited by newhavenhibby

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

He most certainly was a part of 82. It was his team playing his way that made us Champions of Europe. 

Thats why I put it in "" ;)

• Like 2

Best times of my villa life were under this legend of a man, we all believed in a team that gave everything they had for this guy who was a major taskmaster and disciplinarian. We will never see the like again so a very big Thank You Sir Ron , rest with the stars and always be admired by villa fans.

RIP Ron

Â